Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

profanity test * contains strong language*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mammamaia, Jun 18, 2007.

i just posted a little poem that contained the rather mildly blue word, 'bull****'... of course, the **** part was bleeped... so, that started me wondering just what the censors here consider a 'bad' word that's 'bad' enough to be bleeped... the words i'm going to list below are only used for this test, so please don't anyone take offense at my using them here, ok?...

after i post this, i'm going to go back and insert a 'clean' definition of all the ones that are bleeped...

**** [otherwise known as 'crap' or 'poo-poo'... the icky stuff little ones call '#2']

damn

hell

**** [rhymes with stuck... otherwise known as 'fornicate']

prick [otherwise known as 'dick' or 'cock' or 'penis']

**** [female equivalent of above, rhymes w/ shunt... also called 'pussy']

bitch

bastard

nigger [also spelled 'nigga']

kike

chink

greaser

wop

that's all i could think of, off the top of my head... so, here goes!

ok... the censor did his/her/its worst...

...don't you think it's interesting that some of the worst things you can call people aren't considered 'bad' words, but simple body parts are?...

...and that it's bad to say the female equivalent of 'prick' but ok to say the male one?...

...so, what ones did i miss?

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

We originally had nothing censored, but I thought it to be in the best interest to have some slight censorship.

I would personally consider all the above words "bad" words, but I think that on occasion they're acceptable, at least in some writing.

In general, I've found that most people (that I've encountered) have found prick quite less offensive than ****.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. Besides, some words like prick and cock have no-profane meanings, so a mindless filter cannot expunge them without fracturing innocent work.

You're right, mamma, some of those words are extremely offensive. Racism and ethnic slurs are something I personally am highly intolerant of. However, even those words can have a place in writing, even the ones that are filtered, because there are characters the reader is meant to despise, and despicable people do use such language.

In the end, the content of a piece can be unacceptable irrespective of individual words, and the moderators can choose to expunge objectionable material. The bleeped words we can infer by context, without leaving them for younger visitors (who doubtless know the words anyway, sadly),

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Hmm....
    "fagot"
    Either I spelt it wrong, or we can say it.
    Anywho, I wish we could use the ol' quote trick to see what people said.

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

You spelled it wrong.
    It's "faggot."

6. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Sometimes I wonder who came up with these words.

Who was the creator?

7. Daniel

Cogito brings up a good point. Words like "cock" and others can be part of other words with different meanings - and it would get unnecessarily censored, in that case.

8. Daniel

Cogito brings up a good point. Words like "cock" and others can be part of other words with different meanings - and it would get unnecessarily censored, in that case.

9. Frost

Frost Active Member

Indeed. Censorship is best left to the user.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Using such words that relate to body parts tend to be crude. I don;t like writing them or saying the words whenever I'm around people I don't know yet I tend to swear quite a bit when I'm with my friends! I think it's best that people put a warning about language or a 'may contain offensive material' warnings on their posts. It's a matter of being aware of who is around you maybe.

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Sometimes the story your writing or reading warrants these words.

For example. The Police officer grabbed the man fleeing from the house. He turned to see the officer running for him. He tripped and stumbled forwards "ouch that hurt" he muttered.
    The Policeman grabbed him by his arm. "Get off me you horrible copper."
    "Now now you naughty fellow stop in your tracks"
    "You bad copper get off man handling my arm."

So bad language as you can appreciate is part of litriture Im sure when reading stories you like something realistic and not silly and daft (Unless its ment to be like red dwarf black adder.)

So in my opinion its ok in fiction.

12. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Oh yeah, agreed. Sometimes swearing in fiction and such makes things more realistic but over the top stuff, as in swearing for the sake of swearing isn't really needed though.

13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Albeit, there has been ONE good example of this:
    Check out Mr. Wednesday in American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

14. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It's a part of life so what does it matter. Words are only words so you just have to learn not to take them to heart.
    Sorry but that is my opinion on it anyways.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

Ageed

16. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* New Member

You know if I saw this thread first when I decided to join here I would probably not have joined here. I may have even told people not to come here.

