Psi powers in sci-fi and armless protagonist

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by LotusMegami, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I would have only put you at three-quarters douche snarky.

DaveOlden likes this.
  2. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

It is disrespectful to dismiss someone. The quote you cited is used as a dismissal in the real world.

3. DaveOlden

DaveOlden Member

I can understand that, thank you.

('Full douche' I still consider a direct insult).

4. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

dismissing ideas about genre and definitions of such subjective matters is fundamentally preposterous. at best we can form opinions that make sense to us and maybe others. And the only thing that can possibly make you more right than anyone else is the amount of people that agree with you. Which I think is kind of a terrible way to judge any who

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

That's is fine, because I think the dismissal was an insult. But no worries. We don't need to exchange ideas anymore.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think that would be interesting to read. Though what parameters(rules) do you have for your MC? Is it something that can be done on the fly, or is it something that "costs" them something to use the powers? Like does the MC have to rest or do something to replenish after using the powers, and would it be after each or multiple uses? I remember reading about a special ops characters that had a metal alloy laminated over their bones and fitted with servos to compensate for the extra weight. The price paid was that they lived shorter lives over all as a result of the procedure even with nanites to supplement the bodies physiology. I guess what I am wondering is just how far your MC's strengths/weaknesses go. Ultimately it is up to you on how technical you get into depth with it. From what I understand is that having some sort of limitations gives the overall effect that your MC is not so overwhelming that they are "God" like. Look at the Xanth series(if you can call 27 books a trilogy) the MC Bink has no magical ability, and is impervious to magic, but that does not make him invincible.

Hope this helps even just a little bit. Best of luck.

7. Adrian Perron

Adrian Perron New Member

I personally have always loved psi powers in novels, assuming its displayed appropriately. I believe in giving it drastic limitations or drawbacks. One way I have thought of doing this is by limiting the type of use based on race or character. For example: Humans may learn a way to use it to move objects, our mental "physiology" in a way prevents us from using it in another way, such as heating or cooling an object.

Similar to the way a focus may direct light to be a flashlight, or a laser and have extremely varying uses, I believe Psi powers may be limited by genes in the same manner. The reason why humans could not gain the abilities or "learn" the same methods of others is because it would take a literal rework of their brains thus killing them, or, making them an entirely different being. Another thing I imagine is to vary the intensity. For example: You could have person A, He has control and power but lacks endurance while person B has endurance but no punch. Much like a Endurance runner vs a sprinter vary in talents, I feel that I can vary the level of psi-power as well. I may allow my aliens use of psi be moving objects, but they can only move lots of small objects. While humanity has the backbone, and one man can move a battleship. That power is much more useful in battle as opposed to throwing thousands of tiny pellets at a wall.

With imagination you can really spice up any idea and make it plausible or suit your needs. So much is unknown about the universe that I view it as an opportunity to explore the implausible and make it possible.