1. underthegun

underthegun New Member

"poll" as writers, are you tired of paranormal-related books?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by underthegun, Jan 12, 2012.

The primary book I've been spending my time own is a book about the real supernatural experiences I've had in my life. I've even packed it chock full of photos and actual evidence I've caught.

While I do not necessarily write for others, I write more for myself, I obviously want a book people will read. What are your thoughts on this subject?

2. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

Bored to death of YA supernatural romances, but that's not what you're writing by the sound of it - seems more like a non-fiction account?

I don't think I believe in the supernatural, but if YOU believe in it, and you have an interesting story to tell about your experiences of it, then it could make a great read for people who are interested in that kind of thing.

3. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

I agree. Those books on real-life supernatural experiences are pretty interesting. Many of them are popular when they are related to a specific area (for example, Gettysburg, Lizzy Borden house, etc., just to name a few).

4. underthegun

underthegun New Member

Funny how two replies could reaffirm my faith in my own book. Thank you!

To continue on with naturemage's reply, yes. Pretty much all my experiences happened in my hometown. So that may be my bigger hook. Maybe I need to give it more of a hometown feel.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I love reading about actual supernatural events, because it makes me wonder 'what if', which is always good. 8D

6. underthegun

underthegun New Member

I agree entirely. In fact in my house you'll honestly find very few fiction books. It's all true-life type stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. joanna

joanna Active Member

I'm not tired of them, because I never read them. But now that you're talking about one it sounds interesting.

I agree with the hometown feel idea.

8. CH878

CH878 Active Member

You appear to be writing something far more interesting that your average YA paranormal novel. So long as what you put into it is actually convincing, it sounds like it should be excellent.

9. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I wasn't aware that young adults were getting many paranormal novels, unless we're suddenly deciding that paranormal and supernatural mean the same thing (they don't). Paranormal is stuff beyond scientific knowledge. Supernatural is stuff beyond scientific explanation or the laws of nature. Paranormal stuff is possible. Supernatural is impossible. Vampires (as they are commonly portrayed in fiction) are impossible and are therefore supernatural.

10. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Paranormal/supernatural isn't really my area, so yeah, I had got them mixed up, or rather combined. Thanks for pointing out the difference.

11. astroannie

astroannie New Member

I don't read them. They don't affect my life.

12. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I would actually be incredibly interested in that. Mostly because I believe in these things (mostly; some of them are outright fabrications, but it's perfectly plausible that many of them do have a scientific explanation. We just haven't discovered it yet, and current theories aren't seen as credible by established science) but also because cultural ghosts around the world are of interest to me.

13. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

No one is ever tired of a strong character arc with a moving plot. The story's premise is secondary to its content.

14. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I'm only tired of them being written from the first-person perspective. It seems like 90% of them. It's getting old.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you are indeed writing a non-fiction account of your own paranormal experiences, i don't get why you're asking if 'writers' get 'tired of' same... it doesn't matter whether writers do, or people here do or not, since such books get published and bought all the time... so all you should care about is the existing market... which seems to be doing just fine, for well-written books and even quite a few not-so-well-done ones...

also, if you can't snag a paying publisher, i'm sure you'll find plenty of that genre on the self-published and e-books market...