1. Gholin

Gholin Member

Portable writing options

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Gholin, Apr 7, 2011.

Hi all.

I am trying to decide between a few options for portable writing right now, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best option is.

I'm currently split between getting an Ipad2 or a laptop. The thing is, I don't want a super small screen like a netbook where I strain to see my words and I want to system to have a lot of functionality as well (Movies, homework, applications, music video games, etc). I also keep thinking to myself that maybe I shouldn't have these distractions and use the thing as a strictly writing tool, but sometimes, you need a diversion and I can't see myself spending that much for a one-use tool.

What portable writing tool do you guys use and if I want to take my writing everywhere and still have some options to do other things, what would be best? Think I should focus it only on writing so I focus only on writing? Thanks for any advice.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A digital voice recorder. I can then transfer it onto my laptop using voice recognition software, and clean it up.

Of course, if your handwriting is more legible than mine, a pen and a memo pad works too.

3. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I like paper and pen when mobile. The distraction factor is generally minimal unless I start making paper airplanes or a spitball war breaks out nearby. Of course, I have been known to make use of a lap top for trips and such, where I might want to research something.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Definitely just a pen and notebook for me. I have a netbook and they're not at all frustrating to use like you worry with the small screen etc. Until I busted the mouse pad on mine it was the best computer I owned, and I used it for everything aside from sitting plonked at my desk. :p

5. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Pen and paper without a doubt. I just find the empty white space annoying and hindering. I don't know why...Writing things down just helps me focus and work through all my crazy wild ideas.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i use a dell laptop, notepad and pen, and anything else i might have handy at the moment, with which to capture whatever words need to be caught...

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Pen and paper for me too.

8. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

I will use a crayon on a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket that's how the God of my inspiration rolls.

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

You said no small screen, but I would die without my Sony Ericsson Xperia with qwerty keyboard. I think half of what I write is on that, and then I can just transfer it onto my computer later with a USB cable. It's basically a computer you can call with. Also more portable than a laptop.

10. ProwerGirl

ProwerGirl New Member

Pen and paper if you want to go non-tech (saves a lot of money!) I used to use a computerd for everything, but after being limited to a Wii, the freedom of notebooks is wonderful.

But, if you want to splurge, then get a laptop and the latest Microsoft Word program.

11. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

Stuck on a desert island, I wrote my debut novel, "Velvet Elvis " using seal blood on tree bark.

12. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^hahha! lol...

13. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

rofl

I use a pen and paper or my HP laptop with a 17.3 inch screen

14. Smoke

Smoke New Member

There are pens that can record what they are writing and then transfer it later into a computer.

I do know of at least one e-reader that can function as a primitive word processor.

15. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

i wouldn't recommend an ipad for writing, id love to own one but not for typing. the keyboards are just too hard to use for long term stuff.

id recommend a web book, i know they have small screens and keyboards but more than make up for it in portability. if that doesn't fancy yer tickle, then id go laptop all the way.

16. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

You can get a netbook/laptop much cheaper than an iPad(2).

You also don't need to splurge for a word processor; OpenOffice and others are free and can save documents in Microsoft Word format.

17. Gholin

Gholin Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys and gals. I think I will go for a laptop or netbook! Just need to find the right one now!

18. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

I find a pen and paper to be the best form of portable writing. Unfortunately, my love for crisp white paper is coupled with an intense hatred of the emptiness.

When I see a piece of white paper sitting in front of me, I'm filled with this sense of curiosity. What should I write? How should I write it? I try to take my time, I feel like if I don't write it neatly, it will somehow mar the beauty of the paper, of the thoughts in my mind.

So, pen and paper, or pencils if I have the right kind.

19. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

I use a HTC PDA which is windows/word compatible. Being able to write on my Smartphone in with the same word-processing program that I use on my laptop is really handy.

A digital voice recorder. I can then transfer it onto my laptop using voice recognition software
    I was thinking of trying this – can you recommend any software? Do you play the recording back to your computer? How accurate is it, and does it vary much with the speed of your speech?

20. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

Don't be too quick to rule out Netbooks - my first laptop was a Sony Picturebook which had just an 8.9" widescreen and it screen was perfectly readable and with the device being both small and lightweight it was alot less cumbersome to have sat on your lap if you were trying to relax and work somewhere not at a desk and it was fairly unobtrusive to lug around in a general bag with stuff if you were out and about.

Best writing machine I've ever owned - in fact I might have to dig the old girl out this weekend!

21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Laptop with a wide screen, or pen and paper. iPad would probably be OK with a keyboard attached.

22. Daggers

Daggers New Member

What about a netbook? They are relatively inexpensive and have a long battery life.

23. Steerpike

I don't like the small keyboards on netbooks. If you put a regular sized USB keyboard on it, I'd probably be ok with it. I do like my full-sized laptop though.

24. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

They do vary a hell of a lot - my old Sony was great, the size never bothered me but I've worked on other netbooks where the keyboards were stupid and they made me want to throw the damn thing under a truck. I'd probably go so far as to say that keyboard and screen quality (not necessarily size) are the two biggest drivers for me in buying a laptop.

25. Steerpike

True. I have only used one netbook and it was really cramped. I can't remember the name, might have been and old Eee PC by Asus.