1. Estragon64

Estragon64 Member

Playing agents against each other

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Estragon64, Feb 25, 2023.

Apologies if this has been covered before; I'm not sure how to search on this subject.

An agent just requested my full manuscript. Naturally, I have queried other agents, and not heard back from them yet.

Is it permissible to inform these other agents about the request for the MS, or should I wait until I get an offer of representation before I notify them?

2. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I’d edit that title before you get the piss taken out

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You wait for an offer. A full request is nothing. Don't get me wrong, it's a big, positive step, but you've still got a ways to go. Out of hundreds of full requests, the agency might pick three to represent.

There really isn't much to "pit" at the agency stage. There's no money involved until a deal is reached with a publisher, then it becomes a different ballgame. But should you be lucky enough to have multiple offers of representation, I guess you would weigh which agent you think can get you better placement or a better deal. I mean Stephen King's agent is probably better than the agent equivalent of Joe Schmoe.

Good luck!

deadrats and Estragon64 like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

And to be honest even when (if) you get an offer there’s no need to tell the other agents you’ve queried unless they come to you

you’re not going to have agents competing to represent you unless you are Steven king or James Patterson and the like

Estragon64 likes this.
  5. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Check the submission guidelines for the other agents you've queried. I know a few that ask you keep them updated with other full requests or offers of representation.

PiP and Estragon64 like this.
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I've heard that *IF* you get an offer of representation it's OK to send a message to any agents with outstanding queries with a subject line of 'Offer Received' and I'm not sure how the rest of the subject line or email should read (maybe the same as the original email you sent?), but it's just a courtesy in case they want to move it up in their queue or take another look at it, not an attempt to play them off each other.

But this is purely anecdotal and I wouldn't do it if the agent guidelines say not to do it. reddit r/pubtips may have more info.

Fiender_, deadrats and Estragon64 like this.