1. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Pop-up page

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by vera2014, Mar 22, 2014.

Is this page supposed to pop up every now and again (it a new window) when I'm on this forum?
    http://loa.teebik.com/lp_six_women_mute.html

I didn't click on any ad. Should I be worried about this page? Lol, it has some nicely draw characters.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a worm. Goodle loa.teebik malware for removal instructions.

vera2014 likes this.
  3. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I already have four software protecting my computer (Norton, Hitman, Anvi Defender, and Superantispyware) ...shouldn't they be catching this worm? I don't go to sites unless Norton says they're safe so I don't even know how I got the worm (I shouldn't even need so many software). :(

If I mouse over the ad that has the bubble wrap image with the finger pointing to a bubble, the ad will pop up in a separate window...it seems to be related to this site.

4. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I just did a scan using a new download of MalwareBytes (I'm now up to five softwares). Nothing turned up in the scan.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Did you check the site in Cog's link? Don't you think "loa.teebik" is too much to be a coincidence?

6. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I've reset Mozilla Firefox. What's a cog link?

7. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

She means Cogito, the guy who answered you first.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

That is a known worm as @Cogito has already mentioned. Having more than one antivirus program installed and running on your computer is not a good thing. It does not provide you with more protection. It can also really slow down or simply crash your computer as they each fight for similar or same resources, files, etc.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  9. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

My husband's an IT guy and he recommends Spybot for spyware, and then Commodo for viruses. I've never had a problem with only these 2 problems. Unless you download a lot, you shouldn't even be that worried. I *do* download and I almost never get infected. (the only times infections happened was through Chinese sites. English sites tend to be fine lol)

Oh and a heads up. If you do ever think your computer's infected with a virus, I think it's safest NOT to turn it off as I hear some viruses attack and make changes during the Windows start-up phase. (and of course, disconnect your wireless card so the virus can't access the net)

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Mckk likes this.
  11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Certainly is not supposed to show. It doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing this, so it's probably a worm/malware on your computer, as others have mentioned.

12. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I used to have only Norton Antivirus installed. Then I did something really stupid. I wanted to use Skype (I had it once before) so I selected the first link that came up when I googled it...I assumed it was the legit link but it wasn't. I should have gone to the Skype site but messed up. The file I downloaded contained all kinds of crap (pup files and a backdoor). I realized my mistake when my browser went to a new page (so I went to the control panel and looked for all the programs installed on that day and I uninstalled them). I went through youtube files to get rid of registry entries. I downloaded Anvi-defender. It got rid of some files but I was still having problems with my computer. This led me to download Hitman and Malwarebytes (both of these caught even more files, files from conduit, etc.). Then I downloaded the SuperAnti Spyware which caught the remaining (hopefully the last) smartspring crap. Noow I have 5 of these programs. I wonder if I should just do a total restore to my computer. :D

13. vera2014

vera2014 Member

I now have 5 programs installed on my computer and none of them is detecting the worm. Should I do a full restore to my computer? The ad doesn't show up when I surf any other site. I've been on Amazon and many others...

14. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the wrong Skype a while ago and got infected but I thought I had cleaned up everything. Other than that, I'm don't go to sites that aren't approved by Norton. I've accumulated 5 programs so far and none of them are detecting anything. My computer is coming up clean. Hehe, I could download Spybot and Commodo but that would bring my software total to 7. I don't download much stuff. I did gather some images once...I did a "save as" for images I found on Google (and used them for art reference) but I didn't think this would download anything other than the jpg files.

That second paragraph is scary. :eek:

I've been on other sites and the ad that I mentioned doesn't come up when I'm on amazon, etc.

15. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Oh. Hahah I knew I should have had more coffee before going online this morning. :D

Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  16. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

That's the danger. ;)

17. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

@vera2014 Remove some of those AV programs. Not only will it slow down your computer massively, it will also prevent each and everyone of them from operating correctly. They will get in each other's way. In fact, having several AV programs makes your computer less well-defended: https://blog.kaspersky.com/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/

Kasperky are absolute experts in the field. You're better off trusting them. Also, their software is superb. Other free AV's are good, but Kaspersky is the top of the line.

