1. punchthedamnkeys

punchthedamnkeys Member

pros and cons of writing a story's ending before the middle..

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by punchthedamnkeys, Apr 4, 2013.

i can see how my novel will play out, but i'm having problems figuring out the middle part - how it'll lead to the climax.

if i write the ending without completing everything before it, i see how i won't be emotionally attached to the story so that could affect it i guess..

2. Jacco

Jacco New Member

JK Rowling famously wrote the ending to Harry Potter long before she even finished the series. It's good to have an idea of how it'll all play out, but you can't be too attached to it. Stories and plots are organic; they tend to go where they want to go. So while you you can write the ending and it can help to have an end to work toward, don't be surprised if it ends up needing to be changed to accommodate the plot as you work toward it.

In my manuscript, I wrote a seriously epic ending before I had the middle done and when I finally got to the end, I had to rewrite almost the entire thing. But it's better for it now anyway. So just don't get too attached and you should be fine.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Write it in whatever order works best for you. In any case, you'll have plenty of opportunity to make it all fit together during revision passes.

4. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

You should really write whatever is fresh in your mind. If you wait until you get to it in the story, you might forget important nuances.