1. rincewind31

rincewind31 Active Member

Just had my worst ever review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by rincewind31, Jun 5, 2015.

and it was so bad I thought I'd share :)

I wasted 99p on this? It was short, and the story line went no where. Is this someone's idea of self publishing half their middle aged diary? There was no story. Middle aged guy crisis with no plot. Shame on you Amazon. Shame on. You author. Books need a plot, drama, some highs some lows. Man eats chicken, nearly shags woman and gets on bike is not a story. There was hope, there's some humour, but no story, no plot, no beginning, middle or end. Kinda of meet Eric mid story and leave Eric mid story. Don't waste your cash.

It makes me wonder sometimes whether people ever actually look at what they're buying as it's pretty self explanatory as to what the book is about from the blurb and the first couple of pages. Also, It does seem to be from someone who seems to make a habit of giving bad reviews so it doesn't seem quite so bad. Still made me laugh though the bloody misery :D

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Lol. Books need a plot? Fuck off. They'd hate Kerouac or Bukowski, two of the greatest American writers of the 20th century. Your story actually sounds intriguing based on that review.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I get absolutely livid at these kinds of reviews. Trashing an author's work like this is just not on. Unfortunately, it's just another way internet trolls get their jollies.

I would not hesitate to "out" this character, if he's habitually giving negative reviews like this. In fact, if you tell me the name of your book, I'll happily do it for you. If you want. A rebuke looks better if it comes from somebody who is not the author? You might not want my interference, and that's okay. But if you do, let me know the name of your book and I'll give it a go?

Flying Geese, Ussaid and AlannaHart like this.
  4. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    Best advice I can give is not to get too hung up over individual reviews. Trolls are only after a bite. If you are getting a good proportion of bad reviews then you have something to be concerned about.

5. Selbbin

It doesn't seem like a troll. It seems genuine, just ill-informed. And the OP is pretty chill about it.

6. Selbbin

It's in their sig

jannert likes this.
  7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I find myself amused by reviews like this. Like the idea sometimes expressed here that if the reader doesn't get it, the author must be bad. Some people are just lazy, or idiots, or both and shouldn't be trusted reading good fiction - much less having their opinion considered worth a pound of shit.

Fullmetal Xeno and rincewind31 like this.
  8. rincewind31

It's not a troll, it's just a bad review. Everyone get's them. It just seems the bad ones seem to come from people who do regularly give bad reviews. It's almost like they seek out things that'll make them more miserable :D people are funny like that.

9. Lemex

Yeah, it's hilarious, isn't it. :D

10. Selbbin

It's the same people who moan and complain about everything, from trains that are a minute late to a beverage served slightly too cold.

Fullmetal Xeno and rincewind31 like this.
  11. jannert

I wouldn't do it without @rincewind31 's permission, though. He might prefer to just let the matter drop. Actually, I was pleased to see he got lots of good reviews, and his overall star rating is high. So this probably doesn't warrant a response, actually. It just angers me when people take stabs at new authors, though, and sometimes really sink the ratings.

rincewind31 likes this.
  12. rincewind31

I'll let it drop I think jannert, but thanks for the offer anyway :) If she really did hate it the woman clearly has no sense of humour so far be it from us to add to her woes :D

TWErvin2 and jannert like this.
  13. jannert

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. I guess I was worried that this kind of review really messed up your star rating. Which, thankfully, it didn't.

14. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

Yes I would say it tells us a bit about the reviewer, but aside from her negative view she makes people think I want to read that, just the mention of humour with the rest of her rant picks ups ones interest. she finished reading it I have lost count of stories I have stopped reading.
    best part she tells us just enough not to spoil it. chicken, attempt shag, middle age and bike...and did I mention humour.

15. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

*sigh* You couldn't have PM'd that info?

Anyway OP - there was once I think someone got a 1 star review and the comment went as follows: bought the wrong book.

:twisted:

16. Selbbin

Why? It's in their sig! Hardly a private secret. Seems to me they want people to click on the link they are PUBLICLY displaying. Just a thought.

Lance Schukies, GingerCoffee and Mckk like this.
  17. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

How dare you. ;)
    I don't know much about currency in the UK, but isn't 99p practically nothing?

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What does this mean? :confused:

19. Lemex

There is a joke here that has gone over heads.

20. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Like others indicated, and the OP agreed, let it go. Engaging a reader's negative reviews, even by proxy/some offering to do it for you, isn't likely to help and can easily blow up into something unintended.

It's a reader's opinion, one of many. If similar opinions of 'independent' readers who've read the work appear, it may be something to consider when writing the next book...if their dislike/suggestions ring with some truth. But really, you'll never be able to please every reader, for whatever reason, that tries your book.

Like many things in life, easier said than done, that's for sure.

21. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

99p is nothing - you can get a chocolate bar for roughly 50p :) it's actually kinda petty and amusing that the reviewer is so enraged over 99p :D

jannert and Masked Mole like this.
  22. GoldenFeather

GoldenFeather Active Member

I think the reviewer was expecting something very different, but it's not very nice to take it out on YOU that your work wasn't what he expected.

Let it slide. Not everyone is going to understand your work. Not everyone is meant to.

23. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Okay. Cool. I wasn't completely off base. To me, taking that much time to write that review was probably worth more than what he/she paid for the book.

rincewind31, Mckk and GoldenFeather like this.
  24. rincewind31

I've seen reviews like that a couple of times. They're even harsher than mine. My book is set in Glossop, a small town in derbyshire, and one five star review i had said my book gave into great insight into Mallorcan culture :D I still have no idea what they're talking about.

Mckk and Aaron DC like this.
  25. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

I think you've taken it rather well considering. I'd feel rather crushed if someone left me such an unkind review - it's unnecessary. If they are leaving lots of bad reviews it makes me wonder if they are a fellow author with nothing more than sour grapes to share.