Project Journal: The Silver Shrike

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by X Equestris, May 30, 2018.

1. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I've got a few short stories I've had in mind for a while, so I'll probably give those a shot. Actually finishing an entire project again would be nice.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. X Equestris

Edited my progress so far on the sequel yesterday.

After finishing and submitting a new short story on Monday, I spent this week figuring out where to go next. My current plan is to make another pass over The Silver Shrike, then start querying agents. Complete radio silence from Hydra Publications makes me think they're a dead letter.

Once I send out that first set of queries, I'll work on a couple more short stories before returning to the sequel and trying to finish off its First Act before the end of the year.

Stormburn likes this.
  3. X Equestris

Waded into another round of editing today, which included basically rewriting a whole page.

Stormburn likes this.
  4. X Equestris

Still forging ahead with editing, though my progress is excruciatingly slow. In some ways, this pass has turned into a rewrite. Not of the plot or characters, by and large, but the prose. I guess it's my perfectionism rearing its head again.

At this rate, I'm doubtful I'll work on the sequel again this year. Editing/Rewriting The Silver Shrike will probably take a few months, minimum.

marshipan and Stormburn like this.
  5. X Equestris

Wow, it's been a while since I updated this thread!

I'm still early in this polish/rewrite pass through The Silver Shrike; right now I'm taking a break from it to work on a short story for a pro-rate anthology I've got a great idea for. Once that's done--or the deadline passes--I'm pouring all my energy into getting the book ready for agents. In fact, that's my only resolution for this year.

6. X Equestris

After cramming to finish that short story by the anthology's deadline (I sent it off with 9 minutes to spare!) and taking some time to work on a personal project, I'm finally turning my attention back to Silver Shrike material. I aim to resume editing/rewriting the original novel once April rolls around.

Lately, I've been pondering whether a complete overhaul of The Silver Shrike and the series at large might be in order. Narrowing the scope, honing in on Zeno, and pushing some plots or characters (such as Augur and the Lost Souls) to later books could produce a much better story. At the same time, abandoning about 150,000 words of material is a daunting prospect and might not be worth it.

I don't intend to make any decisions on that front until my current pass over The Silver Shrike is finished. Given my perfectionism and penchant for second guessing, I think I'll find some beta readers to offer some more objective perspectives as well.

marshipan and Stormburn like this.
  7. X Equestris

Circumstances conspire to delay my edit/rewrite of The Silver Shrike once again. The ongoing pandemic means my brothers need every computer in the house for distance learning, so I'll be setting aside my 'writer' hat in favor of 'teacher'. Until halfway through May, at least.

Alan Aspie, Stormburn and marshipan like this.