1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Should I always use Microsoft Word's checker?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by The95Writer, Jun 12, 2014.

I often notice that my Microsoft Word spelling, grammar and sentence checker can be somewhat misleading. Is it wholly reliable?

2. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Wholly reliable? Nope. But definitely use it as a "first cut". It catches a lot of the stupid stuff you're not watching for.

3. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

Definitely don't leave your work without it. Although I a dinosaur t do the grammar and spelling for me: WordPerfect :D

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  4. cynthia_1968

My dinosaur made an error. I meant that I use a dinosaur to do the grammar and spelling for me: WordPerfect. One of the neat things is that WP offers lots of goodies, including many different languages to choose from without buying extra language packages. Very handy when you're living in Europe ;-)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  5. daydreams

daydreams Member

It's an amazing tool to help you with your writing, but it doesn't replace you completely. We're not there yet. :)

6. cynthia_1968

Dear Daydreams, the best tool of all is your mind ;)

7. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Another WordPerfectionist! We will not be assimilated!

That said, I will not run my texts through WordPerfect's Grammatik or MS Word or any other word processing program's grammar checker. If you want literal hours of wide-eyed hilarity and gape-mouthed disbelief, be my guest. But having subjected gobbets of major published works to its techo-mercies (just for a test), I would say that the typical grammar check program is about as reliable as a leaky thermometer.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    cynthia_1968 likes this.
  8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I actually recommend turning on most of the grammatical rules that Word can check for, even the ones marked as stylistic suggestion. You can easily ignore the things that Word complains about if you know it is grammatically sound, but often times, I find that it does help in rethinking how you can better write your sentences. That is beside the fact that Word may be able to catch errors you may have overlooked.

9. cynthia_1968

Yes, but you're from the greatest nation in the world (my daughter went to High School in Pennsylvania in '08 for a student exchange program), but I'm from a small country. We all speak Dutch :D down here.

At least, 17 million people are. And The Netherlands is even smaller than Florida, if I'm not mistaken.

So to me the Spell- and Grammar offered by a leaky thermometer, are quite handy. Erm, does this mean that I write like a leaky thermometer :eek:

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  10. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Want to hear something funny? I learned WordPerfect 5.1 in Dutch! I was studying in the UK and bought my first computer used from a couple (American husband, Dutch wife) who bought the computer and the software in the Netherlands. Do I speak Dutch? No, but I had enough German to figure it out. :)

Oh, yeah. The dictionary was set on Dutch, too. Took me a long time to figure out how to switch it to English. :rofl:

cynthia_1968 likes this.
  11. cynthia_1968

:crazy::rofl:

12. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I'd only ever recommend the spell checker as it's generally accurate like 99% of the time. Sometimes, certain odd words are underlined but a quick check online proves it wrong. The rest of the time, it catches typos and mispellings without issue.

Grammar checker is unreliable for the most part. You should have little need for that if you're writing to be published in, assumingly, English. Any real issues should be caught by you, beta readers, or the editors and proofreaders though there should be very little, if any, grammatical issues.

Veo likes this.
  13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Use every tool available to you, but trust none completely. No grammar tool is completely accurate, and not every correctly spelled word is the word that is correct in that context.

There is no substitute for mastering your most fundamental tool - language. There are no viable shortcuts.

aikoaiko likes this.