1. Norule

Norule New Member

Should i post or not?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Norule, Mar 26, 2011.

I gotta ask, I got a short story (1200 words) and im hesitant to posting it on this site since it would be unable to get published, even though i dont think i will publish it. But you never know right?

So what do you think, should i post it? or should i maybe post half (Or im i still unable to publish it?)? Or should i not post it at all.

I would like some feedback on it but.. i dont know. whats your opinion? what did you think when you posted your work here?

2. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

If you think there's a chance it will get picked up by a publisher then don't. But this forum is a great place to share work and get feedback. Chances are if you're just starting out as a writer, you'll need some dialogue with other writers to help you improve enough to get published in the first place.

3. Patrick94

Patrick94 Active Member

Post it. If you're worried you won't be able to write something as good again, you'd better quit writing

4. Norule

Norule New Member

Yeah youre porbalby right :) ill post it before il go out tonight thanks

5. Bay K.

Bay K. New Member

Do you want us here to read, enjoy and critique the piece? Then post it.

You can post a synopsis of it, in lieu of the actual thing.
    You can re-write / re-word the original (a second version) and post this.
    You can post the most interestong excerpt(s) only.
    You can post the whole thing, but with a warning:

"Hey! I'm watching y'all! This is MY story! MY piece! Just read it, enjoy it and comment! No cutting off chunks for yourself or syphoning my plot! I know 'turn-it-in-dot com' and scour the World Wide Web everyday! If I see any of my ... stuff out there without my consent, I'll sue ya ass! So, be good and darn well keep it in the Forum --thoroughly loving it and giving positive critiques of course. Ayrrrh! I'm watching y'all!"

:) But seriously, consider the suggestions before the stupid rant.

----------------------------------------------
    Be good, wise and strong

6. AwesomeTingle

AwesomeTingle New Member

Post it! I'm sure we'd all like to see your work! And really, only 2% of all books actually get published, so unless this story is seriously bada**, post it!

7. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I'm thinking it's less than 2%.

8. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Post a snippet of it, if you wish to publish the story...

9. Manav

Manav New Member

If you are a new writer believe me, the final edited draft that you submit to a publisher will be very different from the one you'll post here. But still as a precaution, you can submit excerpts of around 1000 words (give or take a few hundreds) or you can PM your story to members who are willing to do a private review.

10. Veet

Veet New Member

Veet's Island is a joke, I live in South Korea. :)
    Post It. Come on, you can do it! And if your story needs improvements, one of the members here will tell you.

11. Terri

Terri New Member

I just had my first flash fiction piece picked up for publication on April 3rd. I had posted it on another forum & the online mag didn't care.
    Some publishers WILL, others will not. I have an editor friend from another online mag who told me that they see forums as a way of polishing a piece the writer PLANS on submitting.
    It's up to you, but I'd suggest just a snippet or two. Putting the whole thing up can be risky.
    Best of luck!

12. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

All of the stories I've published were originally posted as young drafts online. These sites are password protected, so they won't show up to non-members through a search engine.

Your final draft should be vastly different than any drafts you post on these forums, otherwise you're missing the purpose of a workshop. If you are planning on posting your writing here and not revising it before you submit it, then you need to ask yourself why you're intending to post here in the first place.

13. MidnightPhoenix

MidnightPhoenix New Member

I wouldn't put the hole thing up, if it just a ruff draft and you think you can expand on it some more, then I say put a little bit up.
    But I agree with Terri “It's up to you, but I'd suggest just a snippet or two. Putting the whole thing up can be risky.”
    Tease us, if u wish :)
    Good luck in what you choose.