1. OculusNovelist

OculusNovelist New Member

Breaking Points For Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by OculusNovelist, Jan 31, 2016.

How To Use Breaking Points Amongst Your Stories Characters
    Hello there,

My name is Dan and I love to write just like alot of you, but when i was younger, i did not understand what 'Breaking Points' were until i discussed it with my English teacher and watched several videos. Breaking points are usually experienced with the protagonist [main character] of your story along with other secondary characters, in my current manuscript, one of my characters, Gwen, is about to go through a phase of confusion and intense mood-swings. After the death of a close friend [Bullet] she begins to feel that she may loose everyone that she relates too, my protagonist is there to comfort her and she loves him but gets scared and angry. [I apologise, alot of people like speaking about their stories]
    In its most basic form; a breaking point is when a character reaches their lowest, wheather that being caused by the death of someone close to them or something has made them fail in what they had planned to achive. A better thing to do is to use a coicidence to get your character lower but never use a coincidence to get your character to safety, it makes readers feel like the character is not at risk.
    I do hope that this post has helped you on the subject of Breaking Points, comments are welcome, i will post more throughout the next weeks Based on the feedback that i get.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I try be random, to keep the reader on their toes. I don't really like coincidences (aka: deus ex machina), you can learn more about my thoughts on that little subtopic over in the thread https://www.writingforums.org/threads/watch-two-sci-fi-nerds-read-a-romance-novel.143686/. Really rather try to write in the fiction realistic or plausible elements that affect the characters in the universe. From killing a lover inadvertently by having them use the MC's weapon, to having a character raped by an enemy general (though she beats him to death). I think the closest thing to convenient is in the sequel where they come across a few weapons crates in a base run by Mercenaries (i wanted them to come off as arrogant). :p

But yeah I agree with you, once you push the last straw, the characters tend to act out irrationally. And become a danger/potential danger to those around them.

3. OculusNovelist

OculusNovelist New Member

Thankyou for the response Cave Troll, i think that its great to be random and extend your mind to relate to readers :]

Cave Troll likes this.