1. wiggons

wiggons New Member

My story.........

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wiggons, May 26, 2009.

Hey.

Ok. Lesson learnt. My mistake.

Thanks.

2. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Don't do this. Don't post this. It won't help you, and in my experience it's one way to insure that your story dies before it has a chance.

As I'm sure Cogito will tell you soon enough, sharing plot summaries is a bad idea. But in my experience, it's a story-killer. It locks your shifting, amorphous plot concept- which, for all I know, might be the most brilliant novel since Don Quixote- and locks it down. Locks it down when it's just in the planning stages And here's the kicker- you've now told the story.

The entire purpose of a story is to be told. From beginning to end, those haunting nights and weekends where you couldn't think of anything else, that was the story itching to be told. It's trying to get you to tell it.

I haven't read the summary yet. I don't want to. It's not finished. But in your mind, and I really hope it isn't true for you, it is. The story is out. It's been posted to a public forum and thus it's been told. It's done.

If you're lucky, your mind won't be beset by new stories that also demand telling. Stories that quickly drown out this one. That's how stories work. Once one's been told, the mind starts thinking of new ones. It doesn't need to tell that one anymore.

TL;DR: Read the forum headers before you post.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As heralded by B-Gas:

4. wiggons

wiggons New Member

Thanks to you both..........woops. I probably should have read the guide for new members..........I think i will now. Thanks guys.

5. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Good on you.