Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SNJade96, May 16, 2020.

1. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

I've been really busy with un-writing related things this week, so I don't have much to report. I've been putting together a religion in my spare time because the MC's religion will play a big part, as her people's identity will be entirely stolen away from them in that they're not allowed to practice their religion or even keep their own names, so it'll be worth it to go deep into creating her religion. I also find making religions very fun for some reason. I couldn't tell you why, but it is.

I haven't done much other than that. Things should slow down again after tomorrow, so I should have more time to work on this new project over next week.

Edit: I made a symbol for the religion as a sort of side project because it was sort of all I had time for, and I'm weirdly really proud of it for some reason? I don't know why, but I'll put it here.
    MC's Religion Symbol.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Steve Rivers and marshipan like this.
  2. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

I've written a prologue! I don't think it'll change that much, so it's worth it to put it in the workshop. It's very short, only about 175 words. It gives a bit of background information without being info-dumpy (I hope) that's necessary to know before the plot gets going, so something like this will exist in the final draft.

I'm excited to write in a more mature tone than I did in my WIP. Is this now my WIP? I guess. I really have to get back to that sometime, but it'll be awhile. I have to get better as a writer before I can fix a few problems with that (the relationships are horrible). Either way, while this protagonist is actually younger than my earlier one, they have very different personalities and this one has seen a lot more of the world and faced more hardship, so it makes sense.

I figure since it seems I'm actually getting started on this now, I should give a bit more background information on what it actually is. So far, all you have is comparison to events from history. Basically, the base premise is that the main character's people, which are an extreme minority because of their dwindling population even in their homeland due to a nationwide massacre committed by invaders that are now ruling that homeland either ten or eleven years before the book actually starts, are now being persecuted beyond having limited rights in their own homeland and are being deported. Though they're secretly not actually being deported, but led to their deaths. The influence of the Holocaust that I mentioned in an earlier post is probably clear by now. Anyway, that's the basics - I have a few more ideas that I want to incorporate, but I'm not entirely sure how it all ties together yet, and I'm fairly certain I can only figure that out by writing it. This isn't going to be as complex or intricate as the series, so that's something I can do. The main character is also named Fosimah, she and her twin sister are the oldest children in her family - which is very interesting for something that I'll explain in just a second - and they have a whole host of younger siblings, though I'm not sure how many yet. So far there's at least three mentioned in the prologue. Them being twins is interesting because, from the age of ten, everyone wears a veil unless they're alone, even around family. The significance comes in the fact that they're identical twins, so they're the only ones in the world who know what the other looks like under the veil, and I'm excited to write that dynamic. By the way, men have to wear the veil, too. It's slightly patriarchal, but not the point that many real-world religions are.

Okay, off to the writing workshop I go.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    marshipan likes this.
  3. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Alright, I've gotten a bit more work done. I've gotten some feedback on the prologue I wrote, which doesn't seem to need much changing. I've started a character profile for the main character, as after I tried to start it I realized I couldn't keep forward without developing her and the side characters a bit more.

Unfortunately, it seems the stress of last week will last at least until Monday afternoon, maybe Tuesday morning. I'll try and finish the main character's profile and her twin sister's tomorrow, though I might not have the time.

marshipan and Steve Rivers like this.
  4. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Okay, the two character profiles are finished. I'll probably be able to finish the first part of the first scene now, because now that both their personalities are fleshed out, they can play off each other. The first chapter is really just to display personalities, get to know the characters, and other things like that, so personalities have to be very strong from the beginning. Because the relationships were so weak in the last book, I want to focus on them in this one and really bring them to the forefront. I think I can do it well as long as I really focus.

I'll have to do character profiles for their friends and family, which are very extensive and all have a role in the story, so I guess I've chosen the perfect book and character backstory to practice relationships. There will be so many in this one, especially by the time it's done. I'm excited to actually get started, though I doubt it'll happen until Wednesday. Just too much work right now, but I'll keep working on character profiles on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have their mother, grandmother, siblings (those who are old enough to have a developed personality), and closest friends with profiles done by the time I start on Wednesday. I think I might be biting off more than I can chew because the character profile I use is incredibly deep and takes a long time to finish, but I'll try and do it anyway.