17. Cogito

I'm not sure what you mean. Because of the things that are filtered, or because of what is not?

18. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* New Member

because a 5 year old could stumble upon this and then ask mommy what those words mean. Around small children, you can't even say crap.
    I'm all for cursing, I love the 'f' word but I never curse in front of kids or where kids are able to see it. IMO though, IMO IMO.

19. mammamaia

the thread is meant only to identify what is and what is not censored here, but i guess that could give a newcomer pause, to see that so many offensive words aren't...

however, if you'd use that as a reason to warn others away from the site, what would you do about all the gazillions of sites that have an even looser bleeping policy?... do you really think this site stands alone in allowing those words, watersprite?

20. Cogito

In that case, yhat 5 year old should not be on th eInternet at all, or at the least limited too sites specifically designed, rated, and monitored for children.

A site devoted to writing, in my opinion, should have reasonable policy standards to exclude material that would be objectionable to a significant percentage of its target audience; this site does have such a policy. But a policy intended to exclude material that might be unsuitable for an audience that the site is not even intended for would be offensive in its own right to much of the legitimate audience.

I am not one to use profanity gratuitously, but it does appear in places in my writing, always for a purpose. I am cintent to find the occasional **** in my posyed writing.

Two things need to be taken into consideration. It is all too easy to write extremely offensive material without using any patently unsuitable words, so only live moderation for content will suffice for that.

Also, children old enough to ask the meanings of many of these words could probably already give you an answer that would blister your ears - probably inaccurate, but disturbingly close anyway. They hear it in school, on the bus, through open windows in their neighborhood, and often from parents who assume the child is asleep or out of earshot.

Personally, I've always preferred that my children ask. Embarrassing as such questions can be, at least I can make sure they are getting accurate information, even if it is to say, "It has to do with something you are not yet ready to know about." And if pressed, I will give (have given) a truthful answer. Invariably, they have stopped me and said, "All right, I don't get it."

I think it is also important that many of the words on that list, they have never heard come out of my mouth, nor will anyone unless it is to say "I will not have that word spoken in my home."

One of those subjects I don't have an opinion on. :)

21. Vroom Vroom Daddy

Vroom Vroom Daddy New Member

Quick jump in, It's a perfect world and mom and dad monitors little Skippy's internet to make sure they only go to npr.org or disney.com. Everyone done laughing? Kids know more about computers than parents, radio is full of rap about niggas killin bitches in the hood, victoria's secret has two hour specials on network TV, and moron parents put TVs, DVD players, and computers in children's rooms where they have no supervision whatsoever.
    So my point is that even "good" parents can't shield little Skippy forever, and as a parent if the worst my kids experience is hearing the word "****" then I'm good with that.
    On a side note, why is it ok to say "God" and "Damn" on the air but not "Goddamn"?

22. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

On a site dedicated to writers, literary expression and freedom of speech (which should be our mantra), it sure would be a cold day in hell when words have to be censored. I'm assuming that, despite a person's biological age, most of us here are adults and know the difference between a legitimate use of profanity and simply used and even disguised purely for aggravated assault.

I personally would've used better tact of PMing the site owner and simply asking which ones are deemed okay and which aren't.

23. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

May I suggest a language warning in the title please?

24. mammamaia

i wasn't posting this just for the info on what is and isn't ok here, but to kick off a discussion of the subject... which i'm glad to see it did, since as several have noted, this IS a site supposedly for writers and not toddlers, whose use of the internet should certainly be monitored by their parents and not us... sorry, but i fail to see how the post shows any lack of 'tact'...

what would you call the word 'profanity' for pete's sake?... imo, it's certainly more of a 'warning' than the limpid euphemism 'strong language' that the mods added to it... which i have no quarrel with them for doing, btw...

25. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Seeing as you're too arrogant to see it yourself, some people on this board may be of an ethnic origin and see your liberal use of racist slang as a bit bothersome. It's laughable for you to just suddenly announce in the original post that we shouldn't take offense as if it's your right to speak for everyone without thinking first.
    What if people do take offense at such racially derogative words? Are they going to feel less offended because you announced we shouldn't take offense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.