Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by SNJade96, May 16, 2020.

1. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I got nothing done. Not everything was in my control, at least - I couldn't get to work for hours later than I normally could, and then couldn't focus at all until my shower drain got clogged and I had to fix that. So, it's not all me.

The problem is, tomorrow, I won't be able to work for pretty much the entire day. Not even pretty much, just the entire day. Because of that, I'll have to shift my intended timeline a bit. I can work on characters all day Saturday, though to be honest I'm not entirely sure what'll happen on Saturday and it might end up being like today for all I know. Assuming that nothing goes on on Saturday, I'll then work on the plot all Sunday, which should be the easiest part. Plot has always been a strength of mine, and considering a lot of my plot typically comes from what'll pressure the characters and what'll make them react in the most interesting ways, I'll probably have an idea of what should happen anyways, and if I need ideas, all I'll need to do is look at character profiles.

Edit: It took me a while to get going, but about an hour later, I've almost completely filled out one character profile - the ony things missing have to do with the plot, which of course, isn't figured out yet. After this profile, I'm really invested in this character - I really think she's a good one. I think I'll put a small, one-sentence descriptor of each of the main characters once I'm done with them. Oh, and by the way, the thing that got me going was finding a different character profile. Once again, deviation from routine proves to help me out a lot. I really just need to start taking into account more, as it's been proven over and over, that my creativity feasts on change and dies with routine.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Gladiolus83, marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  2. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

As expected, I didn't get much done today. I managed to start another of those new character profiles, but didn't get close to finishing it. I now have to stay up until 2 a.m...ugh. Despite my complaining, I'm actually happy to. This isn't something I dread. It just means I'll probably get to work later tomorrow, as I'll sleep in a little longer than I normally would. I'm excited to work on the other characters, though.

3. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I think I'm going to have to take a lot of breaks from TitN, just because of how heavy the content is and how depressing it is. I really want to get through it, but occasionally I'm going to have to switch over to more light-hearted projects. Though, you know, I don't really write light-hearted stuff. It's hard for me to care about it if there's not some layer of darkness to it. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Anyway, I've kept working on SP. I didn't get as much done as I would've liked to, though I'm trying not to be too hard on myself because the thing that cropped up was, for once, completely out of my control. I finished one more character profile and got mot of the way through another, and I now know what the first chapter is going to be. Admittedly, I already had an idea of what I wanted it to be in the original first idea that I got, but I've got the specifics down now. I did say that my plot would start coming to me once I got into the characters, no?

I'd keep working, but it's late and I need to get to bed to avoid sleeping in a little too much like I did this morning.

marshipan, Gladiolus83 and Lifeline like this.
  4. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I've finished one more character profile, and got about halfway through another one. Again, not as much work as I wanted. This time, it was mostly my fault and just not being able to focus on anything. Frustrating. I don't really have anything else to report. Hopefully I'll have more tomorrow.

marshipan, Lifeline and Gladiolus83 like this.
  5. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

One more character profile done. I didn't get to work until about 10:00 p.m., as I just felt really tired, which makes sense because of circumstances that I don't feel comfortable sharing over the internet. (It's not a huge thing.) I didn't end up taking a nap, because I just really hate naps and cannot take them, but I took my equivalent of a nap: meaning I laid down wrapped in a blanket and watched videos for about five hours. On the bright side, I'm slowly compiling ideas for the plot. I guess they're not actually ideas, but I can feel the potential for ideas, and I know I can definitely come up with ideas very easily. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, not much done. I don't feel as annoyed at myself about it as I did yesterday, probably because I'm so tired. I'll make sure to get to work as soon as possible tomorrow, turn off my phone, and just work. I'll catch up. Or I'll put on some music. We'll see how I feel. One last note, though: If I hear one more Christmas song before Thanksgiving I'm going to kill someone.

6. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

About half more of a character profile. Again, at least this wasn't entirely my fault: I had a lot of work to do, and then I had to fulfill a promise to a family member. I still have myself to blame for everything after that, though. I'm having a lot of trouble getting back into the headspace. Things just keep coming up, and I just cannot get anything done. Damn, I really hope this series of circumstances stops after this weekend. After I'm done with this character profile, I'll detail the character's relationships and then come up with some ideas for the plot. That should go over the weekend, and then I'll spend the rest of next week's weekdays fleshing out the world, though I doubt I'll get a huge amount done, considering, you know, Thanksgiving and all that. Though, it's not like it'll be huge, what with the virus and all. I don't want to plan any farther than that in case I run out of motivation, considering how I'm now going about things.

7. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Finished all the profiles for the main characters. I still don't have a good feel for some of them, and considering there are five of them, they really need to have a unique voice. First, though, I'll figure out the relationships between them. Then, I'll use some prompts to figure out the voices.

