1. Laughing Rabbit

Laughing Rabbit Active Member

Problem with characters job/motivation

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Laughing Rabbit, Mar 4, 2019.

I've hit a roadblock (heh) in my writing.

I have a character who is a rookie FBI agent helping investigate some mysterious deaths that have taken place across two states. Her partner is the lead agent, she's still learning the ropes and is on her first real case. The problem with this is, I want her to go to a small town in the middle of nowhere on her own, without the partner. But I couldn't figure out a realistic scenario that would cause her partner to send her out there, since it's several hours away from the nearest large city and the one piece of evidence pointing to this town doesn't merit the split up, or could be settled with a phone call or email to the local Sheriffs office.

So, I thought I'd change her occupation. Have her be an investigative reporter also investigating the mysterious deaths, who ends up in this town on her own. The problem is, there's no reason for this town to even enter into her mind, it's a blip on the map, so far from a main highway that the only people who end up there are the ones deliberately driving to the town, and getting lost and winding up there isn't an option (too coincidental). The one piece of evidence that points to the town is something the police or FBI would see, but not a reporter, so she has no reason to go there. So should I change her back to be an FBI agent? urgh.

So...how do I realistically get her to this town? Or, how would she realistically see the piece of evidence that a reporter normally wouldn't see?

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The partner's loved one is medically indisposed, pregnant, needs surgery, something, but the partner has a really strong hunch about this bit of info in Podunk.

Laughing Rabbit likes this.
  3. JannickStAlice

JannickStAlice Member

Maybe she really rubbed someone in authority the wrong way, and that authority is trying to sabotage her career before it starts.

4. Paneera

Paneera Banned

X-Files anyone?

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Laughing Rabbit

This could work, if I can get around the clear-it-up-with-a-phone-call issue, but then the agent may think the Sheriff is lying. Hm.

Possibly a higher up, but not the partner, they get along relatively well. But it's something I can think about.

No UFO's though and neither believe in the supernatural. Was Scully a rookie when she first met Mulder? It's been several years since I've seen the show.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    She was a Medical Examiner before becoming an Agent, but that is
    backstory lore. She was a field agent for quite a while, when she was
    assigned to debunk Mulder's work.
    So I am gonna say no on her being a Rookie.

7. Paneera

Paneera Banned

She was new (so like a rookie) to the X-Files work that Mulder was working on. She was a medical examiner and an agent. They both went out into the field alone all the time. I wasn't saying your story is about UFO's, just that the partner setup is similar.

EBohio and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Laughing Rabbit

Okay, I gotcha. I have to be careful not to let it come off like that then. The last thing I want is for someone to be reading my book and go, "oh, this is straight up X-Files!" or something. The FBI part isn't even a part of the story, it's just her occupation that allows her to see the bit of evidence to take her to the town, which is why I am considering the career change. But your post made me think about if I know of any famous female investigative reporters and two popped into my mind: Lois Lane and Sarah Jane Smith. There may be others. So... either way I go I have to be careful not to cause the reader to think I'm ripping off someone else's work. I'm a first time writer and I'm trying not to do that, I want my characters to be unique to me. I'm going to have to put some more thought into this.

9. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

You could leave her as the newbie agent who wants to follow this lead, she has real faith there is something to be found here. But her agent in charge partner is the oldschool type, doesn’t think she has the chops to follow up hunches and feels she’s pushing a dead end so he orders her to drop it- she goes anyway, trying to prove herself and ends up, in spite of putting her own life in danger, finding the key to the whole enchilada.

10. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I like this.

11. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Yeah, yeah. Like in "Insomnia" with Al Pacino. Except he didn't want her to solve the case and it would be spoilers if I told you why.

12. Laughing Rabbit

I am struggling with this, as I really like the advice given, it gave me a lot of story arc ideas for her that I would really love to focus on. However, the story I'm writing doesn't leave much room for exploring her background or motivations in any deep detail and I don't think it would do her justice. I'm thinking of taking her out of this story altogether and writing a different book with her as a main character. Which would leave me with a new problem, having a character to take her place.

So. I have a throw away character in chapter one that I can use. She is just a random everyday girl who works as a pizza delivery driver. She was just there to be saved by my MC when she was attacked by thugs who lured her into a bad neighborhood by ordering the pizza she's delivering. She is where the piece of evidence had come from that the police and FBI had that I was using to get my FBI agent to the town. I think I can rework that scene so that she pockets the evidence instead of dropping it as she had before (the thugs had beaten her severely so she was dazed and confused so mistakenly pocketing it and forgetting to tell the police would work). I'll rewrite the scene as a test and see which I like better and go from there.