1. Cat B

Cat B New Member

Plot Devolpment for story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cat B, Sep 20, 2016.

Hello, I am writing a action/drama/supernatural script/novel I guess for something I want to turn into a manga comic.
    However I seem to keep finding myself stumped on how to begin a new chapter, and which way is the best way to take the story to Develop the plot. I don't want to take it the wrong direction for readers to get bored or tire of my characters, how does one confront this problem?
    I have the plot written in points, the important points and where it needs to go but breaking it down into more detailed chapters seems to be exhausting -_-
    Any tips or tricks?
    I'm five chapters into the story

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Are you trying to meticulously plan all of the chapters and subsections? Some people do well extensively planning, some do not. That might be hanging you up a bit.

Other than that, I don't think there's really a formulaic approach to making sure your plot develops in a way that will be engaging to readers. It kind of works with an intuitive understanding of how a story works. Narrative discourse and the like.

Sometimes I am so close to a project that I get caught up with things like that. Maybe try stepping away for a bit. Or find a person who has similar interests and bounce ideas off of them.

ETA: read A LOT of works that are similar to yours. Or as similar as you can find. Critically evaluate what is working and how the writer achieved what it is you like.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  3. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

The disclaimer here is that this is what works for me. Might be it'll work for you too, so give it a go and see. If it doesn't... try something else. There's lots of different ways of writing, and they all work for someone.

But for me: don't worry too much about the best way of taking your story somewhere. Just find a way, and take it from there.

I'm very much on the planning end of the spectrum. Without an overall plot outline and plans for the at least next few scenes, I find it very hard to start.

My scene plans usually take the form of:

Who's driving the scene?
    What do they want?
    How do they enter the scene?
    Where do I want them to get to?

Those answers make a plan. The plan lets me write.

But once I've started writing, I'll barely ever stick to the plan I created. It's really hard not to get halfway through a story and then think of something better because you're so much more immersed in it.

You can go back later. You can change things. Just get some words on a page.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.