18. vera2014

vera2014 Member

My computer is slower but these programs genuinely caught files that the others didn't. They each caught their own little group until every one of them finally said my machine was clean and it still IS showing up as clean accept for some temporary internet files that Hitman catches from time to time.

19. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

To get that off your computer is a real pain in the ass. First you need to NOT be connected to the internet when you do a scan as some of the worms will connect to a regular windows file and then not let your scanning software to scan that file, or when it detects it is being scanned and removed, it will just reattach a copy of the worm to a different file that has already been scanned.

So you have to read up on the particular worm virus and what program it takes to get rid of it. Then you have to reboot in safe mode without networking. You scan your computer with that program. Once it says it is removed, then you have to reboot your computer in regular offline mode, scan again to make sure it is gone, then reboot again. As has been said by others here, you don't want to run more than one monitoring software at a time. Sometimes they will actually hinder each other. I run free Avast and it does everything for me. You can also use CCcleaner, but that is about all you need unless you get spyware or adware on your computer and then shut down the other programs and scan, then turn them back on again.

Daniel and vera2014 like this.
  20. vera2014

vera2014 Member

What a sneaky worm! I might as well do a scan with each of the protection software (while in safe mode) before I start removing them. I already bought Hitman and Superantispyware (they are either bad or good in that they caught more files after the trial versions ran out). It doesn't help that I have schizoaffective disorder...I soooo paranoid about getting a key logger. :(

21. Lewdog

Well that is what some of those companies do. They will show you a pop up saying free trial scan your computer now, or even it will say "Your computer is infected scan with our program now!" Well your computer might not really be infected at the time, but once you download their program it is. Then they will say in order to remover the worm/virus/spyware that's on your computer you need to buy their regular version. Then they get you to buy their program and sometimes they will steal your info. So you should always try to stick with the big name ones.

22. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Eenie meanie mynie moe
    My computer is so darn slow
    Which software ought to go?
    I really want to know

1. Norton 360
    2. SuperAntiSpyware Professional
    3. Anvi Smart Defender
    4. Hitman Pro
    5. Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

I hope keyloggers won't steal my doe
    Conduit pup files, you are a foe!

23. Lewdog

Is it the paid version of Norton's?

If so I would get rid of 2,3,4 and only turn on 5 when you need a scan. Don't let it run all the time. Also if you run Google Chrome there is an AVG addon that runs as part of the browser and not as a background program.

24. vera2014

vera2014 Member

Thanks for the help.
    It's Norton 360--I bummed off a free copy from a friend who had 3 installs available. :D
    I went into safe mode really, really early this morning and scanned my computer using everything I had. My computer is still showing up as clean.
    I'm not sure if Mozilla Firefox can install the chrome add-on. I will look into it. Firefox originally had the Norton extension turned off so I'm wondering if I opened my system to attack when I turned it on so it can show all the bad and good sites when I search...
    I've un-installed SuperAnti Spyware and Anvi Smart Defender.
    I'm still uncertain whether I should remove Hitman Pro. This little software has an obsession with capturing sqlite files. It regularly captures these files: places.sqlite-shm, healthreport.sqlite-shm, cookies.sqlite-htm and webappstore.sqlite-shm. Are these files really dangerous? Sqlite-shmite, I don't think they bite.

25. Lewdog

Your problem could be a lot more complicated then, or very easy. Try going into your Firefox extensions and see if there is one for that company you said "teabik" is in there. If so turn it off, then change your browsers homepage to what you normally use, and then close Firefox. Then go into your control panel and see if it is installed as a program, OR look for any programs that may have an install date close to the time period when this problem may have happened. Once you have spotted the possible program that may be causing you the problem, you might have to hit Con+Alt+Del to open your task manager bar, then click on the processes tab, and finally look for the process and click on it and end process to turn it off. If you don't turn it off then you can't remove it. Then go back to your control panel and click uninstall, and once it is finished reboot your system. That should do it.