1. FeloniousMonk

FeloniousMonk New Member

Plot Struggles

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by FeloniousMonk, Feb 24, 2009.

Ok, so here is the deal. I have an idea, but some of the nuances of writing said idea are a bit beyond my ability to properly address. I am seeking some advice on the how to get it right.

Short summary of the plot:

Character A is a true fourth dimension being. Essentially, this entails that he knows every moment of his existence from beginning to end as if it were right now. A bit complicated to express easily, but in execution is comes down to him expecting to know what will occur. In philosophical terms, a true determinist. In the process of living A encounters another character, G, that through some means is able to effect the time line in which A lives in a way that A is unable to know. The relationship that develops essentially gives A the ability to choose other than what he knows will happen. This process allows him to remember (as we would remember the past) the time line in which he has just left, major events and some details, but not flawless knowledge and then in the instant that the change has happened, he knows everything about the new time line.

The whole book quickly becomes a sneaky discourse on determinism and free will. B allows A to change things in ways he is unable to understand until he has performed the action. My problem comes in with how to handle conveying this new life he will immediately know with reality in a normal human view of time.

How far down the rabbit hole should I go with each new choice? What is the best way to handle these sections of immediate knowledge (which will inevitably be changed by later actions) with what is happening in the now?

I can include some of my drafts for the characters if it will help you understand how things progress, but I really need to get this kink worked out before I get to much further in to the project.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

So it doesn't matter what you decide to do with the plot design, except as far as your ability limits how well you communicate it to the reader.

3. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Hi, sounds very interesting. I would go with dialogue, or using symbolism. Character A uses symbolisms that us humans can understand. If you start that early on...should help us follow the story better.

Good luck.