1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Progress with Novels & Author Related Projects

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by TWErvin2, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributing Member

Congrats. Are you able to write more during summer vacation?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Thanks, Stormburn.

Yes, I accomplish more writing in the summer. Hopefully this summer I will do better as I will not be grading e-course work. :)

3. TWErvin2

Thunders Wells in audiobook is doing pretty well (Thunder Wells Audio #1 at Gryphonwood Press), which is cool :)

Writing wise, I've worked on updating my website and a newsletter release, but no words added to any project.

School wise, the seniors had their last day yesterday. The juniors have another week. One of the last things I did with my seniors was to make pipe cleaner animals. If you've read The Five People You Meet in Heaven, which was our class novel this year, you'd understand. It was a good way to end they year, and at least for English, their high school career.

Stormburn likes this.
  4. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributing Member

Congrats on the success of Thunders Wells.

5. TWErvin2

Thanks, Stormburn. It's moderate success, but better than nothing :)

6. TWErvin2

Well, the 2016-17 school year is completed. I have some projects to focus on over the summer to prepare for next year, but nothing that requires constant, immediate attention, like grading, lessons, communication with parents, and state mandated evaluator paperwork.

As I won't be grading e-course English this summer, that will free up time for additional writing. The per hour rate of financial reimbursement for grading e-course work is on average greater than the time put into writing, but such grading correspondence with students having difficulties isn't really of very much interest. It's important, but teaching over the internet has its limitations.

I wrote on my blog about some audiobooks I have been listening to so that I might refresh my grammar and usage skills related to my writing (and teaching) and some to support knowledge to improve my fantasy writing endeavors.

Here is the link of you might be interested: Efforts to Improve Knowledge and Skills for Writing

Sent out a newsletter, announcing the release of Thunder Wells in audiobook, and offered some free copies through Audible. Had a couple takers. While audiobooks are becoming more popular, they still lag in wide popularity or interest.

Not much else. Probably should get writing, eh?

7. TWErvin2

Although it might need a bit of refinement, a fun line I wrote last night on a new project:

They were big and burly and, seemingly like everyone else, on the grimy side of the soap debate.

8. TWErvin2

Mainly, I have been working on what would be termed a LitRPG novel. Fantasy, for me, loosely associated with a Role Playing Game.

I decided to give this a try because it's something that I can write quickly. Since June I am already over 30,000 words into the first draft. Science Fiction, which is another project on my plate, Relic Shield, which I have started, takes a very long time. I am also in the middle of Cavern, a novella in the Dane Maddock Kindle World Series.

The sad thing is that I can only write one project at a time. I don't multi task well. But I want to use my summer efficiently, and possibly get pretty much 2 LitRPG novels written before school starts, and the novella. Then, as winter sets in, finish the SF novel. That just requires a lot of research and calculation, and adherence to what has already been established in the previous two novels in the series, so it takes a lot longer to write. The bits of research are something that I could effectively fit in between lesson planning and grading and other things.

Two novels (I don't think they'll both be fully revised by mid August) and a novella is an ambitious goal for me, but something to shoot for.

In other news, I had a pretty successful presentation last week Thursday (Here is a link for pics and info for the follow up on my blog: Follow Up from Westerville Presentation on World Building), and I am part of a panel this Thursday in Bexley, Ohio at their library (Info here: Building a Better World Through Fiction ).

I have two events in July, and two in August (one I was just invited to). I will post info on those, for anyone who might be interested, as they get closer.

Anyway, got to go off and do some writing.