President Donald Trump.

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Link the Writer, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

We did the cold war a bunch in my high school history class. We talked about the bad sides of the soviet government a bunch. Stalin in partocular was a notable thing. This was with a left-wing teacher in one of the most left-wing areas in Australia.
    There are multiple accounts of some kind of gas being used against WWW allied soldiers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Foxxx likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

really ? Sources would be good - my understanding was that it was used by the itallians in abbysinnia in 35/36 but not actually during ww2 - with the exception of tear gas which is non lethal

(its worth noting that all sides had stockpiles of chemical agents so the not using them was a kind of MAD thing .. the british also experimented with anthrax as a bio weapon but never deployed it)

Foxxx likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Link the Writer likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Huh, the title says all I need to know. If you want me to listen, Trump supporters, first thing to do is not insult my intelligence.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

"Eh, bit of an ideological article. It doesn't really make sense inless you already agree with it" X 100000

There is very little that is decent about this piece which is entirely opinion.

He makes two obvious points which I've made all along. 1, Trump isn't nuts and 2, Obama was treated in the same way by the right.

He fails to address all the abysmal things that are happening right now, probably he doesn't even know about them.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Being alive in the same era as a Trump supporter should be an insult to your intelligence. ;)

123456789 and Link the Writer like this.
  7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm just pretending this is all just a bad nightmare I'm having after one too many beers.

Yep...gonna wake up aaaaany minute now.

Any minute...

8. Oscar Leigh

I think he knows and just disagrees with you about their badness.
    But yes it is basically opinion. What I like about it though it's somewhat grounded and almost bi-partisan.

9. Oscar Leigh

Oh for fuck's sake.:meh:

Dr. Mambo and Foxxx like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Greg Gutfield is more of a normal Republican than a Trumpist specifically, but yes as I said the "no that they'll listen" was ab unneccessary jab. It wasn't about intelligence though I don't believe. It was more about conservative stereotypes of liberals as crazed ideologues. Not neccessarily dumb "they hate alternate opinions" kind of thing. The usual partisan BS. Politics is rampant with the worst and best of every side being almost the only thing many look at; all depending on their biases of course.

11. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Which part of that article strikes you as bipartisan? Just curious.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. 123456789

Because extra carbon emissions, invasion of our internet privacy, removal of regulations that protect us, like the feduciary rule, and cutting of research, are good things?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  13. Oscar Leigh

Almost bipartisan. It's being more moderate and reaching out to liberals. Albeit a pretty weak attempt given the attitude. But still.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

Removal of over-regulation that hurts coal jobs, removal of over-regulation by power-grabbing agencies, removal of over-regulation that stifles the market and moves towards communism, austerity measures in the face of massive dept. That's what a conservative might say. Spin is easy. Opinions are easy. Serious debate is hard.

15. Spencer1990

I don't think that article qualifies as an attempt. It's condescending, which is fine. I don't have a problem with articles like that on either side; they have their places.

But let's not kid ourselves into thinking those articles are attempting to bridge the divide.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. 123456789

No. You don't debate with someone like that. They're basically just wrong. It's just a lost cause.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  17. Oscar Leigh

(Facepalming furiously)

18. 123456789

There is no argument for why allowing internet providers, who we are paying for service, to sell our private internet history is a good thing. None whatsoever.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  19. Spencer1990

Motion seconded.

20. Oscar Leigh

Perhaps no good one. But you'll never find out without a more open mind.

21. Spencer1990

There are some things not worth the effort to look into justifications.

ISPs being allowed to sell our data is one of them. It's just another bullshit law enacted by greed and corporate lobbyists. It's another example of capitalism going south. It's a breach of privacy and a blatant disrespect of customers' rights. It's clear evidence that American people are at the mercy of corporate greed.

123456789 likes this.
  22. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

I guess this mostly isn't being talked about in the news because while there aren't good arguments for it, most people don't care all that much. In practice all it has meant so far for most people is occasionally some of their advertising banners are more relevant.

While many news outlets are partially concerned with pushing certain political agendas, most are far more concerned with writing stuff that generates an audience.

If you're catering to an anti-Trump audience, then there are far more exciting narratives to push, such as Trump might be impeached for being a puppet of Putin, or Trump is starting a new Cold War, or Trump wants to control the media and become a dictator etc etc ...
    Tales that would be easy to make a novel or film about.

Oscar Leigh and 123456789 like this.
  23. Oscar Leigh

Here's a thing. They were already allowed. This was introduced in 2016 near the end. Repeal is not allowing anything you're not used to dealing with. Are you still sure it's bad? Are you sure this is not over-reach, however appealing? Listen to arguments before you decide how good they are. Look up full texts of Republican speeches. Watch videos of conservative figures. Talk to @Dr. Mambo. What does he think? How many conservatives agree with what things? There's been a bunch of things that have happened. More than you listed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  24. 123456789

Some things have two sides. For example, gay marriage, abortion. I'm pro these things myself but I agree Republicans have their own arguments for it which you should listen to.

Other things are issues which are quite clearly battle grounds of class warfare. If you are a regular person, there is only one side to the argument. The other side does not benefit you, but the rich minority.

I'm shocked you can't see this.

25. Oscar Leigh

I have my opinion. However economics is way more complex. Social issues are much more on principle. Economics is more heavily pragmatic. It's much more specific. I don't really understand economics. It's my weakest political understanding. Biology, Psychology, History, Law, Philosophy, Political Theory and Political Systems. I've studied those. I intend to learn them well. Economics I'm not the sort of person. So it's hard for me to be confident.

theoriginalmonsterman likes this.