Steve Rivers and marshipan like this.
  5. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Alright! So I haven't done any of the other character profiles yet, but I've been focusing on worldbuilding. I know I said I wouldn't be doing that this time, but considering that the story is sort of centred around the main character's people having to leave their homeland and trying to have their culture purged before realizing those that don't integrate will be killed, so their culture sort of has to be really fleshed out in order for it to have an impact. I really have to figure out a way to showcase the characters' personalities and the culture now in the first chapter, since those are the most important things to the story and really have to be stressed early on.

Anyway, I've been able to really dig my teeth into the worldbuilding this time in a way I couldn't for some reason with the series. I think it's partially the difference in organization, and partially because I'm focusing more on the culture and not the government and such - and I'm also not pressuring myself or getting overwhelmed by the amount I have to do, so there's that.

So I have to keep worldbuilding now. I haven't been able to update before now because I've been really busy with non-writing related things.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  6. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

FUCK. Sorry, but I've just accidentally deleted my entire desktop and documents from my computer. Thank God, I had my writing stuff backed up on Dropbox, so that's not lost - even though Dropbox was responsible for this accidental deleting. This is my grandmother's old laptop (yes, it's ancient) so all the memory stuff is still on her new one, but there's a few other things I had saved that have been lost. Fuck, fuck, fuck...

Please tell me your stories of this happening to you so the situation feels less hopeless.

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber <[:>)-|---< Contributor

At least all your writing is safe; I should probably back up my writing stuff before this happens to me.

8. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

You definitely should. I actually just backed it up tonight, so I managed it just in time.

9. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Okay - I don't think anything is completely lost. Let me elaborate further on what's happened. If you don't care about the specifics, you can just skip the next paragraph.

Basically, I figured I should finally get around to backing up my writing stuff, so I turned to Dropbox, which I already have an account for that I've never used. I uploaded all my writing things to Dropbox, then tried to figure out how I could sync it up so that the Dropbox files would update along with the files on my laptop's hard drive. I turned on syncing with the hard drive, and selected the two folders that my writing things are in - if you have a Windows computer, they were Documents and Desktop. This then proceeded to start to download the entirety of those two folders instead of just the writing stuff and, not wanting to use up all the space that comes with the free plan, I desperately searched for a way to stop it. I eventually managed to stop it through Task Manager, then tried to figure out a way to delete it from Dropbox so I could just use it for my writing things like I'd intended. I ended up going to Dropbox folder it'd created in my hard drive and began to delete that, and it got 95% through before I remembered that Dropbox and my hard drive were still synced. I stopped it, but because the file I'd deleted was too large it got permanently deleted instead of recycled. However, for some reason, the actual file on the Dropbox web application didn't get deleted at all.

As a result, I still have access to the files through Dropbox. This consists of old pictures, a video I recorded with my older brother when I was twelve years old that holds sentimental value, and a litany of other things. Despite Dropbox having a function where it allows you to download the files onto another device off Dropbox, it won't let me right now - presumably because it was an undeletable program file that through some weird freak loophole ended up getting deleted, and it's confusing the hell out of the laptop and Dropbox.

How the hell did I manage to delete my Desktop?

I'll keep everyone posted as I continue to try and figure out how to solve this.

marshipan and Steve Rivers like this.
  10. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Okay, here's the plan. I've backed up all my personal files on Dropbox because it's really good for that when you're not messing it up. I'm going to reset my PC in an attempt to redownload the Desktop and Document folders. Hopefully, after the folders are there again, I can redownload everything I accidentally deleted so I can actually have Desktop icons again. There's really no risk because everything that's important to me is backed up, but wish me luck anyway. I really hope I don't mess this up.

I probably won't update the situation again for at least an hour or so, because this'll probably take a while.

marshipan likes this.
  11. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Senior Member

Fingers crossed for you, Jade. Good luck!

12. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Alright - here's what's happened.

I stayed up until 5:30 a.m. completely resetting my computer. This morning, I booted it up and all my personal files that were still on the computer are fine. Dropbox still doesn't want to download the folders to my computer, but downloading individual files works, so I'll just have to do that. I have successfully redownloaded the Desktop and Document folders, though so far I haven't gotten the files back.

The only problem is that all my Google Chrome search history is gone, which is something I can deal with, but my bookmarks have also reverted back to a sync from at least a year ago - before I started writing in earnest. So all my writing resources which I had bookmarked are gone along with a whole host of other things. The good news is that I have a backup file for those bookmarks from about a week ago. The bad news is that there's some glitch that's stopping that backup file from working. I've posted on the Google Help forums, so hopefully I'll get an answer back by the end of the day.

