Progress Journal 2021

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SNJade96, Dec 31, 2020.

1. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

1,822 words today. I'll probably finish this scene tomorrow and then maybe even the next one after that, since I don't have a lot left in this scene. I got a little more done in NH, and that's where most of my time went today. I swear, all the prep work for something takes so much longer than actually doing it. I think this scene is pretty much done, so it's not like I have an entire half to do. I'll definitely be combining a few of these chapters together, because they're turning out to be way shorter than I thought, because my plans for this chapter contradicted some earlier worldbuilding that I had entirely forgotten about so that needed to be changed, so the majority of the content of this scene is just...gone. Anyway, should be pretty easy to finish this and another scene tomorrow.

Gladiolus83, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  2. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I did not manage to finish the chapter. I got caught up in doing character work for NH. This is the issue I always have with doing two projects at once; I find it hard to focus on two things at once because my mind wants to hyperfocus on one thing and devote all my effort to that. I'll probably try to split off from NH after I figure out where the plot is going, and start devoting all my time to TitN again. That being said, something did come out of this; I now know the main character of NH much better, I know her character arc, I know all her flaws and I know her strengths, and she's a very fleshed out character, which is something I typically struggle to make. I did manage to get 96 words on TitN, too, so at least I did something there.

Gladiolus83 and Lifeline like this.
  3. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Hey, you know what I said about devoting all my time to TitN again? Not gonna work out.

My laptop has switched from spontaneously dying whenever I touch the cord to just spontaneously dying, period, and considering how little my writing software autosaves, I'm really not comfortable writing on there. I'll do a little bit, but I'll have to be very careful. This is very annoying. I'll probably work more on ideas for NH or BC, because ideas are easy to remember, but you can't just recite two thousand words. I'll hold off on writing in large amounts for a few days to see if this keeps up, and then I'll actually take the problems with the laptop seriously. If it does keep up, it deteriorated very quickly - I've been using it for years and it's been functional for all of them. In addition to that, I was very busy all day and then had family obligations and I wasn't truly free until about eleven thirty tonight, at which point I had to do research, so not much done today.

By the end of the day the laptop seemed to have stabilized a bit, so I did get a bit done then, a total of 112 words, but it's getting really late and if I want to wake up at a reasonable time tomorrow to hopefully catch up on the work I'm supposed to have gotten done I have to get to sleep - I ended up splitting the scene I was doing into another scene, both because it didn't make much sense to keep them in the same one and also because taking these things in bite-sized amounts makes them a lot easier to finish because it makes it seem like less work, even when it's just as much - it's just split up. If I manage to do a scene a day from now on, I should still meet my goal of ten chapters by the end of this month.

Gladiolus83, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  4. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Worked on themes for NH today, but only wrote about 234 words in TitN because something else happened with the laptop and I still have reservations. It did only happen once today, so it looks like it's dropping off and it should be fine in a few days and it's stabilizing. I'll try and focus on TitN tomorrow, and finish the scene, finally. Still, if I manage to do one scene a day I'll finish my goal by the end of the month, so as long as the laptop keeps stabilizing and I can focus, I should still reach my goal.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    marshipan and Gladiolus83 like this.
  5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Staff Contributor

It seems you spend a lot more time on thinking about your laptop than writing on your laptop, which is a bit ass-backwards to me. The order of importance should head the other way. Having been in your shoes two times much earlier, I do get how aggraviating this situation is.

SNJade96 likes this.
  6. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Yeah, I know I should be writing more, it's just genuinely hard to get past considering how much of myself I've poured into this and how scared I am of losing all that. I swear, I've developed this bad habit of getting out my laptop and be about to start typing until remembering that it's been having issues and thinking myself into a hole of anxiety and switching to doing something else - since I've looked up the problems I've been having and it could cause damage to the computer and I could lose all that's on the hard drive. It does seem to be cooling off right now like I said, I just want to be absolutely sure nothing's going to happen before I really go back to work again. I also try not to focus on productivity either, since I used to be a lot harder on myself in that regard and I got even less done than I am now. I'll get back to it once the laptop calms down, though I have to ask, did you end up having to get a new one, or did it sort itself out? You mentioned you've been a similar situation before, so it might help me understand whether there's much danger to it and whether I can start up again.

