1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

True hero

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jazzabel, Oct 16, 2013.

I just wanted to share a story of a postman who works in the far south of Serbia, a very underprivileged and isolated area where many people still don't have full access to electricity and water, whole families might be living in one room in mud houses several centuries old, and children have to walk 10 or 15 km to school every day. Due to difficult economic situation, most shops have closed a long time ago and old and disabled have no hope and no access to help.

Soon after starting work in this area, Filip Filipović realised he will be delivering a lot more than mail. Using his own funds and free time, he has done enormous amount of humanitarian work, from fixing the only classroom available to these kids, installing a playground, building bathrooms for elderly residents, driving kids to and from school and bringing shopping to the most isolated families.

Have a look at this short clip, it's truly heartwarming and inspiring.

Tara, Steerpike, erebh and 1 other person like this.
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Wow, this guy is awesome. We need more people like him in the world.

jazzabel likes this.
  3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

My feelings exactly! It's just so awesome to see people not feeling overwhelmed by the magnitude of the problem, and actually doing something about it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

MANY more!

jazzabel likes this.
  5. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

That's awesome! We do need more people in the world like him. He is amazing and we give you plaudits from overseas Filip!

jazzabel likes this.
  6. Tara

Tara Senior Member

It's amazing to see we still have good people in the world.

Am I the only person who thinks they should also show things like this on the news instead of just war, disagreements, governments shutting down etc?

jazzabel likes this.
  7. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

No, you are not. I've stopped watching news on the TV, because as you say, they think news is "stuff which is bad and is happening right now". That's why is stick to online news websites and newspapers. I'm sick of news being about terrorists and war.

jazzabel likes this.
  8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you never heard of or seen any of cnn's 'hero' awards and often-aired episodes of the many heroes like filip cnn tracks down and brings to public notice?

i watch cnn most of the day every day and am treated to being introduced to them and their good works many times a day, in between all the bad news that can't be ignored, as it happens to real people, even if not to all of the viewers...