I'm probably not going to get anything done with writing today, obviously. I'll just be reinstalling and re-setting up my laptop so I can get back on it tomorrow. In the meantime, so I can at least get something done, I've decided to start a scene from much later in the current book and submit it to a local short story competition. I might end up changing that scene or cutting it entirely, but it'll help me get a feel for the what the characters will do in dire circumstances and if I get in, I'll know it's decent.

That's hardly a priority, though. First, I have to get this seven year old hunk of junk up and running.

Lifeline and marshipan like this.
  13. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Okay! Most things are restored. There are a few things that have been lost to the abyss, but all the sentimental things I've either managed to save or are safely stored on another family member's computer. I had to re-bookmark everything I had before and download all the files off Dropbox, and redownload all the applications I had, but it's all done. Except the appliations - I only have the ones I use regularly downloaded so far. I figure, since I can see exactly which ones have been deleted by their remaining Desktop shortcuts, that whenever I need any of them I'll just download them. For now, I'll save a little space.

Understandably, I've gotten no actual work done, but I'll start again for the first time today and post what I've done later. Thank God that fiasco is over.

marshipan likes this.
  14. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Two more character profiles are down. I've also started the very beginning of the first scene of the first chapter, and I think it's fairly good. I have to finish the character profiles before I do anymore so I can get a solid handle on the characters' personalities. As I said before, the main focus of the first chapter is personality and culture, so I really have to have a solid grasp on personalities before I finish it. Unfortunately the main character has eight siblings and some more friends to boot. Fortunately, only two more of those siblings are old enough to really have fleshed out personalities. A six-year-old isn't really developed enough to truly have flaws, aspirations, and such, no?

I've taken a bit of a pause on the worldbuilding to focus on actually starting the story for now, and I'll do more worldbuilding as I go. I think I'm steeped enough in the general culture and religion of the protagonist to start. I just need to do a few more accounts of the everyday parts of their religion, and I should be good to go. I think I'll be able to begin in earnest by the end of this week.

marshipan likes this.
  15. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Contributor

Uhm... judging from my nephew and what I remember from that age myself... I'd rethink this. Granted, they'd not have much experience, but everything else is there.

SNJade96 and marshipan like this.
  16. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I'd say kids around that age have really strong personalities. They don't know how to rein it in. Although it can be a bit comical.

SNJade96 likes this.
  17. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

What I meant was that, while they do have those things, it doesn't have to be as deep as you might make it as an adult. For example, a five-year-old probably doesn't have the aspiration to be a doctor because of a complex admiration for life and the deep desire to help people, they just might think it's cool. When I said "truly" I meant it doesn't necessarily have to always have a reason behind it like traits typically do in adults. Thanks for trying to help, reading that over, it really sounds like I was about to make a huge blunder.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  18. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Aha! I've had an idea. One of the main character's siblings is ten, which is when the first coming-of-age happens (yes, there's more than one). I could start the book with that. It would immediately show off their culture, and would probably be more entertaining to read than just another day on the farm. It'll make it even more shocking when they're hustled off to some other place to have their identities replaced when it's in the middle of such a joyous and culturally important occasion. I'll have to sacrifice a great opening line, though. I can still use it elsewhere in the manuscript, at least. People are typically a lot more...outgoing, at parties, and aren't so withdrawn. Or they get even more withdrawn, which can say just as much about their character. I like this idea. I'll have to go try it out.

As for what I already have done, I've finished two more character profiles. I think I actually will do character profiles for her younger siblings, they just won't be as detailed and a lot more fields will have the N/A in replacement of an answer.

19. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

One more character profile down. I didn't really feel like getting anything done today, despite being in a good mood. I had a stressful morning, so by the time it was over and I could get to work, I just felt like relaxing.

It's funny, the character profile I use has a section for character goals and motivations, but for this one, everyone's goal is just to survive with their family and friends, so I've just taken to writing under motivations "They want to survive for obvious reasons." Just a detail I thought was entertaining.

I'm really getting tired of these character profiles. I guess this is what I get for giving the main character eight whole siblings, though. I'll do it. It's necessary.

20. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Okay, three more character profiles down - which means, of the main character's family, I only have her mother left. That is, her immediate family. For extended family that they come into routine contact with, I still have three cousins, one aunt, one uncle, maybe three more aunts (I haven't decided whether they'll be in the story yet), one great-uncle, two great-aunts, one great-grandfather, maybe three more great-uncles (I haven't decided for them either), and maybe a few cousins twice removed.

