Tags:
  1. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Plot Questions

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Viserion, Oct 13, 2020.

So, here's my book plot (rewritten yet again) The MC, Arsien, is the disgraced son of an Archon (a regional governor). He seves in the military to undo the shame of his scandal, which goes swimmingly until the army he's in is mostly obliterated by the other MC, Elenxes (who has supernatural powers). He's taken hostage, and the book really gets going.

So, my questions: How to realistically depict him winning 'freedom' and respect from these vaguely Crusader-Viking-Aztec raider folks? How to make him get close enough to Elenxes to strike up a friendship?

I'll clarify anything if needed.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Clearly Arsien must have something Elenxes needs. And probably the more mundane the better... like learning to read or play chess or fight with a (insert random fantasy weapon). That would seem to be the basis of "friendship" in a hostage situation, unless Elenxes is super lonely and Arsien is the only one who understands him. Or something of the like.

Viserion likes this.
  3. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

That's a good point!

So, now I need to find a way for Arsien to gain the respect of his captors.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’m being rather hypocritical here because I used to post for plot help when I first joined the forum. But I can now see that for what it was, namely a form of procrastination.

This is your book, your story and your plot, and when all’s said and done it needs to be you that finds workarounds and solutions for any plot issues. If not, your book will effectively be a collaboration.

5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Have a look at examples from history. Plenty of well to do lords and leaders were captured by the enemy. Usually they were freed after paying a ransom, not earning respect. Why would they acre about that? If he is worth something, they'll ransom him. If not, why keep him around? Enslave him or kill him.

Viserion likes this.
  6. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Elenxes takes one look at his captor and immediately fall in love. Here is a young man trained to be a courtier, who dances and fences with the reflexes of a panther, whose disposition is sweet and his conversation pleasing, and whose disgrace is the sweet kiss of a taboo on his prying mind; but Arsien is the enemy, and Elenxes' feelings must be hidden lest he lose the respect and discipline of his men. There are already rumours of him floating amongst loose tongues in court! So Elenxes has to first fight off his emotions, and grows miserable with the dull opera of the war, before submitting and giving himself the challenge of keeping Arsien alive while his troops want him ransomed or else killed.

Arsien does not reciprocate the emotions, but instead uses Elenxes' lust to his advantage, plotting at first his escape, layering on a sweet beguiling syrup. He must suffer through uncomfortable midnight rendezvouses at first, but eventually grows to admire Elenxes and his supernatural powers. But wait! Is that Elenxes using his powers to manipulate Arsien's feelings? He feels himself growing... fonder... fonder... fonder... but what is real? I have struck up my friendship - but was this all a plot to trap me here forever, as the gentleman of his bedchamber???

Viserion likes this.
  7. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Yes, I'm aware, it's just that I like having others to bounce ideas off of.
    Good point. Part of my explanation is that Elenxes's people only care about how 'worthy' you are (for lack of a better term). Remember that movie, Dances with Wolves? Sorta like that.
    I'm laughing and crying. This is great, and now I can't stop imagining my book as a rom-com. Lol, thanks.