Lifeline likes this.
  7. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Staff Contributor

This was about ten years back... My wounds were self-inflicted I'm afraid. I'm prone to fix stuff when it's broken, whether I know how to do it or not, don't wait until things get as dire as they possibly can but try to cut troubles short—of course that's when I break things that would not have gotten broken otherwise :oops:. I watched the issue until I was sure that something strange was going on, and then I wiped everything and reinstalled. Which worked about as well as you could have imagined. Only problem was that about a years worth of photographs had been (unbackuped!) on my computer and now they were gone.

And then, because I couldn't bear looking at this *imagine swearing* laptop anymore, I went and bought a new one. If I had bought a new one right from the start, I'd have had everything.

Aehm. I like to get the most use of my gadgets as I can, but since this experience I never stilt on hardware. When I suspect something's getting old or out of date or whatever (my current laptop is several years old) I fix what I can with a cleanup of the harddrive, caches, registry entries, and speed enhancers; and as soon as these upper-level ministrations don't help anymore I'll be getting a new one, never mind the cost. This, my writing, is more important than a long vacation I can't take anyway as long as the virus locks us all down.

SNJade96 likes this.
  8. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Agreed. It may not seem like it, but my writing really is important to me. Sorry my last reply was a little disjointed, it was two a.m. and I was running on miniscule amounts of caffeine. And thanks for sharing what happened with yours!

Gladiolus83 and Lifeline like this.
  9. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

It took three tries for the laptop to turn on this morning, but I think I just wasn't pushing the power button hard enough, so it's probably nothing. It didn't turn off randomly at all today, so I should be good to keep going, full steam ahead.

I got a good amount done today, actually, since I was finally able to get to work without constant anxiety. A problem that I've been repeatedly running into is that, even though I have a good idea of who these characters are, I just don't really know how to express it that well in the text. I guess that's what beta readers are for? I can read all the tips I want, but nothing is more valuable than direct criticism. But anyway, I had a great comeback today. I didn't get all that I would've normally in the past few days done today, but I still did a hell of a lot of it, topping off at 4,073 words. It felt wonderful to actually get stuff done again. I finished the chapter I've been set back on, and got about a fourth of the way through the next chapter. I don't expect to get as much done tomorrow, as it's obviously not the weekend, but I'll definitely finish the next scene/chapter that I started today. I think this chapter definitely dragged a bit, and I expect to have to cut down on a few things in the second draft, but I'll just move on for now. That's what I've been doing with edits, take notes for what I should do so I don't forget to do it when I'm in that stage, anyway.

It feels good to have to do this again:

Prologue: 181 words
    Chapter 1: 4,002 words
    Chapter 2: 5,061 words
    Chapter 3: 6,612 words
    Chapter 4: 5,502 words
    Chapter 5: 2,835 words
    Chapter 6: 4,932 words
    Chapter 7: 4,226 words
    Chapter 8: 4,622 words
    Chapter 9: 1,739 words
    Chapter 10: 2,425 words
    Chapter 11: 5,338 words
    Chapter 12: 5,776 words
    Chapter 13: 3,465 words
    Chapter 14: 4,738 words
    Chapter 15: 2,490 words
    Chapter 16: 5,043 words
    Chapter 17: 1,258 words (In-Progress)
    Total: 70,286 words: When I was doing my last project, I only had 3k words left from this word count. I'm less than halfway through. Huh.

marshipan, Gladiolus83 and Lifeline like this.
  10. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Note to self: DO NOT GIVE THE PROTAGONIST EIGHT SIBLINGS NEXT TIME. I don't think any of them are fleshed out characters as a result, though at least I'm able to keep track of who's who. Then again, I'm not sure if little kids are entirely fleshed out people, anyway - not that they don't have personalities, but they're not exactly well-rounded, if that makes any sense.

But anyway, wrote a spontaneous death scene today. Not graphic, but horribly traumatizing for the characters, and it makes sense, I think. I always end up going on instinct and doing something that wasn't planned in some way. It makes it more fun.

