1. Pyraeus

Pyraeus New Member

Fantasy World with Futuristic Elements?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Pyraeus, May 16, 2012.

I'm having serious problems with deciding whether this would be a good idea. Think of it being similar to that book 'Outlander' where you have a world that is kind of medieval fantasy, but you have some other race which is technologically advanced. I'm not sure if I should go along with this, or just make it all fantasy.
    The reason is that I have one character who has been raised among these technologically advanced ones while others are part of the original inhabitants (the one among the technologically advanced ones is related to a character who is part of the original inhabitants.)
    I'm wondering if I should go along with it, or just save myself the headache and make it all fantasy. It wouldn't be hard to make it full fantasy because I haven't really written anything, it's mostly been done in my head. I really don't want to get halfway through only to decide it's a bad idea.

What do you guys think?

2. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

I think "The God's must be Crazy!" where a super isolated African tribe exist in the modern day and they are so technologically behind the modern world because of their isolation they actual think airplanes are gods and a coke bottle they find as a gift from the gods. Have the original inhabitants isolated from the technologically advanced race (like Avatar) and then have the technologically advanced race conduct some cloning science experiment on the original inhabitants because they want to replicated some kind of gene they possess and that's how you get the relationship between the original and future characters. They are genetically bounded or something! Not sure my replied helped at all but maybe it will get your creative juices flowing. I'm a fan of a blogger that wrote "My first novel sucked and I'm proud of it!" It's reinforces the concept of; it's better to have written bad then not have written anything at all. So what if the story doesn't sound good, get it on paper and see where it takes you. You can always go back and make changes.

3. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I think the idea of intertwining technology with fantasy is very promising and I really don't think it's as foreign an idea as you might think.

Think of TV shows (and books I guess) like Star Wars, Stargate, Firefly, Star Trek etc. Each of these shows have characters and societies where technology mixes with traditional notions of fantasy and worlds were technology is limited or primative. They all do very good jobs of mixing these elements and create vivid and exciting story lines using this.

4. phyrlord

phyrlord New Member

I think a really good way of doing this is that if you have the fantasy era taking place after a civilization has fallen. Then some of the current society still finding things of old. It's up to you to fill in how far the old civilization had advanced.

5. Kestrel

Kestrel New Member

I really like the idea. It's original and just the fact that these two differing civilizations exist at the same time could make for a whole pile of interesting plot developments! Even comedic events!

6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

The Nickelodeon show "The Legend of Korra" is a futuristic fantasy, and it works really well. I would go ahead with your idea :)

7. Pyraeus

Pyraeus New Member

"I think a really good way of doing this is that if you have the fantasy era taking place after a civilization has fallen. Then some of the current society still finding things of old. It's up to you to fill in how far the old civilization had advanced."
    "I really like the idea. It's original and just the fact that these two differing civilizations exist at the same time could make for a whole pile of interesting plot developments! Even comedic events!"
    "The Nickelodeon show "The Legend of Korra" is a futuristic fantasy, and it works really well. I would go ahead with your idea"

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

8. Tattat44

Tattat44 New Member

An Avatar sequel series? HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yeah it's been on the air for 2 months they are about to finish Season 1 with 3 more episodes until Winter. Good thing i mentioned it, it was both helpful and discovering :)

10. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Check out the Dragonriders of Pern series, by Anne McCaffery. It somehow manages to be medieval fantasy and sci-fi at the same time. You may want to give them a peruse for pointers on making your world work.