1. jackwright96

jackwright96 New Member

Points of View

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by jackwright96, Sep 16, 2014.

Hi. I've been writing a novel that us being told at the moment by 3 characters points of view, and I personally believe that it would enhance the storyline to introduce a 4th 1st person narrative.

Does anyone think that this is too complex for the average reader to follow, or would it be okay to follow my gut instinct for the first time ever?

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

It's fine. Readers are smart. Where they'll get confused is if you write them all with the same voice. If they have to keep referring back to your chapter title or whatever to find out whose head they're in, it's going to get old pretty fast.

Mckk likes this.
  3. Robert Klein II

Robert Klein II Member

My novel I'm writing has... (counts mentally) 7 points of view. The main protagonist gets the most view, while the currently main antagonist gets the second most. The other five are all main characters but get iffy amounts. Two of them get about ten pages. Two others (Protagonist's mentors) get about 25 each? Not sure on that. And then the last guy (Who is my favorite) gets about... eight?

I know there are people who say having a lot of views is a bad thing, although in my opinion it helps flesh out the story. Also, it's not as if I'm going Wheel of Time heavy with views ;)

4. jackwright96

jackwright96 New Member

Thanks guys. I just thought I'd double check it with like minded people before I gave Eliana the go ahead haha :)