Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobinobin

Tobinobin Member

Do I have to write 2 reviews when I want to continue my story?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tobinobin, Jun 15, 2009.

I just want to post the next part of my story (in the same thread) - do you need to review two pieces of writing before doing so? and can you change the title to say second part at bottom of the page?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The firm requirement is per thread. However, the intent is to demonstrate a commitment to participate in the workshop, which means continuing to critique constructively.

Your thread will not be locked if you do not continue to critique, but you may not get many people willing to critique your writing if you don't participate fully.

3. Tobinobin

Tobinobin Member

Okay - I'll review some threads its just I dont have that much time to do so.

4. Cogito

Compared to the time required to write something for critique?

Again, the Review Room workshop focuses on learning to critique well. The obvious reward is getting plenty of useful feedback on your writing. But the greater reward is how your writing will improve by dissecting other people's writing.

5. Tobinobin

Tobinobin Member

What I mean is I'll write some critiques of peoples work - the reason I am not doing so very much is because my time on the computer is somewhat limited.

6. diamonds overun

diamonds overun New Member

You could print it out and hand write the critique before typing it up and posting. That would help with your limited computer time.

7. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts New Member

That's a great idea! I hate reading things online, for reviewing, even my own work, I can only function with a black biro and some paper I can scrawl notes over.

I shall print off some selected stories at the end of the week and get into this reviewing!

Thanks.

8. Tobinobin

Tobinobin Member

With my hand writing - I dont think so.

9. Andrius

Andrius New Member

Well you could try, or at least try to submit 2 critiques minimum to post your own work and so your thread won't get locked.

10. Tobinobin

Tobinobin Member

I have submitted enough for a topic - my question before was if replying to your topic with the next part means you still need to post 2 critiques - you dont but its preferred if you did.

11. diamonds overun

I am unsure of your question.

Are you asking if you need to post 2 critiques for every post you want critiqued?

I thought it was 3 critiques before you start posting, not for every post. I hope that helps.

You should be able to read your own hand writing, mine is pretty shocking but i still print the peices i want to review to make notes.

From what i have seen this community works with contribution and you get what you give. You need to put some effort in to get some effort back.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

You have to post two constructive reviews for every thread you make in a review room forum. If you are adding another chapter, or draft, to that thread, then you do not have to make a further two reviews.

However, it may well encourage people to review your new post, if you review others' work anyway. Also, it does help the system of reciprocity, and really you should be looking to contribute as much as you receive.

13. diamonds overun

So it is 2 per thread, well you learn something new every day.

Can you stock up? Say you write 10 good constructive critiques, does that mean you can post 5 threads? Or is it like the phone company, you take away the 'credits' if you dont use them.

Just asking, i am the person who always asks the dumb questions for no apparrent reason.

14. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

This is actually common knowledge here. Cogito mentions this in his introductory post every time a new member introduces him/herself. Plus, it's in the forum rules, I believe. And in all those locked threads Cogito has to chase around all the time.
    Yes. Ten critiques = five threads. No expiration--I think. :p Always try to review above the minimum though. As many as you have time for. It'll pay back and then some. Way more than receiving critiques.

15. diamonds overun

Yeah i dont know how i missed it. I knew you had to critique before review but for some reason this post confused me.

I think i will put it down to late nights and a cold. :)

16. Cogito

If someone hasn't critiqued anything in a year and posts up a story, I don't much care if they have a net surplus of two constructive critiques "way back when." That isn't participation.

It has only happened a couple times, and in each case the "qualifying critiques" were the minimum the person felt he or she could get away with.

17. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

You're a cruel taskmaster, Dave. :p

18. diamonds overun

I am not actuallly sure why people have a problem with critiqueing others work.

19. Cogito

I won't clutter this thread by listing the excuses I've received, and I'd appreciate it if no one else did either.

It's a critiquing workshop. If you post there, you should expect to be asked to put in a decent effort.

20. Marshmallow

Marshmallow New Member

It's "actually" and "critiquing." See, that's not so hard. :p

Same with every other forum, regardless of purpose. I've seen it countless times, people joining to post their work and never posting in other topics (including making an introduction topic for themselves.)

When I modded at GG, we would get spambots too, which are even worse because the good ones don't have an IP, so they're harder to ban. Anyways, it's not difficult to do, and by sitting there and writing material you more or less announce to the world that you have a plethora of free time anyway. And, by exposing yourself to new material (I.E. the reading of other people's writing for review), you refine your own craft by getting a feel for new syntax, diction, and uses of extended metaphors and such.

Anyway, I'm sure that this topic has been solved, so could we lock it. Maybe even sticky it so that no more necro's like this will continue...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.