1. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

The totally awesome yet almost freakishly magical thing...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by dreamersky1212, Aug 15, 2015.

So, today something happened to me that I haven't felt in a long time. Inspiration. I was writing a scene in my WIP when I got to a major plot point that needed an answer. Now, for all of you planners who already have an outline, I envy you. You know where your story is going, I don't. I can't know because I haven't been shown that part yet. I often feel like I am just the stenographer and the real creator is some mysterious...thing...that tells me what to write.

So, back to topic...when I got to this point in my story I took a moment to think about how all of these threads that I had put in place wove together. What picture could I make from them? And then I saw it. I saw how every piece connected. It really was like a wave that came over me. One moment I was just trying to get through the scene and the next...I caught a glimpse of the entire tapestry. It was the most totally awesome yet almost freakishly magical thing I have ever felt.

Now, after I calmed the hell down and finished the scene, I started thinking that maybe was insane. Maybe it is all in my head and I need some mental assistance. So, seeking reassurance, I started researching writing. Its something I do. If I feel insecure about something...research it! If there is not someone in the world that is my kind of crazy, then there is at least someone more crazy. So, in my research I found this TED talk:

And realized that, okay, there are others who get this. I can get back to the whole process of breathing again.

Fernando.C and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I love those eureka moments.

3. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Oh you're definitely not alone in your crazy! I'm a member of the crazy club too - And I like to think there are many many others in this club. And the magical moment of discovery? Yup, know it, experienced it - albeit not too often - it is indeed magical and when it happens it usually feels more like a curtain lifting and you discovering something that was already there hidden rather than as if you've come up with something new.

4. ProcrastinatingDreamer

ProcrastinatingDreamer Member

I love the "aha!" moments in my writing, especially if I've been struggling with a plot point.