All in all, I wrote 3,785 words today. I finished chapter seventeen and started the first scene of chapter eighteen, which should be shorter than the previous two scenes because it's one of two scenes in a chapter instead of the only one. I should get a bit of a respite; perhaps other people out there don't see this as a respite, but writing this much every day can get very tiring for me very quickly because I need variety to keep motivation, and writing that much takes time meaning I don't have the variety I need, etc., I don't really need to explain it farther than that. I'm looking forward to only needing to write under 2,000 words a day for the next few days.

Chapter 17: 4,552 words
    Chapter 18: 477 words (In-Progress)
    Total: 74,057 words

11. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Waves of self-doubt are fun. I keep having to remind myself that everyone's first drafts are bad, especially when it's the second first draft they've ever finished, and that I'm bound to be bad before I get better, but it's frustrating. A help is that Joe Abercrombie posted something about how he's been facing self-doubt, too, and has been struggling to write, so seeing such an accomplished author still experience that is comforting.

Anyway, whatever I write next time, it's not going to be in the first person. I'm getting tired of it. I'm thinking third person limited for NH - and maybe rotating perspectives for each book, because yes, after refining a big story idea I got, it's clear that this'll be a series. I don't think I'll jump straight into editing as soon as I finish TitN, both because I get tired of these projects no matter how passionate I am about them, and also because leaving a project for a few days or weeks and coming back with fresh eyes can be beneficial.

Enough future talk! We're in the here and now, and the here and now is not going swimmingly. Some flaws I'm noticing:
    - There's not much character voice. The two characters that have the most dialogue, the MC and her twin sister, can be told apart from the others to some extent, but there's not much differentiation between everyone else. Again, giving the protagonist so many siblings was a big mistake, I think. I may as well keep going with it now, but I think having so many characters stopped me from fleshing many of them out, as I stated yesterday. I'll try and fix that in editing, when I'm not just focused on trying to get this thing done.
    - The prose is repetitive. I can't expect to have amazing prose, I've been doing this for less than a year, but I think I'll try a little harder with it in the next book instead of doing just the bare minimum. Then again, I don't know if I can manage that in a first draft - with a first draft, I'm just trying to get through it. I'm afraid if I spend too much time on stuff like the prose that can be touched up in editing, I might never finish it. We'll see how it goes.
    - Characterization isn't great. Especially for the protagonist, who's so stoic, calm, and quiet that I don't think the reader exactly gets a great idea of who she is. Of course I know, but she's also literally not capable of being an active character (or whatever the opposite of passive is, I only ever hear warnings against passive characters) and so they can't get an idea of who she is through that, either. Then again, this is easier to tell in retrospect, and it's easier for other people to tell too, so I'll wait to try and fix this until I'm through the beta reader stage.
    - It's dragging a little. My writing isn't all that engaging, and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm allowed to be bad on the first draft, with little experience, and without any sort of editor, but a result of not being amazing is that the reader isn't very engaged when the scenes drag a little. Again, I'll just have to cut down on scenes that drag in editing. I feel like it's also much easier to tell that sort of thing in retrospect.

Can you tell I'm not feeling amazing about the work I've been doing lately. Anyway, at least I'm writing and practicing and therefore getting better, even if it's not great right now. I wrote 867 words today, which isn't a lot, mainly because it didn't take much to finish the scene I was working on. The next scene will also be very short, so it shouldn't take very long at all to finish it tomorrow. I'll have to reorganize the scenes around it, since these two scenes will form a very short chapter.

12. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Update: I decided to stay awake a little longer than expected and finish the scene I was working on, so I've now written 1,412 words today. I've now finished a chapter.

Chapter 18: 1,949 words (will definitely have to combine this with something else)
    Total: 75,554 words

13. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Was the site down last night or something? I couldn't access it. But anyway, here's what I was going to post yesterday, so just imagine this was here around midnight last night:

I have a problem with the word towards. I'm never sure if I'm using it correctly. Is it toward or towards? I never know. Damn it. I'm very good with grammar and spelling, very few typos, with literally everything else, but I've just never bothered to look up how to use it. Which is odd, because I already figured out how to use it just by looking at it. It's toward for groups and towards for individuals...right?

