1. Akarevaar

Akarevaar Member

Rural american setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Akarevaar, Sep 4, 2015.

My novel is based in the real world, with perhaps some very minor hints of magic in the form of 'fate' and reincarnation. I'm looking for where exactly to set it. It would be great to find a real city or town that meets the criteria. But, if no such place exists, I'd like to know in which state/region it could exist in. If that makes any sense.

What I need in my setting is:
    • A highly religious (Christian) community
    • Mostly politically conservative
    • Small enough that a single murder is a big deal
    • But big enough that the school has a football team which competes against other teams
    • Enough technology for easy internet access for most people
    • Mountains surrounding the city, so that you have to drive up one to leave or enter
    • Predominantly white
    • A lot of wealth inequality, with most people poor and a few wealthy families
    • Gets snow at at least one point during the year
    Any places pop into mind? Or any states where a city like this might exist?

2. historymom

historymom Member

If you leave out the mountain part, it sounds a lot like southern Minnesota.

3. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Up until the mountains, it sounded like my home in Missouri. Hills, yes, but no proper mountains until you get to the Ozarks in the southern part of the state.

Colorado, maybe?

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Any ideas how people in your town earn a living? That might help with the rich/poor divide. Maybe a town that USED to be prosperous, and some people made a lot of money doing whatever, while others lost their jobs and are now working at ...what? I'm thinking perhaps a mining town? Is this an isolated place where hardly anybody goes? Is it now a tourist attraction because of its history, or because of the beauty of its surroundings? What is the connection your characters will have to the town? Did they grow up there? Are they just passing through?

Also, why are they very Christian? What's the history there? If the town was founded on a mining boom, it was probably not founded by religious folk. On the other hand, if it's like Salt Lake City (which is too big for your story, I imagine) the religious aspect would be much more obvious.

A newer community versus an old community? Lots of tradition, going back how far?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  5. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

I live in Colorado, look into Idaho Springs. Mining town, very conservative, almost has a white trash feeling to it. They have a local football team and it is located on I70

6. HelloSweetie

HelloSweetie New Member

White Plains, AL fits the bill in some of the aspects:
    I grew up there, and absolutely adore it, even though it's backwards as all get out. :D

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    (No body start stalking me) Snowflake, AZ in the White Mountains. It is a small Mormon Town (Basically Christians) and is twenty miles minimum from any of the larger surrounding 'cities'. Everybody knows everybody kind of place. Think it would really be tossed on its head if there was ever a murder, seeing as in the paper the police felt the need to report the future site of Wal-mart was undisturbed (Yeah it is that dull). Ever seen snow on a cactus? Something you never really get use to. :p