1. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SNJade96, May 16, 2020.

I'm starting this a little late in the game for most people, but it's pretty early for me.
    My inspiration tends to come in sudden waves; like, I'll just be listening to music or watching TV and I'll just be hit with an idea. To try and account for this, I'll go on a bit of a writing binge where I do nothing but write for about a week straight, get the first ten chapters done to get a feel for the characters, and then go searching for more inspiration.
    Just to clarify, my initial plots are normally really, really boring. It's only after the "more inspiration" phase that they tend to get interesting. That being said, I have very little experience actually finishing books (read: none) and this might just be going for the book I'm writing so far.
    Sorry to go expounding my writing process to you all, but I had to clarify that I was in the "more inspiration" phase right now.

So, to give you the general idea of the story, it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world that uses orphans as slaves, just under different names to make it seem "okay". The main character is one of these slaves, and she's trying to make it in the world and protect her little brother from afar, as the two genders are kept separate because romance isn't allowed. That's the very, very basics of the beginning of the story, but I'm not going to go into too much detail, and as I said, this is pretty early in development for me.
    This book started as a one-off story, but at the end of the new, improved story (in the middle of the more inspiration phase) there's a lot of plot threads left hanging, so I think it's turning into a bit of a series.
    Also, I would go and tell the title of the book, but as of right now, it doesn't have one.

I also said I was a pretty inexperienced writer; I don't yet have the best ideas, a lot of them are stupid, but at least there's a lot of them. Anyway, that being said, please tell me if my ideas are stupid, if a motivation doesn't make sense, or if there's otherwise something wrong or boring with a plot or my writing. I'd really appreciate the constructive criticism as far as that goes.

Anyway, let me introduce the main character: Her name is Lavelle, she's twenty, she's French, though that's a secret because foreigners are highly mistrusted in the society she lives in, to the point of her mother was killed for being French. She starts the story mistrustful, guarded, and depressed. She's very hopeless about her situation as a veritable slave, but she keeps all her emotions packed inside because she doesn't trust anyone enough to share her feelings with them. She tends to have a bit of a sardonic and mocking view of the world and thinks it's beyond repair, but she does have a bit of a softer side, too. She loves her little brother with absolutely everything and will do anything to keep him safe. She also loves poetry, and longs to write her own; however, being a slave-under-a-different-name, doing anything but the things she's meant to do are highly frowned upon.
    By the way, these slaves are developing names over on the setting development forum, if you want to look at that.

As far as goals go, I don't really have any so far. I live in this sort of perpetual limbo of needing goals to remember to do stuff but also not doing these things well because I pressure myself into completing those goals even under extreme situations. For right now, I'll just leave that open, because I'm developing plot right now and not really focusing on writing itself. I want to make sure that what I write is good before I write it, if that makes any sense.

2. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Just finished revamped Chapter 1, with a different opening scene, hopefully better exposition, etc. It still reads like a first draft, but considering it is a first draft, that's fine. Now, I'm just stuck on Chapter 2; I know where I want it to go, I just need a transitional scene to get there.

I'm also going to take a page out of someone else's book (get it?) and take note in a specific way on the progress of chapters.

Chapter 1
    Progress:
    1st Draft
    Words: 2390

I hate myself for that horrible pun, too.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    marshipan likes this.
  3. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Sorry for the 2nd post today, but I've just finished the rewrite of the 2nd chapter, so here's this.

Chapter 2
    Progress:
    1st Draft
    Words: 2573

Not the Territory and marshipan like this.
  4. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

I'm really stuck on the third chapter for some reason. I know what I want to happen, but I can't decide what to start it with. Should I just start it at the scene? I don't think so, it would sound a little jumpy, and perhaps set the pace a little too fast for what the pace will be later. But at the same time, pretty much the only thing that I could start it with was already used to start the second chapter, so...
    I feel like there are a lot of improvements of this from the first first draft of these chapters (before all the plot edits) but there are also a few things I'm losing, and one of those things is the sense of urgency, or being thrown straight into the story. There's a lot of lead-up, with this third chapter being the first to actually get the plot moving; actually, the third chapter was the first before the plot actually started, too, but it felt a lot less...strange. I'm not sure why, but I just have to figure it out.

marshipan likes this.
  5. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Okay, so I've just left the third chapter for now, and I've now started rewriting the first chapter...again. However, I think this might be the best rendition yet, so it might actually stay. The second chapter also won't just have to be completely scrapped, it might just need a bit of a different transition, so this is going well so far.

marshipan likes this.
  6. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

I've managed to finish rewriting both the first chapter and the second chapter now. I still have about six chapter to rewrite, but not all of them have to be completely gotten rid of. I already have a bit of foreshadowing, everything is just working a lot better, and it doesn't sound like absolute trash. Once I've finished rewriting chapter 8, I can finally move on to making progress. I'm so excited.

Chapter 1
    Progress:
    1st Draft
    Words: 2124

Chapter 2
    Progress:
    1st Draft
    Words: 2949

marshipan likes this.
  7. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

The first chapter and the second chapter are now finished. I'm almost done rewriting the third chapter, too. I'm finally getting back into the plot; it's almost actually started, and almost getting to the first interesting part.

8. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Chapter three is done! Finally, I can move on to the most interesting part I've written so far. I've got to rewrite this one too because of extra components and such, but the words are suddenly coming a lot more easily. I forgot how much fun it was when the words were flowing, just crafting the story. This is part of why I hate rewriting, but it's a necessary evil when it comes to my creative process...

9. SNJade96

SNJade96 New Member

Forgot to put this last time, so here's the thing for Chapter 3:

Chapter 3
    Progress:
    1st Draft
    Words: 3379

I also might add another post today, but it depends on whether I finish Chapter 4. I just can't get up the will to write it; it seems I much prefer writing new things than rewriting old ones.

marshipan likes this.