Progress toward publication of Flank Hawk

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TWErvin2, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    It looks...so...professional! *eyes water up*

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Twisted Inversely and Cogito, I can only agree. I think it's "cool" too!

Ashleigh, even though it is coming out with a small press, I think the cover surpasses most that I come across on the bookstore shelf. Professional, I appreciate that description. It means in the eye of a potential reader, they'll be both intrigued and also be prepared for a quality product/read.

As I have stated on this forum before, there are a number of folks that frequent here that with some focused effort on preparing their work(s) for submission, they'd have a decent shot at finding a publisher.

A writer has to work long and hard, getting the story told in the best way possible and polishing the manuscript for submission--and actually researching markets and submitting. It does mean that one risks rejection. But one cannot succeed in finding their work published, with respect to novels, short stories, poetry, non-fiction books and articles unless they put in the required effort and take the risk.

I have a short list of successes and a far longer list of rejections. But, in my view, each rejection was worth the effort of sending.

Terry

3. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Thanks for sharing this! We need to hear more success stories like this to give us hope and motivation to keep writing on.

The cover is tooo good. My 7 year old son just gave it a two thumbs up as well.

4. TWErvin2

Mcarpenter,
    I am glad to be able to share good news, and hope that many others here will be able to do the same. And thanks for relaying the assessment of your son. Kids are honest about such things.

Terry

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't have a credit card, so I can't order it, but if I see it at Chapters or Indigo, I'll do one better than turning it face out (if I can spare the money).

6. TWErvin2

Rei,

I fully understand that many folks are not sitting around with cash falling out of their pockets. Even if Flank Hawk is a good read, it may not be a priority. In the past I've requested local libraries to order/purchase a novel that I wanted to read. I sometimes had success.

Special ordering at local bookstores is one way that encourages the stores to carry novels from smaller publishers on their shelves, or sometimes a particular title.

If credit cards are an issue, I will be offering (information will be forthcoming on my website) signed copies that can be mail to individuals. Once I have an actual print version in hand, I can determine how much it will cost to mail (within the USA and estimate outside of the USA) to send. As such, local bookstores would probably be 2-3 dollars cheaper if one special orders through them (but of course they would't be signed). I will also be offering signed book plates to mail to individuals who have purchased my novel.

Terry

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Cool. A signed copy would be awesome.

8. TWErvin2

Rei,

I agree. Signed copies are pretty darn cool. I have quite a few from authors I've met online and in person, and they're on a special spot on my bookshelf upstairs.

With authors like Sandra Kring and others, I've obtained copies, signed to individuals (friends and family) and give them as birthday or Christmas presents. I like to give books as gifts, and it adds just a little bit extra. I've done this with NaCl's novel too.

Terry

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

And I very much appreciate it...again, thank you, Terry.

FYI - it cost me a little over $2 to ship my books anywhere in the USA using USPS Media Mail rates. I am presently making arrangements with the National Guard to donate 200 books to the soldiers in Afghanistan. The NG, or the 501C3 charity conduit that I am going through, will be handling the shipping costs. Sending you a private note about the "accounting" for such donations.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I only have two signed copies of books. One is a cookbook, signed when the author was at an in-store book signing. The other is a mystery novel signed by the author, the wife of a friend and colleague, in which she used my last name for one of her characters.

11. TWErvin2

NaCl,

Got your PM. As stated in my reply, I was looking into sending books via another route, but yours may be more efficient and effective.

Cogito,

That you can recall the two books on your shelf that are signed says something. You'll have the chance very soon to have a third ;)

Beyond that, I just recently cleared it with my publisher for a contest for a reader to name a character in my next First Civilization's Legacy novel.

Terry

12. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

I really wish you all the best Terry, and if possible im sure i'd like to get the book when it comes out, and a signed copy would indeed be the icing on the cake.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thank you. That is very kind of you, Terry.