1. Jade Lydda

Jade Lydda New Member

Prose styles sanity check

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jade Lydda, Aug 25, 2017.

Please help me with a very short critique of the prose style below. I have taken non-special 3 paragraphs out, to see if the style is annoying or whatever. Your advice is very much appreciated!

City dust blew in his eyes. He rubbed them, squinted at the sunshine and looked left and right as he crossed the road by Chancery Lane Tube station. Being tall, he took large strides and, maybe every ten on the pavement along High Holborn, he reminded himself, as he always did, of his sister’s admonishment to have good posture. “Imagine a rope coming out of the top of your head like a candlewick and then down through your spine to your tail bone and then imagine someone pulls it taut.” And he was upright again and physically impressive he thought.

Cutting left, the dust got worse and in turn he squinted tighter so that he could only see the world through his lashes. Enough of an image got through so that he could avoid bumping into people or wildly pacing off into the road, but combined with the loud music from his insulating headphones, Philip was as cut off as if were in a limo with dark-tinted windows, and were lying down, peeking out, being bumped up with potholes in the road and uncomfortable with the aircon broken. Still, given his thoughts or paying attention the hectic city around him, he chose to remain in his thoughts – there was a lot of legal nonsense to deal with and the world seemed in unending tumult.

Now in a rush, only tempering his pace as when he thought he might be sweating through his shirt too much - better not to meet his lawyer soaked and smelling! Philip cut right again onto the street with the restaurant, stopped in a bit of shade and looked at himself in a darkened shop window. He fixed his hair, pulled the sides of his jacket down so that it fit better and re-tucked the front of his white shirt in. ‘I hope she’s there first’ he thought, ‘since she is paying, I need her to set the tone and I hope the tone includes drinks!’

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

This sentence makes no sense to me and is impossible to relate to or visualise.

There's a few clumsy sentences in there and missing words, and the whole thing is a bit too fussy for my liking. Also, the very last 'thought' comes across as a blatant info dump.

It needs simplifying, a lot.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I find myself wanting to quibble about some errors of grammar and some details. But I think style and voice are fine.

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I'm solidly in @OurJud 's camp.

OurJud likes this.
  5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

To clarify, I totally agree with @OurJud 's specific criticisms, other than "fussy". (I see the ways that the style could be described as fussy, I'm just OK with it.)

I just think that the other specific criticisms could be dealt with without a fundamental change in style/voice.

OurJud likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I agree with the rest. The style and voice is fine in a vacuum but the execution and verbiage could use some housekeeping. The imagery will pop a bit more of you cull some of the clutter around it. Some examples for poops and grins:

The sentence @OurJud mentioned is irreparable, I'm afraid, but some of the things around it can probably be salvaged. Mainly what I did here was to whack phrases that do nothing but exaggerate unnecessary "stage direction" or use multiple words to connect clauses where one (or none) will do.

OurJud and Trish like this.
  7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Chiming in, the limo analogy also did not work at all for me; it was confusing at best and pretentious at worst. I found it to be excessively wordy as others have pointed out; I prefer writing that's more straightforward, though, so that could be my individual taste coming into play.