Tags:
  1. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

Plot hole help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by samgallenberger, Jan 24, 2018.

Hi guys and gals,

New poster here. I'm working on a bunch of different stories for an interconnected universe and I'm really struggling with how I can make this one plot detail of a story work. I'd be very appreciative of any advice/assistance anyone could offer.

Here is my situation:

MC has been thrown in a prison for gifted individuals along with his nemesis after they collectively destroyed a city. This prison separates individuals cells based on how dangerous they are to society ranging from level 1 to level 5. MC is level 4. All of their abilities are also suppressed inside the facility. When they aren't in their cells anyone from level 1 to level 4 can interact with each other freely. Due to this MC befriends polite level 2 guy early on. Throughout the book you hear rumors and references to the only two level 5 criminals. One that no one has ever seen because he's so far locked away and the other that supposedly hasn't moved in years.

Something happens and the prison suppression system goes offline. Now nemesis is using his powers to escape. MC and his buddy try to stop him. On the way they grab this old tool that was confiscated from his buddy. They get to the exit and all of a sudden his buddy goes and slaughters the guards and the nemesis easily using this tool. He thanks the MC for helping him escape and vanishes. He was the level 5 who supposedly hasn't moved in years.

My problem here is I have no idea how I can explain how a level 5 has just been wandering around in the open for the last few years when his powers have nothing to do with shape-shifting or mind control. My original thought was he killed a guard and used that dead body to replace himself in the cell. Obviously someone would notice that over a few years span though.

2. Ashley Bird

Ashley Bird Member

Could he be connected to some one high up in the prison that could have given him special treatment?

Or he could have shown some change over the years in prison, appeared good (or almost good anyway) and helped a guard or something. They gave him a break because of it and let him go down a few levels thinking that he was a changed man.

samgallenberger and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site!
    Let's say that I'm a new guard at a prison where Ted Bundy is supposed to be in solitary confinement, and let's say there's a rumor that Ted Bundy hasn't moved in his cell for years. Let's say that I'm doing my rounds one day and I see a guy in the cafeteria who looks exactly like Ted Bundy. If I don't turn him in, the only explanations are 1) I suck at my job so completely that I would never have gotten the job in the first place, or 2) I'm in on it.

Whatever else your level 5 is doing on his own, he's definitely getting a lot of help from up top.

samgallenberger likes this.
  4. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

While this is a really good point, there are a few things that may add a little more context. Level 5 criminals are so dangerous that only a handful at best have actually ever seen these guys. In this specific guys case, he came in as a child probably 30-40 years ago and when they tested him, his abilities were off the charts so they locked him away in a place no one would ever get to him. So he wouldn't have a very recognizable face or situation and with turnover we are maybe talking 3-5 people who have ever been close enough to see this guy. The point you and Ashley Bird make is definitely the most logical one. My only issues are 1) From what I know of the character there isn't anyone who would dare expose themselves to his presence and 2) If he has an in with the higher ups he either would've already gotten out or tricked someone into giving him his tool-which would then lead to him already being free.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. Ashley Bird

Ashley Bird Member

Could he have a reason for escaping now? You would have to make up a reason he stayed as well but it could be something as simple as the only life he really knew.

6. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

That's a good thought. I'm sure I could make that something along those lines work.

7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Why hadn't the other guards shared his picture around if he was one of the threats they thought was most important?

8. samgallenberger

samgallenberger Member

That's another good point. I could probably explain it away as you need special access for that but then I'm kind of going out of my way for minor details. I'm glad I brought this up before I started getting this story written.

9. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

No one noticed the other gadget he was carrying: the SEP Field Generator (Somebody Else's Problem)

10. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

What are his powers? Is it possible he is so powerful the suppressor didn't work on him but he played along with it until the time was right to escape?

11. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

I agree with everyone. He would definitely have to have outside help. And a lot of people had a lot of different things suggestions that would be fun to try and see if you can get them to work. What about something simple like a stolen identity? He may be level 5, but he may not be notorious. Everyone knows the serial killer Ted Bundy. but there are a lot of serial killers you don't know about. And he doesn't have to have mind powers to be manipulative. What if he manipulates one of the inmates to trade places? What if he manipulates the warden to "go lax with the rules." The warden figures, "You know he's a good kid." Lets him out, knowing it's against the rules, but figuring that since he can't use his powers, what's the worst that can happen?