1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Popular Genre Magazines

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by MilesTro, Feb 20, 2013.

Anybody know any good fiction magazines, which accept submissions that can be found at book stores like Barnes and Nobles? The type of fiction magazines I am looking for are science fiction, fantasy, and horror. A well known genre fiction magazine series.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Analog Science Fiction and Fact
    Asimov's Science Fiction
    The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction

Those are the "big three" that I know of. I haven't looked for any of them on newsstands for a long time, because I subscribe to them all, but they used to be sold there.

I don't read horror, so I don't know any horror magazines.

3. jwideman

jwideman New Member

See if your library gets Writer's Market yearly. If not, ask them to get it. They will if enough patrons request it. You can get it yourself, but it's $50 when it comes out. The price drops in a few months, but the information inside is a bit time sensitive - I've submitted manuscripts to publishers that responded only to say they were shutting down.
    Okay, to directly answer your question:
    Horror short fiction is a ghost town. All the big magazines are gone, and the smaller ones are currently closed to submission. The genre needs another Stephen King to revive it. Weird Tales is still around and so is Apex. They aren't strictly horror, and getting into Apex is a major accomplishment. But I say go for it if you can meet their guidelines.

Oh, sorry, Weird Tales is closed to submissions now. Sigh.

4. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Werid Tales is not accepting submissions right now. Plus I subscribed a newsletter from Apex.

5. jwideman

jwideman New Member

Yes, a lot of horror short story markets have a narrow window for accepting submissions. Hopefully they'll open again in the summer.

6. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Check out TTA Press - they publish Interzone (for sci-fi) and Black Static (for horror and related). They print some very good stuff, and are relatively high-paying for the short story market. Or at least, they were the last time I checked out the short story market - that was a couple of years ago.

7. jwideman

jwideman New Member

TTA Press is a UK publisher that doesn't take email submissions.

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

So do they accept mail in submissions?

9. jwideman

jwideman New Member

Of course.

10. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

If I submit my work to a foreign publishing company, and if it gets accepted, will it be avaible in my home county, or will it only be publish in that foreign county?

11. jwideman

jwideman New Member

That depends on the rights you're selling. "First world rights" means it will be worldwide, and is common for ebook or online 'zines. In the US, usually its "First North American rights." With England, I think it's UK rights. Things get trickier when it comes to translations.
    Ideally, you sell as few rights as you can for as much as you can. Then you sell some of the remaining rights. You can sell the same story multiple times if you know what you're doing. But the publishers want as many rights as they can get for as little as they can, naturally. Make sure you know exactly what you're selling, and stick with professional markets. It's quite okay to sell all the rights if you like the amount they are paying.
    Note that many markets will not accept a story that's been published elsewhere, even if the rights don't seem to overlap. Don't try to be sneaky about it either. If you sell a story only printed in Pakistan then don't tell a US publisher about the sale when submitting it to them, you can bet the publisher knows someone that speaks Urdu. Always tell the publisher who got the story before you did. It may mean they won't want it, but not telling them gets you on the "writers that annoy me" list.

12. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I checked out Asimov's Science Fiction. I like their website and the short stories they are publishing. Plus their magazine covers are awesome.

For horror, I found a magazin publishing company called Suspense Magazine. They accept thrillers, mystery, and horror; anything that has suspense in those genres. I think that can be a good place for horror writers to check out.

13. jwideman

jwideman New Member

As a book publisher, I think Suspense Magazine is pretty good. Very professional covers, they put the ebook version everywhere, etc. But they really bury their submission guidelines for short stories. For that matter, I can't tell if they pay an advance or just royalties. Man, their web site is terrible. But everything else is very professional.