1. AmbzM

AmbzM New Member

Please help! New writer. Struggling with my grammar and writing in past tense.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by AmbzM, Sep 9, 2019.

Hi everyone.

I am new to creative writing and I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out a bit with my grammar and also let me know if I have written this in the past tense third person. I am dyslexic so writing has always been really difficult for me. I would love so much to learn how to write correctly but I am fully aware in order to do this I will need to find out where I am going wrong. I would be incredibly grateful to anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out.

I am fully aware I will have likely made a lot of mistakes in this piece of writing. I have tried really hard with it, but I'm aware I have still got a lot to learn so I'm expecting lots of harsh but kind criticism.

Thank you in advance.

Ambz

[piece deleted by moderator - work for critique can only be posted in the workshop , when you meet the requirments]

Forum Rules

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2019
  2. Rancid_Old_Git

Rancid_Old_Git New Member

I'm very curious to see what you posted, I'm always curious when things get moderated.
    I also have an interest in Dyslexia as my daughter is dyslexic and so am I, a bit.
    It doesn't have to stop you writing well, you just have to learn how to make things work for you.
    If you want to PM me something to read I'll comment on it. If you're new to creative writing though, the most important thing is just to write and worry about fixing the mess later.
    I totally hated the whole idea of learning the technicalities of tenses and participles etc, I found it easier to just write first and then research the technical stuff when it became important to what I was doing, doing it that way also made the learning a lot more interesting.

3. aModernHeathen

aModernHeathen Banned

I think you can't share your own writing for quite some time here as a new member. I'm not sure what the specific rules are, but it looks like a moderator linked you to the rules in your original post. Maybe instead of posting a piece of your story, you can just give an example sentence that you think has some questionable grammar? From there, maybe some of us can suggest different grammar exercises, books or apps. I own a copy of Essentials of English: A practical handbook covering all the rules of English grammar and writing style.

I believe it's a textbook, so it's probably quite a dry read, but it may be a good thing to pick up for reference. Though I'm sure by now there are updated versions of this book, or maybe similar books that are more modern. I bought this some years ago at a half-price book store. I also have an app on my phone called Grammar Test for android.

Here's a link I found for some good grammar apps on android: https://www.androidauthority.com/best-grammar-apps-android-846083/

I'm sure you can find similar apps for iPhone.

Good luck.

Rancid_Old_Git likes this.