1. tajo

tajo New Member

Chapter name, plot reveal?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by tajo, Mar 6, 2017.

I don't really know the protocol when it comes to naming chapters. Is it a crime to name a chapter something that reveals what happens IN said chapter?
    For example "Chapter 5: The Destruction Of The Runestone."
    Is that too much of a spoiler to what happens in the chapter if the Runestone gets destroyed? Should I be more vague? "Chapter 5: The Power Of The Runestone."

2nd question, what if it's kind of obvious in the previous chapter that the Runestone is going to get destroyed... maybe it's hinted at but you don't quite know what will happen. Would it be appropriate to say "Chapter 5: The Destruction Of The Runestone." then?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Too on the nose for my taste. Why not just "Chapter 5: Destruction"? It's still on point without being so on the nose, and it allows for a broader interpretation, in case you use the destruction of the rune stone as a symbol for something larger.

zoupskim likes this.
  3. tajo

tajo New Member

Hmmm, if it's "Chapter 5: Destruction." And the only thing that gets destroyed is the Runestone, that might be a bit disappointing XD
    It's also a bit Diablo 2-ish.

4. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I've read a few books where I had to avoid reading the index because of chapter names giving away the plot. One book I read the first few chapters and lost my place, then had to look at the index to find where I was. My eyes glanced down the page and the chapter name for the second to last chapter gave away the ending! I never did finish that book . . .

Long story short, no I don't think it's a good idea to give away spoilers. What keeps a reader going is wondering what's going to happen next, so giving that "next" away in the chapter name is likely going to make you lose readers.

But for your first draft? Yeah, spoilers are okay. Who knows, you might come up with a brilliant chapter name while you're writing chapter 15!

5. tajo

tajo New Member

Fair point.... I will be more vague. Maybe "Chapter 5: A Runestones Fate." or does that STILL give too much away?

6. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I think that could work if the reader's know the characters are going to try to destroy it. That way it gives nothing away except what the reader knows (the runestone will either be destroyed or not).

ETA: It would be "A Runestone's Fate," with an apostrophe. ;)

7. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Absolutely, definitely, certainly not.

8. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

I think it is, I hate spoilers! I agree with @Wreybies, why not just call it "Destruction" and let it be vague? Unless, as @Elven Candy has said, the readers already know it will be destroyed and the chapter is about how it happens. Totally different approach. If it's going to be a surprise, don't tell it in the title.

Elven Candy likes this.
  9. Number 7

Number 7 Member

Honest to god I just name my chapters random names. Sometimes It really bothers me too because I like to have the chapter reference something in the story and due to my weird form of OCD, I have to name everything. Sometimes I try to make them rhyme, so their catchy, sometimes its just ominous phrases. But if we're talking about the correct way to name chapters (if there is one) then chapters should be named by the events the encompass. For example; I'm reading a book set in the Warhammer 40k Universe, which titles its chapters after what they entail, one is called Planetfall, which details the arrival of the main characters to the planet the book will take place on for the majority of the story.

Its a good idea to help organize and direct the readers attention to what exactly they will discover in these few pages.

Elven Candy likes this.