Tags:
  1. Ryn

Ryn New Member

Pointers and Tips Requested!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryn, Jul 16, 2017.

Ahh... this is my first time posting on here. My apologies if I come off a bit awkward in the following post or when responding to anyone! Anyways... So I'd been thinking for a little while and decided I wanted to try getting advice from other people and attempt to... I guess improve on some aspects I've never really been confident in. So what I'll so is list a couple of things below I'd like some good advice on and if you got any, please leave a comment and I'll try out whatever you suggest! Just so everyone knows, I am relatively new to writing.

The first thing I want to get some advice on is advice when it comes to writing in Script. See, I'm an artist, and most of my stories are basically built in my head to be in some sort of comic or animation format, and it's something I want to do with them at some point. I've been practicing writing in a Script format for a couple of months... but I always feel unsure if I'm doing it properly or not. I know some people cannot properly give advice without seeing the way I've been writing my "scripts" but just general information and advice from people who have written scripts before would be very helpful either way. What are some good formatting techniques that I should be using? I've never been taught how to write script, the closest I've gotten was helping a friend analyze one for her theatre class so she could write a short script based on it. So at the moment, I've just been attempting writing them based off of what I know. General advice would be very much appreciated.

Another thing I've had problems with is general conflicts. When it comes to conflicts that revolve around the over-arching plot of my stories, I'm pretty set and I know very much what I want to do with them and how I want them to be. I imagine them very vividly, so I'm more able to write them out as I see them in my mind. But what stumps me are the smaller conflicts that don't have much to do with the main plot of the story. ...I feel like that may be a little confusing for some people, so let me try to explain just a little better. As I mentioned earlier, the majority of my stories are thought out to be similar to a comic or animated series, and a couple of them have "Slice of Life" elements to them. They all have clear beginning, middles, and ends, but what stumps me the most is the times in between those parts where they are dealing with conflicts that just happen in day-to-day life. You know, when they aren't saving the world from Dr. Evil and his wacky doomsday device that can rip apart all of existence at the push of a button. Those smaller stories that are more focused on the characters and trying to develop them as people.
    Whenever I try to think of a conflict for those smaller stories, I always feel they are... lacking somehow. Like the conflicts aren't that interesting to begin with. I'm more of a problem solver, and when I try to come up with a problem... well, I feel as though they are too easily solved since I already know the solution. Then I start trying to put more and more problems for the characters to solve but they also feel too obvious and well, the cycle just keeps repeating. Not fun or cool. It gets silly after a while. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how I can come up with good conflicts for my characters to solve that isn't boring or repetitive? It's a problem I run into commonly and I want to get better at writing smaller conflicts.

Another thing I could improve on is exposition. I want to know what clever ways I can use in my writing that can clearly communicate any exposition that I may need to give that's not just one character telling another about what happened. If anyone has any tricks up their sleeves on what they found are effective ways on communicating exposition to the audience without boring them, please let me know! That would be useful as well.

The only other thing I can think of (for now) is how to effectively use the setting. I know of a couple of ways to use settings to my advantage, but I feel as though I'm missing something important with them that I could be using to make my writing better. Maybe I'm missing a detail, like a set time frame of when the story is happening, or something else. I wanna know how others use settings to their advantage. I guess, tell me ways that you like to use setting in your own craft and writing, or give suggestions on how to use it effectively in my own writing.

Really, I guess I'm just looking for some simple or general advice that you find works the best for you or for other people. I would love to practice some of the things that anyone suggests to me. Anything you can suggest would be a great help. I apologize if anything in this post comes off sounding weird. I'm multitasking a bit right now, but I still wanted to see if I could get some useful advice. Let me know if there's something you can think of that would help me in any of the situations I described above.

Thank you in advanced, and I hope you have a nice day!

2. Walking Dog

Walking Dog Active Member

You asked a lot in one post. It's probably best to ask one thing at a time.

I learned script by reading examples. Read as many as you can find. You can purchase examples to favorite movies online, some from Amazon. Google Screenplay Elements, and Screenplay Format, and you can get the information you need to write in Word, or in a notebook by hand. There's also quite a few books written on the subject. Most people prefer to use a script writing software to make formatting easier. I've used Movie Magic and Scrivener. Once you learn auto-formatting script software, you probably won't do without it ever again. When I watch movies, I pay attention to dialog. Some of the most powerful dialog is brief. One recent example I like: in the movie Passengers, J. Lawrence's character asks, "Did you wake me?" C. Pratt's character responds, "I tried not to." The scene, the acting, and the right words meld together to create powerful emotion. That's what you want to accomplish as a screenwriter. The exception to this is Quentin Tarantino scripts. Some of Tarantino's character dialog goes on for pages, but it's entertaining. Either way, the screenwriter focuses on the story and the dialog and allows the actors and the directors to provide the rest. Start reading screenplays.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that one thing at a time would be better. All of those topics are interesting, so I'd suggest (note that my suggestion has no authority whatsover) that you pick, say, two of them and give them each their own post, maybe with examples or more specifics? (I say two just because creating that many threads all at once might look spammy, but, well, not really.)

Simpson17866 likes this.