Ah, the struggles of being a writer. Crippling self-doubt and grammar, our worst enemies. But I'm doing a little better with the former today. I definitely think I'll do better with the action-packed (sort of?) sequences coming up, though I think I'll enjoy the third part most. Still debating whether the fourth part is necessary or not. When I eventually edit and publish this in a few years, maybe I could release part four as a companion novella, bonus content for superfans? I don't know, I don't really know how the publishing industry works all that well. I suppose I should get on that, but I'm too wrapped up in writing for much else.

I worked on NH for most of the day, because I got a big idea and I wanted to flesh it out before I forgot any part of it. I wrote 735 words in TitN and finished a scene. I was hoping to get the next one done today too, but a lot of my time was taken up with NH. I'll try and finish the scene I started, and then the scene after that, too tomorrow.

Gladiolus83, Lifeline and marshipan like this.
  14. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I just asked the Grammarly app and it seems to think either toward or towards were fine (interchangeable). Google said as much too--completely interchangeable. You had me curious--hah.

15. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Huh...the English language never makes any sense. But now I don't have to go through my entire MS correcting all that, at least.

16. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

A total of 11 words written today. I had familial obligations that I'd forgotten about when I wrote the post yesterday, so I didn't have any time. Today was a weird day, but I'll definitely have a lot of time tomorrow, and I can still write a scene a day and have a day to spare, so it should be fine and I haven't lost a meaningful amount of time. I'm going to try and write more, though, than a scene a day for at least tomorrow. I will really have a lot of time, but where I am things are starting to loosen up a little again in regards to the pandemic, so word counts should start to go down gradually as more and more things open up and I have less time. I'll still try and get as much done as I can, but I'm a busy person - or I normally am when a worldwide disease isn't shutting everything down. I just don't know if I'll have the time.

Also, I just...really do not want to write this scene for some reason. I hate this scene completely irrationally, and looking at it objectively I know that this is necessary for the story - trust me, if there was even a chance it wasn't, I'd knock it off the to-do list in a second. But I'm just not going to enjoy writing it, so the quality is going to be really bad, but at least it'll be done. This might've also contributed to my not getting a lot done today, as I think when I did have the opportunity to write I came up with excuses as to why I didn't have to because I really don't want to write this scene. It's just boring, but it's not one of those scenes that'll be boring for others, or at least most others.

17. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Wow, I hate this scene. Do I really have to do this? Yeah, I do. This is completely irrational. On top of that, something unexpected happened and I caught some sort of mild stomach bug (I have an annoying propensity for catching stomach bugs), so I didn't get as much done today as I wanted to. However, I still finished a scene, and got down 2,023 words, even if it's 1 a.m. and I'm going to die tomorrow.

Yes, I'm being dramatic. Anyway, I now have only one scene/chapter left until I've met my goal, and I should get partially through the second goal I had set (basically, I have one goal each month that I know I'll probably meet and one that I hope to meet, but won't be disappointed in myself if I won't), so that's wonderful.

Chapter 3: 6.612 words
    Chapter 18: 1,949 words
    Chapter 19: 2,769 words (I might later combine this and chapter eighteen and nineteen, but right now it'd be weird to have them in the same chapter and I don't want to figure it out right now so I'll just leave it as is.)
    Total: 78,323 words (This is officially longer than my last book! Hell yeah! I'm not sure whether to be excited or scared.)

18. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I have met my goal! Chapter 20 is complete, which feels better than I could describe well to you. I'm very tired. I wrote 4,093 words today.

Also, tried a type of tea that smelled and tasted exactly like a Lemonhead. Exactly. It was absolutely bizarre.

Chapter 19: 2,769 words
    Chapter 20: 4,093 words
    Total: 82, 416 words

From now on, I'll probably only write word counts for the chapters that are in the current part so the length of this list doesn't get absurd. Well, it will get absurd by the end of this part, so maybe I'll go from 11-20 from now on and then get rid of that once I reach 30 and then have 21-30, et cetera.

19. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I had to switch around a bunch of scenes, because I fit what I'd originally attributed to three scenes into a single one, and then there's another scene that's impossible because of an edit I made on the fly earlier in the MS, but it's all sorted now. If I had gone with my original scene-chapter lineup, I'd probably have finished three chapters today, because planning me is really bad at judging how long a scene is going to be. New set of goals for February: finish chapter 22-31, and preferably more, though I'm more doubtful about that this month because of the fewer days - the three missing ones make a surprisingly large difference. I wrote 3,936 words, about 4k, today. It went pretty well.

