1. 3lli3 -x

3lli3 -x New Member

The Valley (outline plot)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by 3lli3 -x, Jun 7, 2009.

OKay, so my first novel's outline is below, and i am aware you can not fully grasp the concept, or evaluate the out come of the book, but these are the major events i had in mind and i just wanted some comments so thanks. and response appreciated. (Outline can not be changed drastically as i am a way into the book).

About 100 years ago a virus escaped from a lab in San Fransisco which, when inside your blood stream effects/mutates the brain causing people to have abilities that defys humanity, however people discovered if these abilities were not used, they would in time dissapear. The government thought the spreading of the virus should not get far as they wanted to keep humanity as it "should be". So the majority of the infected humans were put in large assylums for a year until their abilities were comletely gone. No record of the virus was ever recorded.
    The scene jumps, 100 years forward to a girl named Lexie, living in the state of California. She leaves on the outskirts of a Valley. 6 years ago her family adopted a boy, Skye (Lexies now brother) he is a year older than her at 18. After a string of unsual events, Lexie realises she can do things which did not seem possible. Such as moving things without touching them, these spells seemed to only happen when she portrayed extreme emotion in some way.
    Lexies mum tells her social services have rang, and they have managed to track down one of Skyes brothers, Cole, who moved to england soon after Skye, and is living close by. The brothers meet and Lexie is thrown into a new life, when she discovers Cole, has certain abilities similar to hers. She soon learns, both brothers and 4 other friends have These powers, and she is forced to join a cult. They explain to her about the virus and how, some time ago, it got back out. Although it had adapted in some ways, making the infected, humans, faster stronger, and more intune to their one individual abilities. Lexie has to make the choice of not ever using her powers, to make them fade away over time, or by joining her brothers cult, and beginning a new life in secret; where lifes rules are no longer intact.

2. MrJoey

MrJoey New Member

Hey. I think this plot has good potential, infact it kinda reminds me of heroes which is a gooooood show. Just out of interest, what is her brothers cult all about? Will they use the powers for the greater good or will they go around wreaking havoc, etc?

3. 3lli3 -x

3lli3 -x New Member

The cult is the joining of the 7, infected group of people. They don't use their powers much at all in public, they simply join together to train themselves mentally for their well being. The point is if she wishes to join the cult she would be leaving behind, all traces of her human past. However i do have plans for a different cult from up North to track Skyes cult, and i think i would end the book on their meeting.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

5. psyence53

psyence53 New Member

I would agree with Cogito there. It reminds me of Heroes and X-Men. While I don't find this a bad thing, it's questionable whether or not it's good for something else to spring to mind so quickly, but you have only provided the concept. In reading the whole story, learning about YOUR characters, reading YOUR words and feeling what YOU put into it, you will have created something different.

Glad you're well into it. I think it would be well worth the read. I've never been fond of supernatural powers, but X-Men and especially Heroes changed my opinion, as I like the whole genetic thing. And you have this virus, which makes it more believable. Not so much 100 years ago, but progressively since then, with all the major developments in intelligence, electricity, war, nuclear power, radiation, etc. Strange thinsg DO happen. There have been many physical mutations so why not genetic? Good luck in finishing it.

Sorry if this wasn't the least bit helpful, just sharing my opinions :)

6. 3lli3 -x

3lli3 -x New Member

no no it was very helpful to hear everyones opinions is great. thanks :)

7. Carbon

Carbon New Member

I think it sounds good, but I'm not sure how a biological virus would give somebody the ability to move things without touching them. :confused:

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm pretty sure if the virus was able to increase electrical activity in the some parts of the brain, you could conceivably develop telekinetic powers....can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about? :D

I dunno, how does a change in our DNA give you the huge range of powers seen in Xmen and Heroes? Throw some jargon in there to create a satisfyingly scientific backstory and no one will ever ask the question ever again!

9. 3lli3 -x

3lli3 -x New Member

The thing is we don't know what we could achieve if we could use more of or brain! so my theory is a possible answer. The book is obviously fictional lets not forget though.

10. JayTokes

JayTokes New Member

I think this is the bit I like least. Why does this dilemma exist? Or, more specifically, what boundaries are in place that narrow her options to only these two? It would seem to me, at a glance, that anyone would have more than these two options in the situation you've provided. This is especially true of someone with supernatural abilities.

Perhaps the fact that this is only a reduced version of the full storyline prevented you from delving into the reasons you've come up with. Or perhaps there's room for some more creativity and development here! Either way, I thought you should know that as a reader, I would find this story incredible and would feel cheated if this storyline issue were not resolved.