1. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Po's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by PixelOwl, Dec 4, 2017.

This is like, 90% of the reason I wanted to join a forum, bless this subsection.

Anyways! My current goal is to write 50000 words in my current project, by January 3rd.

My current project is a dark fantasy about the struggles of an elven nation, as well as human political schemes. I have all my notes ready to go, with most characters named, and have just begun chapter one. As of 12:20AM on December 4th, I am 566 words towards my goal! It may not seem like much but it's still a step forward, I'm content.

Honestly I don't think 50k will cover it all, but at least I'll get most of it done.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

so like nanowrimo but a month late - nice. Nadewrimo :D

3. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Yeah, pretty much! Kinda hopping on the boat a month late. Ah well, life is as it is.

Hopefully the next time I check this thread, I can come back with another wordcount update. As it is, I've just woken up, so I need a few minutes to before I'm able to jump right into work again.

4. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Okay, update as of 3:00PM December 04:

First chapter down, 1661 words. It's eh, a lot needs to be fleshed out and the first three paragraphs are infodumps, but I think I nailed the tone and it's only the first draft anyways, so I'm moving on for now.

I'm hoping to write at least another 1000 words before the day is out.

5. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

1:00 AM on December 5th:

2882 words. Progress was a little slow since I ended up having to do some quick research about Royal Courts and the various roles of servants. About 60% done with chapter two, just about to actually kick off the story but I had to stop 'cause I have an appointment first thing in the morning. The human characters are beginning to flesh out a little, which is nice, and I figured out some key relationship dynamics.

I guess that's it for tonight. Like I said, early to rise, but hopefully once I'm home I can finish the second and maybe even the third chapter.

6. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

1:35 AM on December 6th:

3914 words total, finishing the second chapter. Less than I'd like, but I forgot I had more than one appointment, so my time management was a bit off. Really enjoyed what I wrote, though it's much longer than the first chapter, so I'll trim this one and beef up the previous one in the next draft. Something to look forward to!

My current favourite character to write is one of the slaves, named Beast. I'm curious to see where she takes me, because I wasn't planning on her having a very large role before now. Let's hope for a happy ending!

7. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Well . . . that was disappointing.

I confess I'm not one normally prone to anger, but as I was trying to wrap up chapter three, my keyboard began to give me sass(it repeated each letter a minimum of three times before processing that I had pressed another key--and then it would do it again) and I found it utterly unbearable, thus I threw it onto the bed so I wouldn't have to deal with it for a few minutes.

Or at least I tried. It hit the boxspring and exploded.

I then cried for over an hour.

This morning, I seemed to have fixed it, but I'm still going to look for a wired keyboard, as I believe it was the dying batteries that were causing my problems. Why don't you get new batteries, Po--well, because I don't want to have this problem in another six months.

I did manage to do some writing before that, though, so it wasn't a total waste of a day or anything, it was just a culmination of stress, pressure, and exhaustion, I think. But now we move on.

8:40AM on December 7th:

5299 words total. I've decided I should name the ship captain, because she's come into a few more scenes than anticipated and I'm fond of her. That's about it for that session, though, I think the rest of the chapter came out okay.

8. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

1:50 AM on December 8th:

8331 words total. Four chapters down, starting to get into a flow where I can come up with the words I'm looking for a lot faster. My favourite line from my progress today: "If one more word drips from your slobbering mouth, I will burn your tongue clean." Some characters got laid and others got in a lot of trouble, so it'll be cool to see how this all pans out. Since I only have a loose outline, anything can change and that really keeps me on my toes.

End of the line, I'm having fun.

9. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

No entry yesterday, because I was so sick I barely even moved. Still sick today, but I powered through.

2:30 AM on December 10th:

Chapter five is complete, bringing my total to 10249 words. Remember that ship captain? I named her Nalarie, and she's rather suddenly entangled in the plot. Definitely not part of the plan, but it'll be interesting to find out what she gets up to. I feel like the main character, Estarla, hasn't had a chance to shine yet, but now she's on her own so I hope the next time we come back to her POV, she'll really start to flesh out.

My brother's D&D campaign is tomorrow, so between that and being sick I'm not entirely sure if I'll have much of a chance to write. Goodness knows I'll try, though.

10. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

So, after some life stuff getting all crazy on me, and my dropping the project I had been working on, I'm back to fiddle around with some short stories while slowly brainstorming my passion project. I don't think I've written more than a few paragraphs of anything since my last update, but I'm eager to get back into the swing of things.

Dragon Turtle likes this.
  11. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Ah, finally I can post here again. I wrote about 700 words for a short horror story today, then my app crashed, and I rewrote the scene to 809 words. I like the rewrite better, but still not enough, so I'm definitely considering this a rough draft. Still, it's nice to get back into the swing of things.

12. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Ah, I hope to give a rather robust update today, but we'll see by the end of this! Without further delay:
    1. I dropped that horror story I was working on for now--it wasn't coming out the right way. Maybe next draft.
    2. For my passion project--a high fantasy series--I've cracked my mental barrier and have started an official outline of the first book. There's a framework in place and now I'm adding details to each of the chapters. I'm 15 chapters into this part of the process so far, and I feel like it's really coming together. I can hardly wait to start actually writing it.
    3. Last night, instead of sleeping I revisited a sci-fi short story I'd whipped up a while ago, and am more than halfway through the second draft and loving how it's turning out. I really crammed everything into the first version and it didn't have the right feel. Now, it's all working out, and I might even attempt to submit the new version. (But don't you lose sleep to write! Today was an exception. Stay healthy, kiddos.)
    4. I rejoined 4thewords.com and I'm having a great time keeping my wordcount up. Relatedly, I really crave getting back into daily writing, but I want to make sure I don't commit to a project I've no love for, and that I don't burn myself out again. So I'm just going to write some flash fiction every day, and if there's extra time, I'll work on longer projects (like the aforementioned one!)
    5. I haven't done my homework for class today. Whoops! At least it's just reading.
    6. Speaking of school, though, I've applied to join my university's creative writing club. Wish me luck on getting accepted!
    7. I have more coffee in my blood than blood at this point.
    That's about it! I'm sure I'm missing something but as you can tell I'm juggling a lot right now. Still, it's not bad. It's actually pretty good.

13. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

Oof, an application-based creative writing club. That sounds intimidating! Fingers crossed for you!

14. PixelOwl

PixelOwl Member

Thanks! Although I didn't have to submit a story or anything; I just had to say a bit about how I'll be a decent club member who'll actually show up and read other members' work. I'm pretty sure they'll let me in, I just have to wait for an official yes c: