1. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Plot change mid story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CMastah, Mar 28, 2017.

In my story my male main character is told he's the chosen one and needs to go find an artifact, one which will save/safeguard their species (he's only ever known his own tribe (who are all massacred prior to him being told this), the rest of his species live far, FAR to the north). Even though he would search for this artifact (this being the original plot), he doesn't personally care about it and is at a loss for what he really wants. He then discovers someone he cared about actually survived (she's the SECOND main character), and at this point he ditches the quest for the artifact and instead tries to find a home for the two of them (first with humans who he realizes will only be a danger to them, and then with his own people, but then realizes he needs the artifact to save his people and ensure there's a home to go to).

I'm worried this change of plot, from searching for the artifact to trying to find a home for him and his friend will be jarring or frustrating for the reader. The primary thing is that the main character half-heartedly searches for the artifact at first and then only does so in earnest for the sake of a future for him and his friend.

Is that going to be an issue? I was hoping that the male character's experiences during his journey and his character development would be the meat of the story, as the plot ULTIMATELY is about him creating a home for him and his friend, but he doesn't find out about his friend being alive until later in the story, not as far as being mid section but very late into the early stage (VERY late, long after he's had a few experiences, discovered his abilities and formed a contract with the people taking care of him).

2. Jane with dyslexic flag

Jane with dyslexic flag Member

hmm I like the plot mostly.
    But if at start the main character doesn't care and who is doing barely any effort to complete the main goal is frustrating to me.
    Could I suggest to say he is into it because he is told he is the only one who could complete the task but gets assigned helpers who die as he goes about it.
    So he starts to lose heart still barely trying he resolve shaken, doubts arise and secrets he hadn't know comes to light but then he finds his friend and try to find them someplace to live and you keep following your plot.
    Sounds like a good concept which can be filled with much heart and heartache, intrigue and secrets, keep it up, and I hoped I helped a bit.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't see it being a problem - you haven't really changed plots, you've just not told the whole plot to the audience. As long as the MC has adventures and overcomes risks and whatever in the first part (so it's not BORING), I don't think it's a big deal for him to essentially get a better reason for pursuing the goal part way through.