Pre-Loved Apparel.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, May 29, 2009.

?

Would you wear pre-loved clothes?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2009.
  1. Yes, I would.

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. No, I would never.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Maybe, if it came from someone I knew.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Getting married in a bookstore would be awesome.

2. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

It was. We said our vows smack in front of the "F" section of general fiction -- the precise location we recognized each other as an individual, rather than the goofy/geeky neighbor across the hall.

And since it was a second-hand bookstore, it makes sense it was a second hand dress. Wonder why that bit of symbolism never occured to me before.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why did you leave out, "that's all i DO wear" from your poll?

that's what i would have answered, had you included it... all of my clothes are 'donies' and have been, for the past dozen years or more... ever since i started working and living in homeless shelters, which i did for over 2 years... and now that i run the donation center i started here on the island, i have a never-ending supply...

after an 'old' life in which i had closets crammed full of designer duds, shoes, 'n hats, minks and lynx coats, plus diamonds/pearls/ruby/sapphire/emerald-set jewelry galore...

and i'm tons happier in other folks' throwaways, than i ever was when i turned heads as a fashion plate...

4. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I love getting compliments on a dress and being able to say "Thanks. It was 6 bucks"

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I am sort of a designer freak. But wearing pre-worn stuff, well maybe it came from a sibling or a real close friend.....otherwise, nope, I realise, I might sound like a snob but I prefer new stuff. Wearing pre-worn stuff, even dry-cleaned, gives me allergies.

6. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I appear to be the lone person so far that answered "never."

Honestly, that isn't strictly true, but it is when I have any choice. I've been in situations where I've been given something used and I felt the etiquette dictated that I should wear it, but I really, really don't like wearing other peoples' clothing. It's completely psychological and has to do with peace of mind. More of a neurotic response than a vane one.

I'll wear a cheap $5 shirt. As long as it's a new $5 shirt.

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

And I'd rather wear a pre-owned $100 shirt, that only cost me $3. Oh, I love all you people that only wear new. Leaves more glorious treasures at the thrift store for me.

8. Neha

lol, well we don't have thrift stores here...so my clothes are usually given away to orphanages and stuff....but no worries...next time I'll courier them off to an overseas thrift store...then you can say you love me too :p

9. sophie.

sophie. New Member

I love charity shops! :D You find some great stuff in them, (and terrible things too, which makes it like a treasure hunt) I found a really nice shirt that was Calvin Klein, so pretty good quality, for £3 :D
    I'm an impulse buyer, so if I buy something horrible (in a moment of madness ha) it's all right because it only cost £2 and I can just give it back when I'm sick of it. Cheap, stops clothes going to landfill, and it helps charities too. Hmm I might just volunteer for Oxfam.

10. Neha

Calvin Klein? I buy Calvin Klein undergarments but I didn't know that we got Calvien Klein apparels too..!!!!I'll have to go hunting for them.

11. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I'm a huge fan of vintage clothing, which - obviously - has to be pre-owned. I'm also a really big fan of cheap clothes, so when I can combine the two, I'm very happy! I'm not greatly fussed by the era (I generally give 80's clothing a bit of a miss), but I usually go for stuff that has a gothic sensibility to its design, vague or overt.

(Just the other day, I realised that I pay more on average for CD's than I do for clothes - eg. I recently paid $120 for a very hard to find CD, but there is no way I would ever pay that much for an item of clothing. o_O )

My greatest passion is for boots and coats. Not in a 'horribly-obsessed-I-have-50+-pairs-of-boots-and-100-different-coats' kind of way, but I do like to have a few choices. ;)

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I just went hunting today. :)
    Three quality blouses and some eyeliner (okay, the eyeliner wasnt used :p ) for under $10.

I win! :)

13. sophie.

sophie. New Member

*fanatic mode*
    We have boot fairs! And charity shops...and jumble sales at fetes..you just need to keep looking :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.