I've been having a lot of trouble getting back into the groove of things. Hopefully, if I don't figure that out over this weekend, I can get that fixed over Thanksgiving.

8. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Still, having trouble getting into the groove of things. Seriously, things keep happening that push back my writing time farther, and if I don't get started by a certain time, I find it really hard to get going.

So, I didn't get much done. I did detail a few of the relationships, and fill out some that I already had written out from when I got ideas earlier. I finished one prompt, and got partially through another one. I think my characterization here is better than it has been in earlier projects, because I'm trying to focus on giving the characters unique voices right now, and the three that were in the finished prompt have a fairly developed one. Now that I'm done with character profiles, there are two characters that I'm specifically very excited to develop.

That being said, I can feel my excitement and motivation for this starting to ebb. That other project, No Home, I'm starting to think about more. I'm going to try and get a little work done on TitN before moving on to that one first, though. I'll find a new character profile to fill out for the two characters that got me stuck and really turned me off of TitN, try and finish writing Chapter 4 of that, and then move on to NH. If my motivation for TitN isn't revived from that.

I will say, having run out of motivation for TitN hasn't been permanent as I feared - getting about three chapters into a story and then quitting has been a common theme in my earlier failed attempts to write a book. Thankfully, I think it's just that I, as a person, naturally find it hard to focus on one thing for the months it takes to write a book. As a side note, as well: I'm learning to solve a Rubik's Cube. I'm really enjoying it, actually. I've always found it much easier to focus on things when my hands are doing something else, and considering how much I'm just sitting around these days with the pandemic and all, having something to occupy my hands is helpful.

9. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Motivation for SP has been reinvigorated after I got an idea: obviously, having nuanced villains whose motivations can be understood but not agreed with are fairly common. However, having a main character agree with the villain and genuinely side with them, at least for a while, are less common - rare, in my experience, but I'm sure there's more books that do that than I think. Either way, I do think it's an interesting idea for the story and I have a character perfectly suited to the role - I got the idea specifically from her character, after all. I'm not sure whether it would be better to tell that story from her perspective, so the reader can be privy to all her conflict about the subject, or whether it would be better to make it a true betrayal and make it a surprise for the reader. I'll decide as I get the rest of the plot figured out, because I don't just want to cut her point of view altogether for shock value. Personally, I'm leaning towards telling it from her perspective - not only would it show her inner conflict, but with other events, it would truly show how nuanced the villains of the story are.

I'm also realizing that a main theme of this novel is redemption. Almost every character goes through a "redemption arc" (not quite what you're thinking, but I can't think of a better term) of some sort, whether that's to become better people, repair relationships, or literally come back to the protagonists' side.

10. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Not much done. I've moved on to developing characters specifically in how they relate to the plot, and I'm getting a better idea of what will happen now. I've mostly gotten backstories and physical mannerisms down today, as I'm trying to develop each character's specific voice at the moment, something I've struggled with greatly in the past.

11. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I actually got a lot done today, finally. I'm doing some really detailed character profiles now, because something I've always struggled with is having a solid and consistent idea of who a character is. So, the downside is that these character profiles take a ridiculously long time, but the upside is that it'll result in having better characters in the finished product, so I'd say it's worth it. I'm also gathering more ideas for what I want to happen, though obviously I can't exactly relate those over here.

Though there is Thanksgiving this week, I doubt I'll actually get a lot of work done, as I have to clean up my (very messy) room because I'm getting a new bedframe. There'll be a lot of changes happening to my bedroom, so I might have to put my writing aside for a week or so until that's all done. I won't have to deal with that until Thanksgiving, though, so I'll just try and get as much work done over the first half of this week as possible.

marshipan, Gladiolus83 and Lifeline like this.
  12. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I've just been doing character stuff to try and figure out more plot. I haven't gotten any big plot ideas since yesterday, but I'm developing the characters a lot more, and they're becoming stronger figures in my mind. I can't give any sort of specifics without spoiling anything, so that's really all I have to say as to what I got done.

I'll have to get a lot done tomorrow if I want to match the rough schedule I have in my head. I hope that it's gone by then so I can really get going, but I have a slight headache and I'm a little nauseous. It's not anything I can't ignore but just enough for me to notice it and for it to bother me and distract me. Ugh. Fun.

13. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I did manage to get a decent amount done. I got two of the much more complicated character profiles done, which considering how long that takes, I'm surprised. I'm not kidding when I say those things take hours. Anyway, I think I'll take a bit of a break from character stuff tomorrow, as I doubt I'll have enough time to do any of the long character profiles. Instead, I'll have to focus on coming up with the rules of the magic system. I've been able to put it aside for this long because the characters themselves have to figure it out as they're the first ones to ever use magic, but before I move forward with the plot that much farther, I've got to figure that out. Something tells me that'll be the key to getting the rest of the plot down.

