?

How many novels can you work on simultaneously?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2008.
  1. Only one

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Two or more

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Hulk

Hulk Banned

One novel or two?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Hulk, Mar 28, 2008.

I readily get ideas for a novel, but when i am working on it, no new ideas come to me. It's only after i've finished or abandoned the current novel that ideas come once again. Because of this, i can't work on two projects at the same time. I rather think that this is because one novel is exhausting enough to be working on.

Is this the same issue with anyone else?

2. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Crap! I meant to post it in the General writing section, but i accidentally posted it here. Can one of the mods move it to the right place?

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I can work on two, but not with good potential. It gets tiring, I can't concentrate on the story if I do more than one. So I prefer one. When I'm in the vibe, I can write half a novel in a week, but since the vibe is different for each story, I can't write more than one novel.

4. pegasi_quill

pegasi_quill New Member

Flat. Currently by the window. Staring out, in f
    Hmm, can't say I've tried two at once. But seeing as I have loads of work to do all the time, I barely have a spare moment to work on one.

Still, if you have the free time, I think there's no reason why you shouldn't work on two, if that's what you want.

5. Edward

Edward Active Member

HaHA! Two novels? What am I made of novel writing things? I'm more like one half at a time.

I had two ideas, and I completely forgot one of them until I found an old post I made.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I readily have three or four going on at the same time and i work on them as I see fit. I'm just chalk full of ideas :p.

7. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 New Member

I'm the same, last couple of times I've been writing I've had sudden flashes of ideas that I just couldn't let up and ened up writing the opening to and really getting into it.

Probly shouldn't do it really because I'm always converting my books into screenplays so its all a bit confusing :D

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I generally work on a single project at a time...novel or short story. Sometimes I stop and complete an article, or set a short story aside after the first draft...letting it sit and work on another before going back to it.

Just the way my mind and thought process works. I may get ideas, but I just jot them in a file for later--so they're not forgotten.

Terry

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I often work on two at a time. That way, when writer's block strikes with its antiwritery lasers, I can leave one project to work on the next. Keeps the muse coming back.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've always been able to work on many writing projects at once, both fiction and non- so i can't relate to that, i'm glad to say... the good thing about being multi-tasking is that when you're stuck on one thing, you can work on another for a while, then come back to it with a fresh perspective...

11. InPieces

InPieces New Member

At the moment, i ahve two in the process.

12. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

I'm afraid I don't 'do' multi-tasking. Don't get me wrong, I've tried, but it's a no-go. Yes, I can leave a project aside when it gets on top of me and shape another, but I've found it's better for me to focus on the one piece, whether it's a play, short story or novel. I suppose it's whatever suits the individual. The main thing is to get it finished.

13. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

I'm one of the multi-tasking people. I can't just sit and write one novel at a time, I have too many idea's and things that inspire me to work on only one thing. I find that I get bored and become blocked if I'm only working on the one piece. At the moment I have two Novel's I'm working on and a variety of Fan Fictions that I dabble in.

~|Frosty|~