1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Naming a power

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Stammis, Nov 12, 2015.

I need help with naming a power...

The MC is able to borrow power from an item that he posses, he does not go through a transformation because he doesn't change appearance. He simply absorbs its powers and becomes immensely stronger and fast. What would you call that?

Also, I should have a name for when he is in that state, but I don't know what to call it.

When he is in this `state of power´ its is because he either am very angry or very afraid. And he cannot use it for long. It is bound by his stamina and when it runs out he goes unconscious.

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Is the name supposed to be already-established in the story's world, or is the character coming up with something himself?

EDIT: the video-game term "Mana" is an oldie but a goodie if he has to come up with his own word

3. PapaGhanda

PapaGhanda Member

Theogenisis

Bioabstraction

Chemtransmutation

Chemtrasmution

Biogensis

Theoabstraction

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. Stammis

Stammis Banned

He has to name it himself.

5. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Does he use the same item every time, or can it be any item he possesses?
    Does the fear / anger come from being in that state, or does the fear / anger trigger the state?

Some suitable names could be:
    Hyperage (hyper rage)
    Berserk Boost
    Blazing Flash

6. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

If he names it himself , think about what he would name it. If it was me for example, I might describe it as follows: I could feel myself entering an advanced state of pissed off or: By the power of Grayskull, I had the power. If I was a little more super-heroish- I might describe it as follows: I absorbed the energy from the [item]. My fear dissipated, and in its place emerged righteous fury.

7. Stammis

Stammis Banned

It is the same item that transfer him power. It is anger or fear that activates it. Though he later learns that there is a better way to harness its power.

I have been brainstorming wether I should invent a language and say that that word means something related to, state of power. Like a language that nobody uses anymore but was common a few hundred years ago.

8. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Yeah your right, asking other people, that has no relation to the story, naming something is pretty fruitless. I sometimes just post things when I am stuck without thinking it through properly. I guess it is because it is always exciting to read the comments from this forum. 99% of the time the answers are genuine.

9. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Well you could give us a few character cues that might inform our responses. What is he like?

10. Stammis

Stammis Banned

The basics are; He is a bookworm, eager to learn. Low self-esteem but he is curious and question what people tells him. His posses an item that gives him powers, right before his home and family is destroyed. Confused, he is forced to trust a strange girl that saves him from the flames of his home. She takes him to her village where he learns new information about the item, since it was his mothers, he feels obligated to learn more. He spends several months at the village, teaching him how to fight. It is difficult for him because he cannot bring himself to fight seriously and hurt other people. He is forced to confront those feelings when he is challenged to a death battle. As fear for his life, and also anger overtakes him the power of the item flows through his body and and manages to disarm the other person without killing him.

His lack of experience of the world shows through the story and his low self-esteem prevents him from using the power as it is suppose to. But there is nobody to teach him and has to find out on his own. He is still determined to press on, and he gathers a few companions with him that follows him for different reasons, those reasons changes over time as well.

I am leaving out some facts to keep it short.

11. Moth

Moth Active Member

Sounds like he's taking some interesting drugs to me. "The Buzz" maybe? "Blazing", "Amping up", Boosting"?

12. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Firous. (From fire within comes strength)

Stammis likes this.
  13. Sphinx

Sphinx New Member

What is it he does?
    Absorption, to absorb.
    Sounds like adrenaline.
    Adrenaline evoked absorption.
    It's a bit misleading to say it's much of a power though, it's more of a general action up to anyone who has this stone if I understand correctly.

14. Stammis

Stammis Banned

I guess you can say that. Though it is more like… the idea is that his people had certain powers that was lost a thousands years ago. I suppose this item awakens those powers, though the one carrying the item has some kind of defence mechanism, kind of like the avatar state, if you have seen the last air bender show. The main character is also suppose to have certain qualities that makes him the carrier, that I haven’t worked out yet.

His mother was the first carrier, which he will find out later and she is over a thousand years old thanks to the power of the item. I guess I am not satisfied with the explanation that he is the second carrier just because they are blood related.

Actually the main power of the item is not this super human abilities that it provides, but rather its knowledge. It represent the legacy and knowledge of a lost civilisation that was entrusted to his mother for different reasons. That the MC also will find out until much later in the book.