Chapter 21: 3,936 words
    Total: 86,352 words

20. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

It all flowed very well today. It was very easy to write, which is good - it means that everything makes sense and my subconscious doesn't have any objections. I'm liking where it's all going. And there's the first death from the plague for tomorrow! I'm excited. Even if we don't witness it. I definitely could've gotten more done today, and gotten that aftermath-of-death scene done, but I got really sidetracked for hours on literally nothing. I can't even remember what I got sidetracked on. I just lost my focus. I still finished a scene and got a little started on the next, so it's not like I didn't meet my typical daily goal of a scene a day. I wrote 2,202 words today, and I finished a chapter. The chapters are getting a little shorter, probably because of how I didn't go through all the scene summaries this time and so didn't cut down on unneeded ones and merge ones that could be merged. The scene I finished today could technically be merged with this next one, but they're entirely different topics, so I'm not sure it'd mesh well.

Chapter 22: 2,146 words
    Chapter 23: 56 words (Obviously In-Progress)
    Total: 88,554 words

21. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Your gut instinct is telling you, methinks. Grats on the great progress, Jade. You're really into a rhythm!

SNJade96 likes this.
  22. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Nothing done today. I had a lot going on. I never actually take into account what I'm doing the day after when I make goals for that day (well, occasionally I do), so I tend to end up like this occasionally. I should get back on track tomorrow.

23. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

2,251 words today, and another scene done. While, technically two scenes, but I don't feel like splitting them apart and fixing the scene numbers and order right now, I'll deal with it in editing. They'll be part of the same chapter anyway, so it's not like anything is changed.

Chapter 22: 2,146 words
    Chapter 23: 2,307 words
    Total: 90,805 words (another 10k! I think this might round out at about 150k-160k at the rate it's going, but perhaps it'll be less, as I don't have any plans for the third part yet beyond a general sense of things that might happen.)

24. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Laptop wouldn't turn on for a few minutes today. I think I'll start backing up my stuff at the end of every night now, so I'll have to try to get going earlier and finish earlier so I have the time to do that. That way, if this happens again, I don't have to worry about extracting all the files before I can get them on the new laptop.

I also ran into some big problems with some scenes that are now impossible, but they still have relatively big story beats that fit here but one of them literally involves talking to someone who's now dead, so...yeah. I couldn't focus for long enough to sort that out, because there isn't an immediate answer to that, and when I'm in the writing groove I'm in right now, having to stop and come up with a few more scenes breaks the streak. Then it takes me a little while to get back on track, so I'm hesitant to do that, but of course I'll deal with it if I decide I have to tomorrow. I did end up writing 157 words, but I decided to stop because I wasn't sure if I would switch around the scenes and it might change if I move them around and all that.

Anyway, the point is that I didn't get a lot done today, and probably won't get as much done as I normally would tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  25. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

My subconscious is screaming at me that something's wrong here, but I honestly don't know how to fix it. I can't get anything down on page because there's something holding me back - if you've written any amount of anything, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about - so I'll need to fix that.

Remember how I never edited those summaries? I really should have. Now I'm going to have to stop and go through the rest of the ones I have and sort through the plot lines, so I'll probably do that over this weekend and have at least started on the new next chapter by Monday. I have a relatively stressful beginning of the week next week, so I doubt I'll get a whole lot done then, but I probably wouldn't have either way - like I said, it takes me a while to get back into the groove after an interruption.

Anyway, I didn't start on that today because like a bull I just kept bashing my head against my first method and hoping it would work, which of course, it didn't. I also had an impromptu movie night, so that also took up three whole hours because we chose the longest movie we could find, I guess. But yeah, the message here is to just edit your summaries. Granted, I think I would've run into the same problem because the decisions that make these new scenes impossible were made on the fly, but I at least would've been a little more prepared.

I did write 215 words, and I'll probably end up using at least a few parts of what I wrote and likely most of if not all of it, so it wasn't a complete waste, I guess.