1. G.Spades

G.Spades New Member

Plot Twist or Shocking Revelation?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by G.Spades, Mar 6, 2017.

Hello,

Just as the title says, is there a difference between a plot twist and a shocking revelation? Should there be a difference?

These days it seems people are more than ready to scream "Plot twist!" at anything shocking that happens in a story, but sometimes the surprising event does nothing to change the course of the plot.

Then again, is there really any merit to exploring the possible distinction between these two terms?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this...

P.S. I believe I haven't encountered a thread about this topic yet, but if there is one I apologize for my poor research skills...

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Not really in my opinion. I suppose you could parse it and say that a shocking revelation twists the information rather than the actual direction of the story. When Luke discovers that Darth Vader is his father the plot doesn't shift much but everything we've seen and come to know about the story demands a reevaluation at that point. Not a huge difference but I suppose there's one to be debated.

Rosacrvx likes this.
  3. Parker101

Parker101 Member

Personally, I believe that it's possible for a shocking revelation not to be a plot twist quite easily. For instance, the reveal of a murderer at the end of a murder mystery is not a plot twist, as we knew this revelation was coming but it can be shocking. On the other hand, it seems impossible for a plot twist not to be a shocking revelation, as for it to be a twist it must be unknown. Reading back over this it seems a little confusing but i hope you get what i mean...

4. tajo

tajo New Member

To farther complicate things.... is a plot turn different than a plot twist? What about a plot weave?

5. Siena

Siena Senior Member

Well, for example, I guess you could say the end of the original Planet of the Apes, where we see the statue of liberty and realize we've been on Earth all the time, could be called a shocking revelation. And that it's not a plot twist because it's at the end; not continuing the plot; not radically altering in another direction.

But I don't think it's worth overthinking this one.

Rosacrvx likes this.