1. godsandgenerals4ever

godsandgenerals4ever New Member

Short Story How many times does a short story manuscript need to be proofread for "soft spots"

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by godsandgenerals4ever, Nov 3, 2011.

Yesterday I prematurely launched a short story towards an ezine and promptly cancelled my submission today explaining I wanted to try again with a better text.
    This aspect of short story writing is very frustrating to me. Time and again I pounded out stories only to detect after I sent them out typos, poor story pacing, and other flaws which resulted in rejection slips.
    I really put all my heart into my latest effort and want it published so bad I can taste it. But no matter how hard I try, I keep finding something to fix.
    Just how long do you have to proofread a short story before it is done?

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Until you're happy with it.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I agree with Trilby. But sooner or later you have to bite the bullet and just send it, or you'll be editing forever. I'd suggest that, after you've sent it off, reading it through again is a mistake.

4. Lightman

Lightman Active Member

I can't answer that question, but one thing I find helpful that I'd recommend if you don't do it already - read it out loud. This helps for two reasons - grammatically bad English becomes apparent quickly (though this isn't full-proof, as sometimes the brain just substitutes in the right thing without noticing what's wrong), and aesthetically bad English might become a little more obvious.

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Set aside the story for a while...then come back and reread it. Read it out loud to yourself. Have someone else read it, before sending off to publishers. In the big scheme of things, waiting a few weeks before sending a story isn't a big deal. You only get one shot with each publisher with each story.

6. godsandgenerals4ever

godsandgenerals4ever New Member

One shot at publishing

So you get one chance at publishing even if you cancel your inital submission?

7. Jabby J

Jabby J New Member

Everyone has their own process. I suck at both spelling and grammar, so I give myself three drafts to check for that on my own, then I find someone who I know is good at both to take a look at it for me. On the other hand, my actual story telling I feel is adequate and I typically don't change much of that after the story has been finished....

Granted I have never been published... I plan on jumping into that pond shortly so we'll see if the process evolves or not.

8. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Until no more mistakes are found.

...Hilarity ensues.

9. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No, I expect if you cancelled your own submission, the market in question would look at a revised version.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...or not!

some editors might, but i wouldn't count on it... 'twould be best to follow all the good advice given above, so you don't have to 'cancel' anything...

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I would say that if you keep sending and cancelling stuff, it's going to look pretty bad on you. Don't make yourself a nuisance to them or else they'll stick your email in the junk folder. Remember, you need them - they don't need you. Once is OK, but don't make it a habit.