1. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Poetry Month 2023

Discussion in 'OctPoWriMo' started by AntPoems, Apr 9, 2023.

OK, so we're already a week in, but I kept forgetting to post a thread about this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, it's Poetry Month! As artificial as any such celebration, to be sure, but April is as good a time as any to focus on poetry. Has anyone here been doing anything special for the month? I've been focusing on revising some old poems that I've had sitting around for a very long time (some that I haven't even looked at in several years) so that I can start submitting them (got to get those 100 rejections somehow, lol). A friend of mine who isn't a poet is reading a poem every day. How about you?

2. Casper

Casper Active Member Contest Winner 2023

Great shout-up AntPoems, which has inspired me to write and post a poem...

AntPoems likes this.
  3. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

All you really have to do to honour the month is write one poem. Do that and you’re good. It doesn’t even have to be a really good poem. How about re-read your favourite poem?

I’ll post one of mine here. In honour of Rudyard Kipling.

AntPoems likes this.
  4. AntPoems

Ah, one of the classics. And I had never noticed this before, but it takes an impressive amount of chutzpah to not only rhyme "you" with "you", but to do it at the opening of the poem and throw another "you" in between! :rofl:

5. AntPoems

Woohoo! I'm so happy you've gotten into the spirit! Off to the workshop to check it out...

6. Username Required

Username Required Active Member

This month, my friend and I have been working on a pro-life chapbook for a pregnancy center where she’s helped out—I write, she edits based on her knowledge of the intended audience.

Regarding “If,” the first rhyme isn’t “you/you,” but “about you/doubt you.” The rhyme starts on the last stressed syllable. When that isn’t the last syllable, it’s called a “falling rhyme” or “feminine rhyme” (the latter name is after its counterpart in French), as opposed to a “rising rhyme” or “masculine rhyme” (“you/too”)

Alternating masculine and feminine rhymes is a requirement in classical French poetry, and some poems in English, such as “If,” do this as well. I like to do this with some of my poems—some of them strongly show a French influence, which I guess makes sense because one of my major influences is a French poet/singer (Georges Brassens, the man shown in my avatar).

7. dbesim

repetition is a poetic technique.

8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I really got to get to doing this. I honestly just write and edit and never submit anything, except for a chapbook into a contest that didn't win.

You start submitting yet? I'm honestly at a loss as to where and what I really need to do.

9. dbesim

If you’re at college you can join a group. If you’re not you can join the nearest one available. Sometimes online ones being hosted on zoom and pick up advice from other poetry enthusiasts and experts.

Edit: I know it’s no longer poetry month but in some ways poetry is relevant all year round. :D

10. Joseph Gray

Joseph Gray New Member

April's here, the time of year When poets' words fill hearts with cheer I dust off poems tucked away
    And contemplate what poets say Each line and verse, a gift dispersed To open minds and spirits nursed On rhythms rolling, images bold And truths revealed, both new and old So let us lift our voices high And let our inspiration fly Share poems that stir, delight and teach Use words that hope and heal can reach For poetry has power to change To challenge norms, make justice ring So poets rise, take pen in hand Spread truth and beauty cross this land!

11. Joseph Gray

Joseph Gray New Member

Yo, it's never too late to celebrate the art
    Of rhythmic words that speak straight to the heart
    Revising old poems, that's tight, get them right
    Polish each verse till they're gleaming bright
    Reading a poem a day - that's a dope way
    To soak in the magic of poets' sway
    As for me, I've been writing some new
    Trying different forms like a pantoum
    The villanelle's refrain has me entrained
    With its patterns repeating, I'm not complaining
    Blank verse and free verse, I continue to rehearse
    Hoping I can uncover some deeper verse
    See, poetry lets me express and process
    With language that's rich, symbolic and timeless
    So keep on creating, revising and reading
    Let April remind us, poetry's always needed
    To nourish the soul, inspire and console in ways prose just can't reach - now ain't that the truth?