Tags:
  1. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

Presents for a Mom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GraceLikePain, Aug 11, 2020.

Okay, so I was thinking about my brother's wife, and she's this sweet, adorable person who I want to have nice things. Christmas is months away, but I feel like it's about time to start thinking about it, because it's kind of an intellectual puzzle. See, Sis-in-law is very busy with her kids, and likewise with her mother (MS). Also, my brother has a pretty decent job, so they're not hurting for money and there's no immediate necessities they worry about.

So, what do I get her for Christmas? What can make a mother's life easier and also can be sent in the mail (ie no babysitting, though I would do that if I could)? If it matters, she has a Macbook, so maybe some peripheral for that? She's also Greek and pretty into that culture -- can do the dances and everything.

Thoughts?

2. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I'm with Oscar Wild with this one: One should never give a woman anything she can't wear in the evening.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What are her interests? Besides Greek dancing, I mean....

A magazine subscription to something related to her interests might be a good present. And one that keeps on giving. It helps if she has a strong interest in something.

It would demonstrate that you've taken an interest in her as a person. Who she is, besides her role as wife and mother.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Failing all else, I'd suggest an Amazon voucher, but it's a bit impersonal.

5. GraceLikePain

1. She takes pride in being a mom.
    2. Acknowledging her real needs does not mean I neglect her as an individual. This might sound crazy to you, but maybe parenting has something to do with one's individuality and is not a separate aspect of one's being.
    3. Not very much in the way of free time, as the young'uns be young.

Lol, so like a day after I post this thread, I literally find the perfect present. It's a bathtime kneeling mat and elbow rest for bathing the kids. Gotta take care of them knees, yo.

Some Guy and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Good choice. But she must have been something other than a wife and mother at some point ...and most wives and mothers also have things they enjoy that aren't just kids and home. Some like knitting. Some like birdwatching. Some like reading Victorian novels. Some like gardening. Some want to go skydiving. Some enjoy music. And etc. That's what I meant. Maybe as a present for next time?

alw86 likes this.
  7. GraceLikePain

Well, I mean, the whole corona thing has been pretty much cramping the whole family's style, and I want to get her something that will make her life easier so she can actually do hobby things. I know she has interests outside of being a mom, but she loves it, and it's good for humanity, so yeah.

8. ohmiyoni

ohmiyoni New Member

Currently Reading::
    Everybody Has a Podcast But You by the McElroy Brothers
    Ohhooo! I think a good gift for someone who works hard and probably doesn't make time for themselves... Something like a bath set, a nice lotion set, maybe incense or other smell-goods. It's not explicitly personal, but always useful.

My fiance's mother's go-to gifts are pashmina scarves, which are very soft.

Maybe a family book set, something her kids might like to read, or that she could read to her kids (depends on the age range, or the person I suppose).