Political Correctness in Writing

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cacian, Dec 23, 2011.

1. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^ Sounds wishy-washy to me. Depending on the story, not every group featured therein needs to be shown the 'same level' of respect.

People should feel free to write freely.

2. jingles

jingles New Member

I actually wouldn't do what I wrote. I would just write with respect when I respected somebody, and write with disrespect when I didn't. I don't care if people get butthurt by my stupid stories.

3. Granville

Granville New Member

'Political correctness' is a convention of popular 'ethics', imposed upon itself by a society that has renounced it's belief in a traditional system of fixed values and absolute moral standards. As a writer of satirical fantasy who focuses a lot on exposing those generally accepted contemporary values that are worthless, stupid and detrimental to the dignity of intelligent thinking people everywhere, I love it! It is an abundant source of conceited arrogance, sciolistic hypocrisy, shallow-minded foolishness and absolute drivel of the highest order. To say nothing of its more outspoken exponents and apostles—the heralds of sanctimonious pomp—who I frequently poke fun at and often draw on when I need to create a character whose silliness is exceedingly silly.
    Notwithstanding, political correctness does lend itself to one useful purpose: Only in the light of the existence and acceptance of political correctness was I finally able to comprehend why marketing works, and how world wars can come to pass.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Interestingly enough, I have a story idea set in a fantasy world about two lesbian girls. One's a warrior and the other's a blind assassin. Do they have a big romance arc that spans the entire plot? Better believe it.

A part of me likes to imagine the reaction of the politically correct people if I wrote that.

5. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

As a part black guy I give you white people my approval to describe your characters.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I am shamelessly giving you rep for having the best avatar/signature ever.

If I am ever to denounce my agnostic ways it will be for the flying spaghetti monster for sure.

7. Kio

Kio New Member

It's funny that plenty of people appear threatened or stifled by PC. You won't get arrested if you write something racist. Denounced, yes, but not arrested. At least, not here in Canada.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but PC is "description of the practice of using speech that conforms to liberal or radical opinion by avoiding language which might cause offence to or disadvantage social minorities". So how does this limit writers' creativity or the realism of a story? :/

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Thank ye.

<goes to fleshen out his black female protagonists>

And as a hard-of-hearing, half-blind guy, I give you regular folks my permission to have your characters act in any way they wish to hearing and/or visually impaired characters; even going as far as demeaning them because of their hearing/vision problems. 8D

Btw, if you want creative insults they could use, PM me and I'll give a list. ;)

9. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

All of my characters are green. It ain't easy being green.

10. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

Aw shucks my first rep ever. to my knowledge. If any of my brethren tell you you need to pay reparations for enslaving black people, you can tell them you already paid.

Sure I love insulting people

11. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

All my characters are either white or Asian(that's because I'm an Asian myself) and have no disabilities unless it plays a huge role in the story(like my unfinished "Broken Cords", which is about a mute soldier who struggles to survive after being discharged from duty. As a sidenote, the title is meant to be a pun on his disability, with the cords being vocal cords, geddit? No? Never mind.).