Tags:
  1. Sctt859

Sctt859 New Member

Here is what I am brainstorming so far "Paladins and Priest"

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sctt859, Dec 16, 2009.

I wanted to take it into a different direction, instead of wizards and witches and arcane magic, I wanted to make it about holy spells and abilities, a book based on Paladins and Priest, holy men and women.

So far I want the story to focus on three main characters, all who are young adults who when they become the age of fifteen then go to a school to train into different holy specializations. Such as the Paladin can use Physical attacks and defensive and holy abilities that increase their power. The priest is a holy fanatic that is your typical caster, has blessed words for healing, protection and damage.

The story would not revolve around school but it would just be the starting main focus to gain knowledge about the three characters, who they are etc.

The story`s main focus is all about religion, corruption and backstabbing. Everything the bible tells us had came true, a demonic attack on the world completely destroys it, demons now rule earth, a small number of remaining survivors were lead to a holy land created by gods Arch Angel where no demon can enter.

The Arch Angel then gives a few of the survivors abilities to protect themselves and blessings these survivors were the original Paladins and Priest. Their holy land over time became a whole civilization but over the course of the story, the holy land slowly becomes corrupted due to trusted high leaders who also become corrupt.

Another demon attack starts and the focus will be on the three main heroes who try to defend their land and make it holy once again, but also must deal with demons, going out and exploring the demonic world, dealing with the corrupt leaders and eventually confronting the main demon.

This is mostly a brain storming idea, not the actual story or anything like that, I would love any advice or any other ideas of what I should add or take away from the story. Thank you :)

2. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Sounds good to me. Kind of reminds me of the universe in Blizzard's Diablo action RPG series. My only advice is this: Be careful of cliche. Everyone in the genre knows that paladins and priests are supposed to be holy warriors, but having the paladin be this super-nobel fortress of morality and the priest be this ultra-fanatic zealot is going to be the same old same old. Try to diverge from the formula a little. I think that'll make them even more interesting. :)

3. Sctt859

Sctt859 New Member

Ah your right, I was very worried about being cliche with them.

The one way I was going to go was to make the Paladins not the typical white knights in shining armor. Especially one of the main characters who happens to be a paladin will be very snobbish and not want to really help any one but gain power for himself. Paladins will seem a lot more like brutish warriors well some any way, then the ones you see in every day fantasy.

I am trying to pick it limb from limb so it does not sound to cliche. You are right though, it will have a diablo-esq feel to it.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

5. Sctt859

Sctt859 New Member

Thank you

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to ditto that...

7. Calrootpeg

Calrootpeg New Member

If the idea stirs you, write it. (Haven't figured out the cut and paste of this site yet.)

Exactly!

Story first... it's what sells. If you can tear or goose bump with your own words, it's passion, and passion can't be manufactured or taught. Like your theme, divine intervention might be at work creating your passion.

Go with it!!!! :)