1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

What are some magazines that I could submit poetry to FREE?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Oct 15, 2016.

I stumbled upon many magazines and some of them require 20$ to submit poetry. I actually got stuck in one of these deals and gave 20$ to submit a poem.

Any info or links will be appreciated! Thanks:)

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

You can flip through this - reading fees aren't listed on the main database but you can narrow to your genre and check out each one individually.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Unless that $20 was a contest fee, it sounds like a scam. Why would you ever pay $20 to submit work? How much is that place paying for poetry? Some places charge a few dollars to submit online. I'm not a fan of this practice, but it has become somewhat popular at many publications. You can look on places like duotrope.com for publications. It's basically a database of all the magazines and literary journals out there. It's $5 a month but so worth it. Still, if you're not actually reading the poetry in these publications, there is only a slim chance at best any place decent will take your work. Not all publications are created equal. Start reading good poetry in good publications and then you will have a better idea of where to send your work.

4. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Scam.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Paying and non-paying magazine markets are plentiful. You should not need to pay to submit a poem or a short story.
    That's an excellent link, @izzybot. Thanks for sharing it.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.