I'll hold off on doing most of those ones until they actually come into the stories. The cousins, one aunt, and one uncle I do have to do because they live with them - now one more aunt for the uncle's wife now that I think about it - but the other ones can wait until a few chapters in, I think. And I can't skip out on any of them, either, because of how centred around family this story is. Whatever. I think I'm just really burnt out on character profiles after only doing character profiles for the most part for a week and a half. I think I'll focus on worldbuilding and actually getting the story started for this weekend. First, though, I'll have to get the mother's character profile done.

I think I'll alternate between character profiles and worldbuilding for the next couple weeks for the most part. I'm not even close to being done with worldbuilding, especially with the more everyday parts of it. I've been focusing on their religion because of how big a conflict it is the main character's life (she's betrothed (arranged marriage) but not in love, and it makes her question her faith and by the halfway point she's converted to a slightly more tolerant and less traditional version) but I'll need to work on art considering the main character is very art-oriented - she's a singer. Come to think of it, there's a lot of themes: how much say family should have over your life, familial bonds/conflicts, and another one that I'm not really sure how to describe in a few words. Basically, the book takes place during a transition between tradition and modern values, which I think will really ring true for the time we're living in right now, since we're in a transition period, too. The funny thing is, all these themes emerged after taking my characters to the character chatroom and getting a feel for the characters, where I got to develop them more. I would highly recommend the character chatroom, it's a big help for developing characters.

21. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

The mother's character profile is done. I'm tired. It's midnight. Time for bed.

22. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

Didn't get much done today. Got into a book and then stayed up late talking to someone. I got a bit of worldbuilding done and got a few ideas down for the plot, at least.

23. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

I've written! Yes, I've written. Man, it feels good to say that. I feel like an addict who's just gotten their first fix in months. Though of course, this isn't harmful like that would be. So, you know, despite not updating this page at all in the past few days, I have been getting stuff done. Yesterday alone I got about 1.2k down. Of course, there's not really been anything since then, but you get the picture. The words just seemed to flow - it was wonderful.

Writing adrenaline aside, I've also gotten a good amount of worldbuilding done. From now on, I'm going to try and get it done as needed, so I don't spend months just worldbuilding like I've had a habit of doing in the past.

I also have one character profile to do - probably a few more after that, but the most urgent is the main character's cousin who had no set personality at all before writing this, also is one of her best friends, and is turning out to be sarcastic, classy, and a little snotty. I'm excited to see how that last one turns out when they're all being exterminated. Not for the extermination itself, of course, this is going to be a heavy book to write, but to see how a superior person reacts to being shoved in with everyone else without any space to themselves. It's been a long time since I was this excited to write for any lasting amount of time. I'm glad I get to make a profile about someone who's not four years old again, too. The last person I made a profile for was three. That was about as entertaining to do as you might think.

Oh, and I've also started a family tree, because if family is playing such a big role in this book, I have to keep track of it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    marshipan likes this.
  24. SNJade96

SNJade96 Active Member

2.1k more words are written. That finishes up the first scene, and the first chapter. I hate to repeat myself, but I didn't realize how much I missed writing, and this book is so much better developed than the previous one - meaning I won't waste so much time in hating the things I'm writing. (To be fair, that one might not be as bad as I think, though the relationships are definitely not something I'm proud of. I just tend to be overly critical of myself, so I can never trust myself to be my own critic.)

I don't have anything to do tomorrow, so I plan to first get two character profiles done, one for the person I mentioned above, and another for another friend of the main character's. I might have another one to do, too, but I'd like to keep up this streak of writing and not get too bogged down in character profiles again. That being said, I can't just skip out on them altogether. They're rather important, after all. If I don't feel like writing by the time that's done, I'll finish up the family tree.

So, though I had to stay up late to finish it because I took an hour and a half to watch the presidential debate, I now have a grand total of 3,612 words. Far from a novel, but I'm getting started, and I think these beginning scenes are vastly improved from my previous book. It's really fun to write, too, which is...different.

marshipan likes this.
  25. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

Reading through this I have to say, I go through so much of the same progress. My second book has been back burnered for the 3 years, and I finally jumped back in! I havn't gotten as much written as you, but this is def inspirational!

SNJade96 likes this.