Either way, I probably won't get a lot done tomorrow. Most of my free time will be taken up with cleaning up the room for that new bedframe, so if I don't post anything tomorrow that'll be why.

14. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

The good news? Everything room-wise is now done, so that won't be messing up my schedule anymore. Well, there might be one more thing, but we'll have to wait and see how that plays out. The bad news? I've gotten nothing done, and I feel no motivation to do...anything.

I've been thinking about taking a break for a while. Just a short one, likely less than a week. I think it's gotten something to do with the fact that I've been doing nothing but write in my free time for months now, ever since Covid hit, since the rest of my interests have had to have been put on hold since I'm trapped in my home. And, as I've said on this journal before, I love change, and if I do the same thing every single day, I'm bound to get tired of it real fast. I'm honestly surprised I've gotten this far. So basically, I'm thinking of taking a break for a few days and just reading. Again, I've mentioned this before, but I hadn't read single book in the pandemic that wasn't a re-read (and even those amounted to about two) until about two weeks ago, when I read two books, a duology. I haven't read anything before or since. I'm going to base my decision on how I feel tomorrow. If I decide to, I'll be taking a break over the weekend, and then maybe longer. Either way, it won't be a huge amount. I mean, the last time I tried to take a break I lasted about three days, so even if I don't have motivation, per sé, I tend to feel a need to start working again.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gladiolus83, Lifeline and marshipan like this.
  15. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Just to confirm, I did in fact take a break. It doesn't end until I have free time tomorrow, so it's not like I have anything to report. I'm not feeling invigorated to get back to it yet, but I've decided to dive back in to TitN, motivation be damned...because if I'm being really honest, I think I'd be really excited to go back to it if I didn't have to do that damn character profile. So I think I'll use tomorrow to just finish that thing. Because there's a good chance it'll take a long time. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it. After that I'll probably go through and edit the three chapters that are finished so I can get back into the tone and the character voices.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  16. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't edit first. After just a few seconds of reading it over, even though it's not bad at all, I'm getting the whole "everything I have done is absolutely horrible and I should abandon it" thing. I should probably wait, then.

I got a bit of the character profile done. I'm still dealing with that weird mental block, but I'll deal with that and push through. Once I really get going and get comfortable with the idea, I hope I'll be fine. And that's not really anything I want to get into on the internet, anyway.

marshipan, Lifeline and montecarlo like this.
  17. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

A little bit more done on the character profile. I'll stop talking about the mental block now, as I'm sure everyone's heard enough of it. It seems a little bit better today, though I bet it'll come back with a vengeance as soon as I actually start to write. (That's the last of it.) Beyond that, there's nothing. It is hard to get back into a project after a break, as though I haven't stopped writing altogether I've been on a break from TitN for a few weeks now, so I'm trying not to blame myself all too much for so little progress. That combined with the aforementioned problem has been stopping me from getting...basically anything done. I'll have to try and immerse myself more in the mindset in the coming days.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess? In a sudden burst, I finally seemed to break through that wall and finish it. Hopefully, it'll now be a little less high when I actually start writing. Tomorrow, I have to do one more character profile before moving on. I think I can stomach it a lot better this time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020 at 6:15 AM
    marshipan, Lifeline and montecarlo like this.
  18. montecarlo

montecarlo Member

Sometimes when I am stuck I try a couple of things.

One is interview my characters. I ask them questions and let them reply in first person. What was it like growing up? How did you feel when you found out your mom had cancer?

Another is take one element of the bigger story and try to work it into a short story. For instance, I may take a character out of a dystopian setting for my main WIP, and then put them on a spaceship hunted by a serial killer. Then I just write stream of consciousness and learn more about that character.

YMMV

-MC

SNJade96 and Lifeline like this.
  19. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Thankfully, I got past it, but I'll definitely try one of these next time I get stuck. One thing I know I'll try if it gets really bad, is I'll come up with some characteristic that'll make the character really interesting and start asking why? And just ask why about everything until I can't go any farther. Thanks for the ideas!

20. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

I felt horrible today. I had a horrendous migraine for a while and then felt exhausted from having been unable to fall asleep the night before. There's been something going around my house over the past few weeks, so I might've finally caught that. Then again, I will occasionally just have these random one-off days where I feel sick but turn out to apparently not be sick, so it might be that, too. Anyway, as a result, I didn't get a lot done. Bad timing, though - just as I was getting into it again. Hopefully it is a one-off thing and I can get back to it tomorrow.

I still got about a third of the way through the other character profile. I'm not tired of it, so I think I actually did break through. We'll see if that holds, though. I'm planning on finishing the profile tomorrow, and then I can finally start to write.

marshipan and Lifeline like this.
  21. Lifeline

Lifeline North of South. Staff Contributor

I'm all for it. Planning is the necessary bane of writing, but it seems like you don't let it consume you :)

SNJade96 likes this.