1. Hermanberntzen

Hermanberntzen New Member

Translator

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Hermanberntzen, Aug 12, 2011.

Anybody know's about any text translator i can use , soo i don't need to convert the whole text myself with re-writing it in English.

- Thanks

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm afraid that there is no automated translator that will produce a publishable-quality book. Language processing by computer just isn't there yet, and likely never will be.

3. Hermanberntzen

Something who is good enough soo i can just go fast through afterwards and correct small mistakes.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

1. We don't endorse product on this site.

2. Chickenfreak is right. It isn't a matter of making "small corrections after." You aren't talking about translating a recipe of a set of assembly instructions for a charcoal grill. If you have ever seen a translated instruction sheet, you will understand tghat even that is no simple task.

But literature is more than word-for-word translation. Translating litereature requires compromises, because the precise shades of meaning must be preserved as much as possible. Often, it is a very poor fit. Forget about trying to preserve puns or subtle wordplay. Forget about preserving the rhythm and flow of the narrative. Forget culture-based metaphors.

What you get from the other end of your translator engine will not be even close enough to be tweaked to something publishable.

5. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

What language is it?
    I know of a few people who might be willing to help you with this. Urdu, Hindi, and Dutch are the languages they are able to do.
    if that fits with what you need PM me.

Just stay away from google translate, horrid system full of errors, having a real person translate would be your best bet.

6. Hermanberntzen

I can translate myself , but i would be happy not too.. Translator's are much faster , but seems like i need to do it myself then !

7. Blue_Lotus

Blue_Lotus New Member

lol I know how you feel, my work is tri-lingual and sometimes it drives me nuts because the rules between the languages are vastly different.
    Best of luck!
    ~BL~

8. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Strongly advising not to use a translator, this loses ALOT of meaning, and often makes mistakes.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Use a human translator.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Cogito is absolutely right. I know someone who translates German works (mostly 19th and early 20th century) into English. She does not make a literal translation. She makes her own word choices to try to preserve the artistic quality of the work, any word play that might be involved, the feel of the original piece, the flow, etc.

Using a computerized translator might just as well make the job of a decent translation harder.

11. art

art Contributor Contributor

'Le grill? What the hell is le grill?' :D

12. [Insert imagination here]

[Insert imagination here] New Member

I used to follow the blogs of a few translators and they did mention using computers to streamline the process. Even at the time I didn't know most of the details, but it definitely involved more than just convenient dictionary look-ups, so there are tools out there; maybe find a translator's forum and ask what they use.

13. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I agree. There are so many nuances that often get lost in translation, even for simple things like food labels.

I was at the supermarket a while back back, browsing the Chinese imports for laughs. I saw sachets of soup. They were not labelled 'chicken-flavoured soup'. :eek: